Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 20 of 374 FirstFirst ... 10 19 20 21 30 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I read a business magazine article the other day that referred to "dotcom corporate culture" and the phrase appeared to be used in a semi-disparaging context. I think I know what they were talking about, but I need some external confirmation. What does the phrase mean to you?
    I think it's business-speak for: "those lazy, birkenstock-wearing Silicon Valley tech managers need to tighten up and make their shareholders more profits"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    I think it's business-speak for: "those lazy, birkenstock-wearing Silicon Valley tech managers need to tighten up and make their shareholders more profits"
    It sounds like your understanding of the term is slightly different from mine. When I hear the phrase 'dotcom corporate culture' I tend to picture in my mind a bunch of twenty something 'executives' who don't subscribe to any dress code (I suppose that might include wearing birkenstocks, but to me birkenstocks are more closely associated with granola types), have little regard for corporate traditions and justify extravagent expenditures of things like video arcade break rooms or employee golf-carts on the basis that they create an environment where 'creativity can flow'.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I got copies of our free annual credit report from each of the national credit reporting agencies today. The last time I did that was before we refinanced our house in 2009; now we're thinking about moving, and I wanted to make sure everything is as it should be.

Have YOU checked your credit report lately?

This is a public service announcement, brought to you by Mud Princess.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Heidi Klum is back on the market.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    Heidi Klum is back on the market.
    Unsealed
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Unsealed
    groan!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    I got copies of our free annual credit report from each of the national credit reporting agencies today. The last time I did that was before we refinanced our house in 2009; now we're thinking about moving, and I wanted to make sure everything is as it should be.

Have YOU checked your credit report lately?

This is a public service announcement, brought to you by Mud Princess.
    I get one every four months. That way I have an idea if there are any issues sooner than once a year... and it is free!
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    I get one every four months. That way I have an idea if there are any issues sooner than once a year... and it is free!
    That's the way I do it. I also keep all the old copies so that I can compare what has changed over time on each of them.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    That's the way I do it. I also keep all the old copies so that I can compare what has changed over time on each of them.
    I've done it both ways (all at once and every 4 months). You may catch it quicker by spreading them out but I've found that errors typically only happen in one of the three so maybe not. I personally find it more productive and manageable to get all three at the same time and compare them to each other.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I wonder if any Cyburbians have a birthday today? If there hypothetically were they would be listed at the bottom of the forums page on the left hand side
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I wonder if any Cyburbians have a birthday today? If there hypothetically were they would be listed at the bottom of the forums page on the left hand side
    If there were, RJ would surely have noticed. He does all the heavy lifting here.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    The new Austin on Days of Our Lives is creepy looking.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    If there were, RJ would surely have noticed. He does all the heavy lifting here.
    That is true. No one else posesses the wherewithal.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Based on the pile of sugary, pre-packaged treats there are in the break room, somebody in my office must have stopped by the Hostess baked goods outlet store today.

Somehow, I simultaneously love and hate that person.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Is Rumpy even around anymore? I usually only start them for people who post pretty often....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2005
    Having a difficult time concentrating at work lately, waiting for this short sale process to play itself out.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    The past sure is tense

The pasture is tense

Registered
    Jan 2005
    The past sure is tense

The pasture is tense
    The pasture is tents.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    The pasture is tents.
    The past sure is intense.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    No intent to pass... sure.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    The pasture is tents.
    the past sure is now,
    I don't see how
    see those people that used to throw those tents,
    you can't see them now: they're in past tense

Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    No intent to pass... sure.
    Sherpa's intents

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Pasteur est mort.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Pasteur est mort.
    Your intent sure is past

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Why does it always have to be about them!?!?!?!?
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Why does it always have to be about them!?!?!?!?
    I know! It is all about me!!!!

Closed thread
Page 20 of 374 FirstFirst ... 10 19 20 21 30 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 01 Jan 2014, 12:58 AM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 01 Jan 2012, 12:53 AM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 01 Jan 2009, 12:43 AM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 7:05 AM