Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 211 of 374 FirstFirst ... 201 210 211 212 221 ... LastLast
Results 5,251 to 5,275 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I finally had a chance to get my hands on some Rolling Rock last night and give a toast to the Bear. Seemed especially appropriate after a night meeting talking with citizen planners.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I left a banana in my Jeep overnight. My Jeep was parked outside and the temperatures dropped pretty low, consequently the banana froze and was hard like a rock when I brought in to my office this morning. I tried to open it up and eat it just now and it must have slowly thawed during the day and it turned to mush in my hands.

Oh well... I guess I'll have to have Butterfingers and Peppermint Patties as a snack instead.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Oh well... I guess I'll have to have Butterfingers and Peppermint Patties as a snack instead.

Still getting "rid" of Halloween candy myself.

In other news:
    Russia 2
    USA 2
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jun 2004
    I went to my favorite dive in the town next door to quell my craving for a good cheese burger. As I was walking out the door with my greasy brown bag, I was nearly hit by our town's former mayor as he was attempting to parallel park. I guess the sidewalks aren't as safe as I thought they were. That was an very odd occurrence for what has been in general a very odd day.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I love The Oatmeal. Here's another one: My dog, the paradox.

I am too tired to open and read the 40 unread e-mails in my inbox. I should just delete most of them...

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    On another forum board, there is a wonderful discussion about This Old House. Some people think it is wrong that they gut these houses, other people think it is ok.

Makes me wonder how the homeowners feel about it and how Norm Abram feels about it.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    chipmunk
    America
    chisel
    moss
    treasure
    pressing
    cords
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I think I am going to need to take something to help me sleep tonight. I have not had a full night's sleep in weeks.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    I think I am going to need to take something to help me sleep tonight. I have not had a full night's sleep in weeks.
    Check out the Cheap Booze thread. I am sure any one of them could get you there!
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Stronger than ?

Where is the shot glass or 5th emoticons ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2007
    I find it lame when i get chastised for poor customer service and come to find out that the guy who called to the City Manager's office and a council member has come in to see me or talked to me over 4 times, and has morphed his "business idea" and each time it is not an allowed use in the location he wants to be in and now I am in hot water with the CM's office and a Council Member for not being "business friendly".
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    I love The Oatmeal. Here's another one: My dog, the paradox.

That was great! I needed that.

Sorry for venting so much lately.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    It's really annoying to have t.v. commercial for Macy's or Home Goods or whoever when they don't have a store within 2-4 hours from us. Why do they even advertise on our stations?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    It's really annoying to have t.v. commercial for Macy's or Home Goods or whoever when they don't have a store within 2-4 hours from us. Why do they even advertise on our stations?
    For the same reason television viewers in upstate New York see ads for Sonic Drive-In, or those in Buffalo, the only metro area in the US without a Staples store, see commercials for Staples.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Raf View post
    I find it lame when i get chastised for poor customer service and come to find out that the guy who called to the City Manager's office and a council member has come in to see me or talked to me over 4 times, and has morphed his "business idea" and each time it is not an allowed use in the location he wants to be in and now I am in hot water with the CM's office and a Council Member for not being "business friendly".
    That's an ongoing issue for me in one of my historic districts. One contractor complained that I wasn't being helpful. Turns out he was the guy that expected me to 1) find out his customer's correct address 2) fill out the form with a complete list of proposed work and 3) provide documentation. The Horror!! When I pointed this out to my supervisor, she said, and I quote "stop making up excuses". This is despite me having two staff witnesses to my interaction with this guy.

Anyone else wonder why I'm quitting come the end of the year??
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    That's an ongoing issue for me in one of my historic districts. One contractor complained that I wasn't being helpful. Turns out he was the guy that expected me to 1) find out his customer's correct address 2) fill out the form with a complete list of proposed work and 3) provide documentation. The Horror!! When I pointed this out to my supervisor, she said, and I quote "stop making up excuses". This is despite me having two staff witnesses to my interaction with this guy.

Ouch. Come to Ohio. You will do better in Toledo.

Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    Ouch. Come to Ohio. You will do better in Toledo.

Hmmm - job search might turn up some interesting prospects in the Swing State!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    unfortunately "helpful" means "yes you can do that no matter what the ordinance says" - sorry

TS - how's it going?

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post

Well look at it this way. After Texas leaves the Union, maybe you can emigrate to place that would appreciate you.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    May 2005
    Anyone turn a space heater on in their office yet. I have not, but it's getting close.

City Hall is a 52-year old building and one wall of my office is all glass, so it gets pretty chilly.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Anyone turn a space heater on in their office yet. I have not, but it's getting close.

City Hall is a 52-year old building and one wall of my office is all glass, so it gets pretty chilly.
    I am in a 90 year old mini mansion. My office is essentially what probably was the help's sleeping quarters at the top of the house and does not have heat. I have asked for a space heater, I am sure the PO will be approved in March. I am wearing my coat right now.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand

Ribbon tributes gone stupid

A school in Colorado honored a 9 year old boy stricken with cancer by wearing orange socks and his initial on their helmet. Trouble was the boy did not exist - it was a hoax.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/15/us...hoax.html?_r=0

As I mentioned on the football thread, I'm getting tired of the camo/GIJoe tributes and I think the pink ribbon/shoes/unis/gloves/jockstrap has gone way overboard. I really don't know if this will effect the tribute overdose.

Wait - do you think zman had anything to do with this?
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Pondering serving on a City board or commission. I term out for my neighborhood association.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post

Do we have shrinkage yet lmao
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Do we have shrinkage yet lmao
    Or LSD as the Yoopers call it.

(Lake Superior D____)

Closed thread
Page 211 of 374 FirstFirst ... 201 210 211 212 221 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 01 Jan 2014, 12:58 AM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 01 Jan 2012, 12:53 AM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 01 Jan 2009, 12:43 AM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 7:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141