Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 214 of 374 FirstFirst ... 204 213 214 215 224 ... LastLast
Results 5,326 to 5,350 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by terraplnr View post
    The town where my sister lives has a Half Price Books OUTLET that just opened... I am so jealous.
    Our library just had a book sale (discontinued / surplused books) for 25 cents, 50 cents, or $1. I bought 18 books for $10 - and I mean nice books all but 2 were hardbacks.

ts - maybe you need this for your dogs. This Great Dane seems to love it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=a3Or9p8-qTs
    Last edited by Planit; 16 Nov 2012 at 2:50 PM. Reason: avaoiding the dreaded double post
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Why is money magical?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Raf View post
    For whatever reason Ursus popped into my head while watching the amazing world of gumball that focused on the dad and pranks. Just seemed like something he would do
    I will have to watch now...maybe get some gooooooood ideas. I'm feeling a little boring lately....

PS, Maister, money is magical because it fixes everything and everybody wants it. Kind of like if Kate Upton was hosting "This Old House". It's that cool. It's that magic. Let your mind run wild.....
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    The redesign of "the other website" is not very attractive, IMHO.
    It's "responsive"
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I wonder if a "talk show" kinda thread where we pose questions/interview/roast a Cyburbian would be very entertaining?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I wonder if a "talk show" kinda thread where we pose questions/interview/roast a Cyburbian would be very entertaining?
    TS tried that with Astronomy.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Yes, and....

Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    True, and I liked it....
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Oooh, you could do it like a Reddit AMA!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Our library just had a book sale (discontinued / surplused books) for 25 cents, 50 cents, or $1. I bought 18 books for $10 - and I mean nice books all but 2 were hardbacks.

]
    Our library does a sale once a year like that. 1 dollar a book but after 2pm its as many books as you can fit in a brown paper grocery bag for $1 a bag. I got a bunch of poetry and cookbooks for 1 dollar this year, but last year I got a hardcover Blacks legal dictionary, a Sunset western garden book, a hardcover thesaurus, and a bunch of other paperbacks all for 1 single dollar.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Oooh, you could do it like a Reddit AMA!
    An 'Ask Me Anything' theme. That's an excellent idea! Who wants to post one? How about you dandy? Anyone have any interesting hobbies or life circumstances? Usually they have a theme don't they (like ask the paraplegic anything or convict or conspiracy theorist or beer snob or whatever)?

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Why is money magical?
    Because it disappears.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Will check it out after I get home from work!

Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    Yes, and....
    True, and I liked it....
    Sniffles. I miss my Dr. Greene Radio Show thread. I need to get up to speed with some astronews so I can call him again. Glad you liked it Ursus. I think that about 3 other Cyburbians did too
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Why is money magical?
    Because it is worth what the government tells us it is worth?
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Our library does a sale once a year like that. 1 dollar a book but after 2pm its as many books as you can fit in a brown paper grocery bag for $1 a bag. I got a bunch of poetry and cookbooks for 1 dollar this year, but last year I got a hardcover Blacks legal dictionary, a Sunset western garden book, a hardcover thesaurus, and a bunch of other paperbacks all for 1 single dollar.
    Library book sales are fun, I have the "Encyclopedia of Urban Planning" from 1974 that I got for $1 that is fun to flip through occasionally. I also got a medical dictionary from the early 1900's, the "women's ailments" section is particularly amusing.

Registered
    Nov 2009

Yes! I absolutely need that! Will you come over and help me build it please?
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    I always go to these on opening night when it costs money to get in. I buy to resell so want to have early dibs along with lots of other people. Most around here will do $1.00 a book, some cheaper for softcovers. I would of grabbed the Black's right away, certain editions are $50 plus on Ebay.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by terraplnr View post
    Library book sales are fun, I have the "Encyclopedia of Urban Planning" from 1974 that I got for $1 that is fun to flip through occasionally. I also got a medical dictionary from the early 1900's, the "women's ailments" section is particularly amusing.
    Several years ago, I picked up a copy of the 1965 comp. plan for the City of Boston (as in 'Massachusetts') at a book sale at the Appleton, WI(!) Pvblic Library for 25¢. I still have it.

Yes, it is very interesting to see what was going through their minds back then!

Mike

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Can I write this in an employee's evaluation? Or would you?

X continues to be a very valuable asset to the department. She is passionate about her work though recently she has expressed some frustration with the current position and role in the planning department questioning whether or not she would be more effective at a director’s level. While her ambition, drive, and initiative are admirable she is encouraged to remember that she is currently still a member of the planning department and though she has been given loose reins she needs to ensure that her supervisor’s requests (e.g. to review a grant application before submittal) and proper procedures are followed as ultimately her supervisors are responsible for her work.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

X continues to be a very valuable asset to the department. She is passionate about her work, though recently she has expressed some frustration with the current position and role in the planning department, questioning whether or not she would be more effective at a director’s level. While her ambition, drive, and initiative are admirable, she is encouraged to remember that she is currently still a member of the planning department and though she has been given loose reins, she needs to ensure that her supervisor’s requests (e.g. to review a grant application before submittal) and proper procedures are followed, as ultimately her supervisors are responsible for her work.
    Added some commas for ya (it could also use some sentce breaks). I don't see a problem with it. It's direct but doesn't slap her around, gives the reasons behind supervisor review.

(my pointy-haired boss, at the longest wireless gig, once put comments in my review about "taking classes during business hours." When we met, I asked about that. Told him I am not taking any classes, let alone during the day. His response: "well, some people do." )

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Not feeling too good tonight. I think it's all stress related. I'll be glad when Monday night's CC meeting is over.

Registered
    Sep 1999

X continues to be a very valuable asset to the department. She is passionate about her work though recently she has expressed some frustration with the current position and role in the planning department questioning whether or not she would be more effective at a director’s level. While her ambition, drive, and initiative are admirable she is encouraged to remember that she is currently still a member of the planning department and though she has been given loose reins she needs to ensure that her supervisor’s requests (e.g. to review a grant application before submittal) and proper procedures are followed as ultimately her supervisors are responsible for her work.
    hahahha. Boy, I'd tamp her down in a heartbeat. How much experience does she have? Enough to be a director? Then you need to very precisely point out what needs to be accomplished to get there. Master's? Supervisory experience? XXX years of actual experience in any capacity? Frustration is common, esp with the current economy, but you need to lay out particulars for this one!

You are probably being too nice. Um, and it sounds like she is ignoring supe's directions which should not be glossed over. Call her on it. Supervisors don't "request"; they tell you what to do. Yeah, I've edited this three times, but every time I re-read it, it sounds like a co-worker from hell who feels entitled. Look out and don't trust. She's trying to run you over.

Run another version here. You really need to. Ask HR about it but it sounds like you need a lot of tweeking.
    Last edited by Zoning Goddess; 17 Nov 2012 at 10:52 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Earlier today I saw Sarah Jessica Parker on the cover of some magazine. How could anyone think she is good looking?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    Earlier today I saw Sarah Jessica Parker on the cover of some magazine. How could anyone think she is good looking?
    Now I'm not feeling so stupid for asking RJ if she looks anorexic and horsey.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Now I'm not feeling so stupid for asking RJ if she looks anorexic and horsey.
    Oh, Google ...

Personally, I thought Kristin Davis (Charlotte) was the cutest one.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2002
    ^^ Thanks, Dan. My point exactly.

Closed thread
Page 214 of 374 FirstFirst ... 204 213 214 215 224 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 31 Dec 2011, 11:53 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM