Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 209 of 374 FirstFirst ... 199 208 209 210 219 ... LastLast
Results 5,201 to 5,225 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    My new car, in hot lava
    http://www.scion.com/cars/iQ/
    Seriously? Did you look at the Horsepower on that? On second thought that looks small enough so that maybe 96 hp is plenty.
    Why did you rule out the Dart? (I am asking because I am considering one of those for my next vehicle, and its larger, has better gas mileage).
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Breakfast was an utter disaster this morning. The waffle iron broke and the bacon was uneatable. [Charles Barkley voice] Terrible. Just Terrible. [/Charles Barkley voice]

What saved the morning was the Chandon brut sparkling wine and the strawberries.
    I don't do anything right.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Seriously? Did you look at the Horsepower on that? On second thought that looks small enough so that maybe 96 hp is plenty.
    Why did you rule out the Dart? (I am asking because I am considering one of those for my next vehicle, and its larger, has better gas mileage).
    The Dart does get slightly better gas mileage and it is larger, but I liked the way the iQ drove better. Plus we have a xB that we have owned for almost 5 years now and have never had any problems with it, so we trust the brand. Also, Scion gave us a much better deal. We are only leasing, not purchasing. I can drive the iQ for 3 years for just $99 month with $2k down and 12,000 miles/year. Dodge wanted $200/month with another $500 down payment and only 10,000 miles/year.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    The Dart does get slightly better gas mileage and it is larger, but I liked the way the iQ drove better. Plus we have a xB that we have owned for almost 5 years now and have never had any problems with it, so we trust the brand. Also, Scion gave us a much better deal. We are only leasing, not purchasing. I can drive the iQ for 3 years for just $99 month with $2k down and 12,000 miles/year. Dodge wanted $200/month with another $500 down payment and only 10,000 miles/year.
    Makes sense. I am not a lease candidate. Particularly at 10k per year. One of the joys of having a cabin in the North are a lot of highway miles! I was down in your hood over the weekend. Made a trip to the old Lion Store (Dillards) for pants. I am tall and they have a great men's department with plenty of long pants! It beats internet shopping as I usually end up frustrated. Yet another reason why I can't survive with a 10k lease!

BTW you must be a great negotiator to get a 12k lease most companies will only give you 10k unless you want to pay through the nose.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Last night I watched "The Day The Earth Stood Still" (1951) for the first time. It was good. I liked it.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Makes sense. I am not a lease candidate. Particularly at 10k per year. One of the joys of having a cabin in the North are a lot of highway miles! I was down in your hood over the weekend. Made a trip to the old Lion Store (Dillards) for pants. I am tall and they have a great men's department with plenty of long pants! It beats internet shopping as I usually end up frustrated. Yet another reason why I can't survive with a 10k lease!

BTW you must be a great negotiator to get a 12k lease most companies will only give you 10k unless you want to pay through the nose.
    You should have hit us up! Next time you come down this way, let me know.

I actually didn't negotiate at all with Scion. It was a special they were promoting to introduce the iQ and move the rest of their 2012 inventory. We just took advantage of it.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    What is the most overly-beaten dead horse in the world?
    Jeez, now you're trolling for stuff to split!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Is there anything Americans can't do wrong?

I'm seeing posts on other message boards and the like, along the lines of "The rest of the world uses 11/11 as a solemn occasion to honor those who have fallen in battle, while stupid Americans use it as a day to celebrate war."

Uhhhh ... Canadians and Brits. we already have a day to honor fallen soldiers. From the article:

Memorial Day is an American federal holiday observed annually on the last Monday of May. Memorial Day is a day of remembering the men and women who died while serving in the United States Armed Forces. Formerly known as Decoration Day, it originated after the American Civil War to commemorate the Union and Confederate soldiers who died in the Civil War. By the 20th century Memorial Day had been extended to honor all Americans who have died in all wars.

Memorial Day is not to be confused with Veterans Day; Memorial Day is a day of remembering the men and women who died while serving, while Veterans Day celebrates the service of all U.S. military veterans, living or dead.
    Veterans Day does not "celebrate war". It honors those that served. Sorry, but the United States has different holidays than other countries in the Anglosphere. Deal with it, Gordon, Ian, and Bruce.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Back from the ortho's office. I was able to get in with the Nurse Practitioner who was able to get me a few minutes with my ortho. He thinks the knee is still pretty stable and wants me to try PT to rehab in hopes of avoiding surgery. He'll recheck in 8 weeks. I suppose I should be happy that surgery isn't inevitable but I'm not sure where this puts us on the family planning path.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Unisex bathrooms should not be acceptable places to "drop a duece" when a larger multiple stall and gender specific restrooms are also available. The unisex restroom is the closest sink to my office and I use it to empty my coffee mug and it smells like the gorilla cage was left unattended for a week. I feel terrible for any member of the public that might use it accidently.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    Unisex bathrooms should not be acceptable places to "drop a duece" when a larger multiple stall and gender specific restrooms are also available. The unisex restroom is the closest sink to my office and I use it to empty my coffee mug and it smells like the gorilla cage was left unattended for a week. I feel terrible for any member of the public that might use it accidently.
    Ewwwwww. Reminds me of the ape that used to work at the Dragon Lady's office. He used to do that knowing that the admin and I had to use it too. What was especially maddening is that he would leave the tp roll empty and no paper towels in there.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Back from the ortho's office. I was able to get in with the Nurse Practitioner who was able to get me a few minutes with my ortho. He thinks the knee is still pretty stable and wants me to try PT to rehab in hopes of avoiding surgery. He'll recheck in 8 weeks. I suppose I should be happy that surgery isn't inevitable but I'm not sure where this puts us on the family planning path.
    I wonder if "let's do PT and see how it goes" is ortho code for "I don't want to deal with this". I sincerely hope not.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Woke up feeling cold and grumpy and neither feeling has gone away yet... looks like I'm going home over lunch to get my coat because apparently a sweater, jeans, boots, and blanket on my lap aren't enough. Sorry. I will try not to post any more grumpy randomness today.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I started looking at the start of this thread and then skimmed thru pages 1 through 9. Some really interesting and/or funny stuff sometimes gets posted on RTDNTOTO. It can be quite entertaining

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    Unisex bathrooms should not be acceptable places to "drop a duece" when a larger multiple stall and gender specific restrooms are also available.
    At work, the gender signs on the bathrooms are suggestions. Even then, I won't lay cable in the ladies' room. I don't want to step out after a satisfying evacuation of the lower intestine, only to see a female co-worker waiting at the door.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I wonder if "let's do PT and see how it goes" is ortho code for "I don't want to deal with this". I sincerely hope not.
    Geez, I hadn't thought of that. One more thing to worry about.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

PT worked for me...

Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Geez, I hadn't thought of that. One more thing to worry about.
    I had an ACL tear, and PT fixed it. It can help. FWIW, my knee repair had two weeks of no cycling :crying: and a month later it felt better than it has in years and years. From the medication standpoint, I am not taking any knee pain meds (and before I was).

Do some googling, maybe even go get a second opinion. Try a lady doc. My GP recommended that I get everything fixed now because 1) the various issues will only get worse, b) I'll heal and recover faster today than I will in the future, and iii) I'll be able to enjoy many more years of cycling dancing stair climbing tuba dancing.

(wishing I'd known about a few "surprises" from today's little event...but speaking of "family planning," my request was honored, no bullying took place)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Your moment of zen.

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Makes sense. I am not a lease candidate. Particularly at 10k per year.
    Same here. I'm on track to do about 25,000 miles a year. Congrats TS, that's a good looking color too
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by dw914er View post
    Same here. I'm on track to do about 25,000 miles a year. Congrats TS, that's a good looking color too
    That's been more or less my average the past 10 years. I recently moved and now I have a 3 mile commute and most of my driving for work is in a 5 mi. radius. Our extended family lives 4.5 hours away though and we make frequent trips there so a lease is still a no-go.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Nov 2009
    btrage remember when you posted something about not seeing any point in having a dog? Something about they are only good for companionship and your family provides that.

I'm right there with ya buddy.

I seriously love my animals and I wouldn't consider getting rid of them, but they are driving me crazy. I know they aren't getting as much attention as they use to, but the way they are acting just makes me want to give them less.

Dogs: barking at the wind blowing, disobeying every command as soon as they think they can get away with it, eating the garbage, which includes dirty baby wipes, then puking all over my white carpet.
    Cats: scratching all my furniture to ruins and my carpet, knocking everything off the counters.

Oohhhhmmmm..... OOOHHHhhhhmmmmmm
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    May 2005
    btrage remember when you posted something about not seeing any point in having a dog? Something about they are only good for companionship and your family provides that.

I'm right there with ya buddy.

I seriously love my animals and I wouldn't consider getting rid of them, but they are driving me crazy. I know they aren't getting as much attention as they use to, but the way they are acting just makes me want to give them less.

Dogs: barking at the wind blowing, disobeying every command as soon as they think they can get away with it, eating the garbage, which includes dirty baby wipes, then puking all over my white carpet.
    Cats: scratching all my furniture to ruins and my carpet, knocking everything off the counters.

Oohhhhmmmm..... OOOHHHhhhhmmmmmm
    I'm meditating with you. We've been in the new house almost 6 months, and things have become a little better with our dog, but the wife and I pretty much agree that we will not own any animals after our dude passes on. It just doesn't fit in with our lifestyle.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Has your local movie theater announceD that they would be showing college basketball games on one of their big screens ?

theater to show tonight's UK game; other college games

anticipates a heavy dose of IU, Kentucky and Louisville basketball
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Chicago was fun on Friday. Met with some friends, had dinner at Rudy's in the Loop... and after seeing this view at a Stanfest in Chicago several years ago, I HAD to go back and get it once the trump building was finished....

Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Do Not take this rant/post the wrong way. I apprecite the active duty and veterans - several family members have and do serve...BUT

I'm getting really tired of all these college football uniforms trying to one-up each other. Especially this month with "Military Appreciation" combat crap going on. Add camo to the uni in anyway possible, change your helmet logo to flag-based design, change your school colors to red/white/blue. Mike London (Virginia's head coach) wore full Marine cammies, but with sneakers last weekend. Come on guys!

This seems to have been building up over the years, but this year is the worse.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Closed thread
Page 209 of 374 FirstFirst ... 199 208 209 210 219 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 01 Jan 2014, 12:58 AM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 01 Jan 2012, 12:53 AM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 01 Jan 2009, 12:43 AM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 7:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141