Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 213 of 374 FirstFirst ... 203 212 213 214 223 ... LastLast
Results 5,301 to 5,325 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Hubby and I talked about such things this afternoon. Sadly our town is so small that the only way this would happen would be if we left the area.
    I don't know the backstory, but whatever it is, it doesn't sound good

Things will work out though
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I have a craving for post night meeting BW3.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    I think I am going to need to take something to help me sleep tonight. I have not had a full night's sleep in weeks.
    Melatonin tabs.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    For the same reason television viewers in upstate New York see ads for Sonic Drive-In, or those in Buffalo, the only metro area in the US without a Staples store, see commercials for Staples.
    I was at Sam's Club today and they had a whole end-cap display of gift cards for Steak n Shake and there isn't one within 2 hrs of us and it made me want a double steakburger soooooo bad. There are so many things I miss about my old life.
    Last edited by Gedunker; 16 Nov 2012 at 9:24 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tag

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    I have a craving for post night meeting BW3.
    Ahhhh beer & wings! Cold walk down here from the house though.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Crap. I'm so sorry, dandy. That seems so unfair.

Yesterday while driving around I saw one of those little yard signs that contractors use. It said something like:

Chimney's
    Siding
    Roof Repair
    555-5454

I just wanted to get out of the car with a big magic marker in hand, trespass on a total stranger's lawn, and black out the unnecessary apostrophe.

Has anyone else seen The Oatmeal's wickedly funny instructional comics on grammar and punctuation? I wish I could make copies of them and hand them out. This isn't exactly difficult material, folks... I think I learned a lot of it in elementary school.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Hahahahahaha!

Hahahahahahahaha!

I love you Mud Princess! I am just like that when it comes to poor grammar. Typos are one thing I can excuse. Everyone makes them. Professional signs or anything that should be proofed...

This should do the trick!
    Occupy Your Brain!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

Change is good?

The redesign of "the other website" is not very attractive, IMHO.
    I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    7 hours and 38 minutes until Thanksgiving vacation!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

That's why we're here

Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    That was great! I needed that.

Sorry for venting so much lately.
    Where else can you get free advice and ideas on such a wide range of topics, let alone all this non-judgmental support and encouragement?
    And hilarious web comix too. ("I wore pants on Wednesday.")

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    He ran for a political position., lost, and the Mayor re-hired him.
    It's odd they hired him back. Normally it's understood that when a planner in the public sector runs for a political position, they are burning the bridge to the former job. Personally I would not want to come back, especially since someone else has been running the office. Tough situation for you Dandy and sorry to hear that.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    FYI: The Tampa Bay Times web site allows you to sort the mug shots by gender: male, female, other.
    I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    FYI: The Tampa Bay Times web site allows you to sort the mug shots by gender: male, female, other.
    You mean kinda like what dating websites do?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    The redesign of "the other website" is not very attractive, IMHO.
    Just had a look. It's pretty good IMHO, but it looks ... well, like they lost their identity in the process. Their color scheme, once an integral part of their branding, is downplayed in the newer, "cleaner" design, which makes the site appear less distinctive. Navigation seems easier, but the front page is more cluttered with links to articles and the like. They've got a "slider", which we're probably going to put into place in a few months.

My guess as to what prompted the redesign? Atlantic Cities.

In my experience, a massive redesign can be good and bad. Good because you can use it to promote the site. Bad because you'll alienate some regular users.

Then again, it's not like Cyburbia will win any prizes. vBulletin 4 is far more limiting when it comes to options for site design I hope the move to Invision Power Board will help; the platform is more conducive to contemporary design than vBulletin.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    You mean kinda like what dating websites do?
    Offenders need love too, Maister. I've seen some people in mug shots who look pretty good. My own was not so flattering. Hell, I barely got bailed out by family.

New topic: I got a fairly official piece of mail last night that contained this partial phrase -- "...we will do so at our own disgression." Umh. I'm not "Word Girl" (though I wish I was) but I think the word you're looking for is "discretion". I will no longer be able to take anything that comes from your office seriously. That's unforgivable. Yikes.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    a refrence to "word girl" is another automatic post of the day win...(can you hear the exclamatory WORD GIRL in your head as you read it? extra points...

I created a restricted list for Facebook friends that are residents that I don't know very well or at all - it only shows my status updates and my pandora posts, no photos, what I hit like on and other activity - BUT they do see past and present profile pics and cover photos which I found out stinks as I had to delete a really inappropriate comment and then write an explain why...ugh

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    a refrence to "word girl" is another automaitc post of the day win...(can you hear the exclamatory WORD GIRL in your head as you read it? exztra points...
    I couldn't help it because A) I'm totally in love with her and wish she was my daughter and B) sometimes the voice in my head sounds like Chuck the Evil Sandwich-Making Guy.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Apr 2003
    It is sunny and warmer here. Might take the boys for a walk after lunch.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    I got a fairly official piece of mail last night that contained this partial phrase -- "...we will do so at our own disgression." Umh. I'm not "Word Girl" (though I wish I was) but I think the word you're looking for is "discretion". I will no longer be able to take anything that comes from your office seriously. That's unforgivable. Yikes.
    That reminds me: I came across an article recently in which an author was quoted as saying that a certain city is "the oldest charted city" in the state. Poor guy must have cringed upon reading the article. The word is chartered, and I'm sure that's what this extremely talented writer (and former newspaperman) actually said.

Registered
    May 2005
    I despise the "group story" threads.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I despise the "group story" threads.
    As I do the "political" threads. If there were a thread blocker/hider button, I would use it to keep myself from seeing and reading them.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

As we had a 'Chik-fil-A' appreciation day, so now we have a Papa John Appreciation Day. I hate their pizza but might consider owning their stock for a short period...
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    It's odd they hired him back. Normally it's understood that when a planner in the public sector runs for a political position, they are burning the bridge to the former job. Personally I would not want to come back, especially since someone else has been running the office. Tough situation for you Dandy and sorry to hear that.
    I would think you not only would have burned your brige but become a lightning rod for the public.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    The town where my sister lives has a Half Price Books OUTLET that just opened... I am so jealous.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    For whatever reason Ursus popped into my head while watching the amazing world of gumball that focused on the dad and pranks. Just seemed like something he would do
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Closed thread
Page 213 of 374 FirstFirst ... 203 212 213 214 223 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 01 Jan 2014, 12:58 AM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 01 Jan 2012, 12:53 AM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 01 Jan 2009, 12:43 AM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 7:05 AM