Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 210 of 374 FirstFirst ... 200 209 210 211 220 ... LastLast
Results 5,226 to 5,250 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Registered
    Oct 2005
    There is getting to be a very heated and convoluted fight over a potential extension of I-526 south of Charleston, SC. There are grassroots groups like Nix526 who are against it. The reason this is messy is the state does not have 526 on its priority list for at least a decade yet the city of Charleston is pushing for it now. Tonight there is a meeting to discuss the City taking over responsibility from the state to be the applicant for the DOT expansion See Post and Courier Article.

Bottom line, this will not increase access to anything except undeveloped land for developers and a slightly quicker trip to Foley Beach and Kiawah Island while plowing through salt marsh and virgin forests and the only reason this keeps coming up is because the local governments have invested millions on designs that they don't want to lose out on. [op ed]When we talk about government running more like a business, it's this kind of crap we refer too.[/op ed]
    @GigCityPlanner

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    OMG our town office just did a video happy holiday message for local cable and I look really bad today - not kidding or exaggerating or looking for compliments - bad hair, bad outfit, the whole shebang - and I had to stand in front because I am short...

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

more hints from Veloise

Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    ...I seriously love my animals and I wouldn't consider getting rid of them, but they are driving me crazy. I know they aren't getting as much attention as they use to, but the way they are acting just makes me want to give them less.

Dogs: barking at the wind blowing, disobeying every command as soon as they think they can get away with it, eating the garbage, which includes dirty baby wipes, then puking all over my white carpet.
    Cats: scratching all my furniture to ruins and my carpet, knocking everything off the counters. ...
    OMG, white carpet. With pets and a new baby. If it's your own place, get rid of it ASAP.

Scratching posts (with catnip on 'em), a motion-sensitive noisemaker (I used a Halloween doormat on my dining table, and a Tattle Tale in the kitchen). When my mama's newly-reupholstered chair returned, the cats offered to add their own revisions. I got clear plastic at a fabric store and wrapped it around the target areas (footrest).

For the dogs, covered or behind-door trash containers. No accessible garbage bags. Walks. (Maybe find a neighbor kid to walk/play with them, wear them out.)

Your critters recently moved to a new place, and then the sea monkey arrived. Lots of changes and turmoil. They might have been reacting to the SM crying, and y'all's distress over that too.

Easy for me to type from a distance; I would cut everyone some slack while they all adjust. HTH

Registered
    Jan 2005
    It's a Monday/Tuesday. Those are the best. I really need to work at getting a 4 day work week approved....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2005
    check the sticky on Secret Santa boys and girls...

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    I'm getting really tired of all these college football uniforms trying to one-up each other......... [snip]Mike London (Virginia's head coach) wore full Marine cammies, but with sneakers last weekend. Come on guys!
    Fellow jarheads sound off - does it insult/bother you to see a civilian attired in BDU's (especially when worn incorrectly) that didn't earn that privilege? Just curious.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Fellow jarheads sound off - does it insult/bother you to see a civilian attired in BDU's (especially when worn incorrectly) that didn't earn that privilege? Just curious.
    I can't believe it, I just played the 'Captain America' card!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2005

federal highways? who needs 'em, man!

on another note - I just love tea at 3 - I feel so civilized when I type my secede? oh please do post

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    I'm getting really tired of all these college football uniforms trying to one-up each other. Especially this month with "Military Appreciation" combat crap going on. Add camo to the uni in anyway possible, change your helmet logo to flag-based design, change your school colors to red/white/blue. Mike London (Virginia's head coach) wore full Marine cammies, but with sneakers last weekend. Come on guys!
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I'm not one to get easily offended, but that does get on my nerves. But then again, when I was still serving, I was one of those guys who would scold obvious Marines wearing the uniform incorrectly, wearing uniform pieces with civilian clothes that were unauthorized for that type of wear, or wearing civilian clothes not up to standards. Maybe I was just a jerk. I've always felt that wearing Marine Corps cammies, especially the new ones that have EGA printed right into them.

Last night I was walking through the living room and my wife was watching Dancing With the Stars (or some similar show) and a bunch of the costumes seemed to be military inspired in honor of Veterans Day. However, the uniforms were incredibly suggestive and gaudy. I made a comment to my wife about how pleased and honored veterans must be to see those awful costumes...
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Great.... I forgot to toss the chicken into the crockpot before I left this morning.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Great.... I forgot to toss the chicken into the crockpot before I left this morning.
    Honey, you think KFC's still open?
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I wish. There is still time to toss it in the oven with some spices.

We like to toss it in the crockpot in the morning, pull it apart when we get home and add chicken taco seasoning, some lime juice, and some cilantro. Slow cooker chicken tacos.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I wish. There is still time to toss it in the oven with some spices.

We like to toss it in the crockpot in the morning, pull it apart when we get home and add chicken taco seasoning, some lime juice, and some cilantro. Slow cooker chicken tacos.
    That sounds pretty good. Just curious - how much chicken do you put and how much taco seasoning? Like a ratio?

I may have to try this one out this coming weekend. I get up plenty early and could throw it together and have slow cooker chicken tacos for lunch while I watch football...
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    That sounds pretty good. Just curious - how much chicken do you put and how much taco seasoning? Like a ratio?

I may have to try this one out this coming weekend. I get up plenty early and could throw it together and have slow cooker chicken tacos for lunch while I watch football...
    About 2 large boneless/skinless chicken breasts (about 1 lb) to one packet of taco seasoning. We toss them in frozen and turn it to high or toss them in thawed and put it on low.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Got an email back from the NCDOT about an inquiry on their traffic cameras. They informed me that they do not record their traffic cameras and they are just streaming. 1) I have a hard time believing this (if a cop was shot and that camera had an angle you better believe they would have it recorded) and 2) what a waste of taxpayer money for a system that just streams traffic and doesn't actually record it for any statistical purpose.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Must be cold huh Frank?

About 2 large boneless/skinless chicken breasts (about 1 lb) to one packet of taco seasoning. We toss them in frozen and turn it to high or toss them in thawed and put it on low.
    I do the same thing. But instead of taco seasoning I just use some canned chilies, dried paprika, dried garlic powder, and maybe some dried chipotle powder. Then I use them in tacos, burritos, enchiladas, you name it.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    I do the same thing. But instead of taco seasoning I just use some canned chilies, dried paprika, dried garlic powder, and maybe some dried chipotle powder. Then I use them in tacos, burritos, enchiladas, you name it.
    I tried that, but then the wife says I make them too spicy.

Registered
    May 2004
    I tried that, but then the wife says I make them too spicy.
    My wife isn't a big fan of the spice either, so I usually use mild chilies and just a bit of chipotle powder, and then make her tacos with alot of cheese to cut the heat. I've never actually used taco seasoning before but I always suspected its pretty much paprika, garlic and onions.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Just the chicken and seasoning, no liquid? I'll have to try that. Though I would probably be the only one to eat it, everyone in my household is so darn picky.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    OMG, white carpet. With pets and a new baby. If it's your own place, get rid of it ASAP.

Scratching posts (with catnip on 'em), a motion-sensitive noisemaker (I used a Halloween doormat on my dining table, and a Tattle Tale in the kitchen). When my mama's newly-reupholstered chair returned, the cats offered to add their own revisions. I got clear plastic at a fabric store and wrapped it around the target areas (footrest).

For the dogs, covered or behind-door trash containers. No accessible garbage bags. Walks. (Maybe find a neighbor kid to walk/play with them, wear them out.)

Your critters recently moved to a new place, and then the sea monkey arrived. Lots of changes and turmoil. They might have been reacting to the SM crying, and y'all's distress over that too.

Easy for me to type from a distance; I would cut everyone some slack while they all adjust. HTH
    The house came with white carpet and we cannot afford to switch it out yet. Plus it is high quality stuff that feels like you are walking on marshmallows, so we want to keep it until SeaMonkey is walking (if we can). I know what to do about the stupid animals destroying everything and getting on my nerves, I just don't have the time to keep dealing with it. I wish they would just be normal without me having to cater to them. By the time I get home from work, cook diner, eat diner, make sure MW can eat diner, feed the animals, and get on top of whatever household chores cannot possibly be ignored any longer - like washing the cloth diapers and assembling something presentable for work the next day, all I want to do is spend some time with my kid. Walking the dogs and cuddling with the cats feels like another chore; not because I don't love them, but because if I don't do it, they will destroy my house. It is annoying. Unfortunately, they don't speak English, so I cannot just tell them to chill out for a few weeks please.

Like you btrage, no more animals for us after these. We love them, but we have enough to do already and are ready for some animal-free living.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    May 2005
    Can't get motivated to work today.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    The house came with white carpet and we cannot afford to switch it out yet. Plus it is high quality stuff that feels like you are walking on marshmallows, so we want to keep it until SeaMonkey is walking (if we can). I know what to do about the stupid animals destroying everything and getting on my nerves, I just don't have the time to keep dealing with it. I wish they would just be normal without me having to cater to them. By the time I get home from work, cook diner, eat diner, make sure MW can eat diner, feed the animals, and get on top of whatever household chores cannot possibly be ignored any longer - like washing the cloth diapers and assembling something presentable for work the next day, all I want to do is spend some time with my kid. Walking the dogs and cuddling with the cats feels like another chore; not because I don't love them, but because if I don't do it, they will destroy my house. It is annoying. Unfortunately, they don't speak English, so I cannot just tell them to chill out for a few weeks please.

Like you btrage, no more animals for us after these. We love them, but we have enough to do already and are ready for some animal-free living.
    TS hire someone to come walk the dogs and someone to come in once a week to do the heavy household chores. Seriously, it's the best few dollars you can spend.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Had a doctor's appointment this morning to look at an unexplained skin rash on my legs, arms, and chest. They had no idea what it was, but put me on a mix between prescription and over the counter treatments. The lotion they told me to use burns like mad for about 60 seconds, then my skin goes numb. At least it does not itch anymore. I wonder if that is the way it is intended to work?

<snip>

It gets better, trust me. Plus, I can't imagine raising my kids without pets around. In the meantime, kjel's suggestion is very good.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    It gets better, trust me. Plus, I can't imagine raising my kids without pets around. In the meantime, kjel's suggestion is very good.
    The good thing for us is that my daughters and our dog have pretty much grown up together. We got our dog as a puppy when my oldest daughter was 6 weeks old, so they've had that opportunity.

If my dog lives until let's say 13, my daughters will be 13 and 10 when he passes on. I do like the fact that they've grown up with an animal in the house.

Closed thread
Page 210 of 374 FirstFirst ... 200 209 210 211 220 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 31 Dec 2011, 11:53 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141