Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 208 of 374 FirstFirst ... 198 207 208 209 218 ... LastLast
Results 5,176 to 5,200 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Paula Broadwell. All In.

Well...I better not write anything more.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post

My dog doesn't listen to me anymore. She's a total sweetheart, but she won't come when called. Well, I love her anyway.
    My dogs are not listening to me very well right now either. They are bored and not getting enough attention. Last weekend, the Dane acted like a crazed lunatic/spoiled brat and barked at me and ran around the house trying to get away from me so he could visit some guests when I was trying to get him to calm down. He never does that kind of thing. That was a wake-up moment. Going to start walking the dummies at least 3 days per week again so they get some much needed exercise and attention.

P.S. when a sleep deprived woman with a newborn is trying to tell her dog to sit down, do not look at said dog and speak to it in a soft, soothing voice and say things like, "Hi sweetie", while holding out your hand. That just encourages the dog not to listen to its Mommy. :smack guests in the head:
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Switched from Allstate to USAA for homeowner's insurance and saved almost $200/yr and significantly increased the coverage. Yay!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Switched from Allstate to USAA for homeowner's insurance and saved almost $200/yr and significantly increased the coverage. Yay!
    So when are you going to be in their commercial ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I'm going to go get a pedicure in hopes of lifting my spirits slightly. (Not because of the homeowners insurance but because of some other life decisions.)
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I took my dog to a nearby nature preserve this morning and we had a very nice walk. She does enjoy getting exercise... and it benefits both of us.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    We had our first frost of the year last night.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I love USAA! We have them for all our insurance needs.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Test post

EDIT:

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2001
    ZG and I attended the second of two message classes at our community college this morning. We learned plenty and intend to try the techniques.

The instructor discovered the tender area on the right side of my spine that causes me trouble on occasion.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Happy 237th birthday Marines!

Semper Fi!

Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    I love USAA! We have them for all our insurance needs.
    I love USAA as well. We use them for our cars, life insurance, some CDs (they had slightly better rates than Navy Federal) and some personal property insurance. The only thing we don't use them for is our homeownership plan. We use a local broker for that and got a much better deal than USAA was willing to write us. While car insurance rates from the reputable companies seem to be relatively standard across the board, I found homeowner's insurance rates to have some huge swings in prices, often for the same coverage.

Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    So when are you going to be in their commercial ?
    I don't understand those USAA commercials. I earned my membership in boot camp. Wouldn't all the members have first earned their membership in boot camp or OCS or one of the service academies (or maybe an ROTC program)? I mean, you must have to stop off there before you wind up fighting over the Pacific or something...
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Aug 2001
    It's critical to have place to come home after a hard day of work to stretch out and relax.

A 17-acre site on White Trout Lake in North Tampa’s Carrollwood area will soon be home to the largest house in Hillsborough County — approx. 63,000-square feet.

TAMPA — Six years in the planning, work has begun on a 17-acre family compound on White Trout Lake in Carrollwood, the future home of cardiologist Kiran C. Patel, who adds home builder, interior designer and landscape architect to his many titles.

It's a monumental undertaking, but a labor of love, designed to house three generations now, with the goal of many more to come. Living in such close proximity will support and sustain their Eastern values, believes Patel, who arrived in the United States 36 years ago, on Thanksgiving Day 1976.

http://www.tampabay.com/

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Don't forget these small details -

three guest homes, a staff house, a 12-car garage and a 3,600-square-foot maintenance building.
    Better link: http://www.tampabay.com/news/humanin...cle1260780.ece
    Oddball

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner View post
    Upon further review, a yellow card wasn't warranted...but I'll repost my "response."

We get it. You don't like "yantees." But come on, you're not comparing apples to apples here. This was a storm that has crippled the only form of transportation millions of people in the region have: trains, transit, etc. To say it's the same as people jumping in their cars in FL to evacuate is ludicrous. Storms like this are not the same as what has been experienced in your neck of the woods. Have a little bit of compassion, and restraint, please.
    I don't have a problem with Yankees. I've been thru so many hurricanes/power outages since I was a small child, I would never wish that on anyone. It is a nightmare and so awful if you have lost your home as part of a storm. I thought i had seen the ultimate in storms in the south but apparently Sandy triggered the biggest storm power outage in US history and that is unbelievable. It was the people who got t.v. time screaming about no gas that pissed me off; you just can't expect all gas stations to be open 3 days after a hurricane. Two weeks is not unusual for gas stations to be up and running. That was my only point. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    There were two buzzards feasting on the carcass of a dead possum or raccoon in the landscape strip between our front yard and the street this afternoon. Buzzards are big. And they looked happy. I hope they got it all because I don't want to clean the mess tomorrow.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    There were two buzzards feasting on the carcass of a dead possum or raccoon in the landscape strip between our front yard and the street this afternoon. Buzzards are big. And they looked happy. I hope they got it all because I don't want to clean the mess tomorrow.
    Still eating leftovers this morning. But now there are three.

EDIT: They flew away with the remains.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Had some serious dental work done earlier this week. Pain pills, antibiotics, special rinse because of the stitches, and several days off work - all for a procedure that took about an hour. Went in today to get the final fit on the temporary retainer. Since they had to remove a bridge to access the area, the original plan was to reuse the bridge. However, they couldn't get it back on after the surgery. Thus the retainer. So I go back this morning, and it turns out I had popped a stitch, so after restitiching, they made another attempt to reattach the bridge. It worked. But I had to take a pain pill and conk out for the afternoon because it hurt.
    Now my tongue keeps playing with the back of the bridge. It's lower and shifted just enough that I can feel the difference. And it means I might have more swelling again. I'm supposed to go back to work on Monday and I can't miss - we have training.
    I'm hoping this weekend isn't a total bust. I wanted to see Skyfall.
    Only minor swelling the next day. Haven't had another pain pill, and today for lunch I had solid food! For several days everything I've eaten qualifies as soft food: yogurt, cottage cheese, outmeal, pudding, etc. Today for lunch I had enchiladas! Wheee! It was really strange to chew only on one side of my mouth, and I realize now that my teeth don't meet together the same way as before, but I had solid food!! Still no alcohol, though - I have to finish my antibiotics first.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Meanwhile, in South Carolina:

A car dealership in Easley is displaying a sign that has grabbed the attention of several people - "free shotgun or rifle when you buy a car."

Mitsubishi of Easley General Manager Chad Henderson said the sign is turning heads and attracting people to their car lot on Calhoun Highway. Simply buying a car doesn't mean the new owner walks away with a gun, he said.

Henderson said the dealership is partnering with Sharp Shooters Gun Club and Range in Greenville on Rutherford Road. He said that once someone buys a car, they will be given a $250 gift card to the gun shop. He said that ensures that when the customer purchases the gun they are in compliance with all laws.

"We have the same requirements as any gun shop would have," said Sharp Shooters co-owner Ted Landreth. "They just can't come in off the street and say, 'OK. I'm here to get my gun.'"

"We believe we live in the greatest country in the world, and sometimes, when we get a chance, we like to express that," Henderson said. "What better way [than] giving away a shotgun or rifle."
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Only minor swelling the next day. Haven't had another pain pill, and today for lunch I had solid food! For several days everything I've eaten qualifies as soft food: yogurt, cottage cheese, outmeal, pudding, etc. Today for lunch I had enchiladas! Wheee! It was really strange to chew only on one side of my mouth, and I realize now that my teeth don't meet together the same way as before, but I had solid food!! Still no alcohol, though - I have to finish my antibiotics first.
    Yay for solid foods!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Yay for solid foods!
    I consider hard liquor to be a solid food.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Nov 2009

This Just In

My new car, in hot lava
    http://www.scion.com/cars/iQ/
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    My new car, in hot lava
    http://www.scion.com/cars/iQ/
    Wow! That is quite the bright color. No one can miss it.

Congrats on your new ride.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    What is the most overly-beaten dead horse in the world?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    What is the most overly-beaten dead horse in the world?
    What no poll ?
    Oddball

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    Wow! That is quite the bright color. No one can miss it.

Congrats on your new ride.
    That was the idea. I figure since she is so small, we better be sure to be visible.

This bad girl is going to save us about 11 gallons of gas per month just on my work commute.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Closed thread
Page 208 of 374 FirstFirst ... 198 207 208 209 218 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 01 Jan 2014, 12:58 AM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 01 Jan 2012, 12:53 AM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 01 Jan 2009, 12:43 AM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 7:05 AM