Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 218 of 374 FirstFirst ... 208 217 218 219 228 ... LastLast
Results 5,426 to 5,450 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    One of our county commissioner has resigned four years into his six-year term. In a news story he said one of the principal reasons he was quiting was staff. And guess which staff member was shown in the stock footage accompanying the story?
    You should hold a seminar on how to do that. I'm sure it could count toward CM credit...

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Tonight is night 2 of the public hearing from hell. I think the weather kept a lot of people away last night and there only were two references to the city's approach to annexation being like the Holocaust.

Registered
    May 2002
    The last half hour of the last working day before a long weekend away is the longest half hour of all.
    The cookies are worth the drive

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Coragus View post
    The last half hour of the last working day before a long weekend away is the longest half hour of all.
    These are the times that try men's souls.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    Otis - really? if it were me protesting I would comei n dressed as a pirate and yell out "avast ye mates!"
    And ye'd carry the day, ye scurvy wench.

BTW, on that hot tub thing I forgot to mention that I had to fight off a mountain lion that was trying to kill me while I cleaned it out. And there were paranhas in the water. And a cloud of enraged wasps was stinging me. All this without having eaten since October. I was a little weakened so it was a good thing the forest fire helped me fend them all off. Then the tsunami put the fire out, thank God.

But you don't care. I'm going to go talk Scottish to dandy.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    And ye'd carry the day, ye scurvy wench.

BTW, on that hot tub thing I forgot to mention that I had to fight off a mountain lion that was trying to kill me while I cleaned it out. And there were paranhas in the water. And a cloud of enraged wasps was stinging me. All this without having eaten since October. I was a little weakened so it was a good thing the forest fire helped me fend them all off. Then the tsunami put the fire out, thank God.

But you don't care. I'm going to go talk Scottish to dandy.

I need a stiff drink. I'm at my in-laws. They are nice people but ay yi yi talking over each other, misunderstandings, bickering over non-issues, bickering over what street to take to get to so-and-so's the fastest. Also, it is deer hunting season too and apparently some of Hubby's relatives are prolific hunters. I had the pleasure of watching Hubby's uncle hack up a piece of venison. Vegetarianism is looking more and more appealing.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post

I need a stiff drink. I'm at my in-laws. They are nice people but ay yi yi talking over each other, misunderstandings, bickering over non-issues, bickering over what street to take to get to so-and-so's the fastest. Also, it is deer hunting season too and apparently some of Hubby's relatives are prolific hunters. I had the pleasure of watching Hubby's uncle hack up a piece of venison. Vegetarianism is looking more and more appealing.
    OK, I'm going to take scotch to dandy.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    OK, I'm going to take scotch to dandy.
    That's a .
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    These are the times that try men's souls.
    Opening monologue before the great Kingston Trio live version of the M.T.A.? Or other....

PS, dandy, keep posting! This stuff should be good and I have to work all day tomorrow like a slob so I'll be bored out of my everloving mind. Have a heart, post about the in-laws....
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    Opening monologue before the great Kingston Trio live version of the M.T.A.? Or other....
    Citizens of Boston, hear me out! This could happen to you!

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Now it took me all the way into my inner folk needs and I'm listening to my "hungry i" recording. You're never alone if you appreciate the Kingston Trio.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Now it took me all the way into my inner folk needs and I'm listening to my "hungry i" recording. You're never alone if you appreciate the Kingston Trio.
    Kingston Trio references also win Post of the Day

Registered
    Jan 2005
    My take on why Great Wolf Lodge is awful. Crazy overpriced. There is really nothing to do beyond the waterpark. The waterpark is pretty cool, but at the same time it isn't. The place isn't made for little kids really, I think it is made for 10 year olds...

Add that to the fact that my kids wore themselves out so much they screamed for the entire night.... and I wouldn't go back. Ahh well, you live and learn.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I am working the day before Thanksgiving. I would work the day after Thanksgiving if my babysitter could watch the kids...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    I am working the day before Thanksgiving. I would work the day after Thanksgiving if my babysitter could watch the kids...
    I will watch them Hink. They can play with my dogs for me. Drop them off over here.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    May 2005
    Sometimes I want to go back to work to get away from my loud, noisy daughters.

But I couldn't do that to my wife.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    My take on why Great Wolf Lodge is awful. Crazy overpriced. There is really nothing to do beyond the waterpark. The waterpark is pretty cool, but at the same time it isn't. The place isn't made for little kids really, I think it is made for 10 year olds...

Add that to the fact that my kids wore themselves out so much they screamed for the entire night.... and I wouldn't go back. Ahh well, you live and learn.

In ten years you'll be sitting around talking about a trip and this will come back up. Everyone will laugh about how awful it was and that the waterpark pools were not quite clorinated enough, but you survived anyway. Family memories.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I wonder how long we could keep a "discussion" thread going where all the posts were limited to either song titles or memorable lyrics?

Guess there's only one way to find out.
    http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=47866
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Nov 2009
    I wonder how long we could keep a "discussion" thread going where all the posts were limited to either song titles or memorable lyrics?

I have tried twice now to start that conversation with you but I just can't think of anything that follows your opener. Maybe I need more coffee.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    I have tried twice now to start that conversation with you but I just can't think of anything that follows your opener. Maybe I need more coffee.
    It may be too difficult to plausibly pull off, we'd pretty much need a lyrics guru like otis or Gedunker to be involved to make it work.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow
    My mind is fried and it is only 9am... WONDERFUL!
    Trusting a DC politician with your money is like trusting a hungry dog with a raw steak.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Ultimately, your subject matter will be limited.
    http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39996
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Ultimately, your subject matter will be limited.
    http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39996
    As you aptly demonstrated, though, that covers a lot of ground.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    I feel your pain... or maybe it's the deer's pain I'm feeling...

Burning question:
    Have you ever bought a new car for someone as a Christmas (or Hanukkah) present? Or do you know anyone who has done such a thing? The commercials on TV for year-end car sales make it sound like everybody gives their spouse a brand-new Lexus as a holiday gift. Obviously, I'm not following the latest gift-giving trends.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    I feel your pain... or maybe it's the deer's pain I'm feeling...

Burning question:
    Have you ever bought a new car for someone as a Christmas (or Hanukkah) present? Or do you know anyone who has done such a thing? The commercials on TV for year-end car sales make it sound like everybody gives their spouse a brand-new Lexus as a holiday gift. Obviously, I'm not following the latest gift-giving trends.
    I don't think they actually intend for people to go out and buy cars for Xmas. It's just a brilliant advertising ploy because you begin to correlate a new car with the good feelings of the holidays. Advertising is so much more subtle than we realize.

Man I really want a new car now.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Closed thread
Page 218 of 374 FirstFirst ... 208 217 218 219 228 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 31 Dec 2011, 11:53 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141