Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 219 of 374 FirstFirst ... 209 218 219 220 229 ... LastLast
Results 5,451 to 5,475 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    So Dan, how are things going? Let's see, you live in The Empire State don't you? I guess that means you watch a lot of Broadway shows, huh?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Speaking of new cars, have I mentioned how much I love my new car?

Sure I get weird looks and manly-men make cracks about parking it in the bed of their pickups because it looks lonely, but hey, I'm spending 1/3 of what they are on gas. Also, it is so fun to drive. I need to name her though. Any ideas on what to name a tiny, bright, burnt orange car?
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Speaking of aquifers, I wonder how much longer it will be before rampant, uncontrolled agricultural irrigation depletes the Ogallala aquifer?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    ...Burning question:
    Have you ever bought a new car for someone as a Christmas (or Hanukkah) present? Or do you know anyone who has done such a thing? The commercials on TV for year-end car sales make it sound like everybody gives their spouse a brand-new Lexus as a holiday gift. Obviously, I'm not following the latest gift-giving trends.
    "Jack" (a relative) bought "Jill" a new car. I think it was their first off-the-showroom-floor vehicle; they had always gone with pre-owned. Largesse, paternalism, "you can't make decisions." I think he wrapped the keys up in a little box and it was parked on the helpful neighbor's driveway.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    sucks not having dandy around today to help entertain the troops during the pre-Turkey Day doldrums.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Speaking of aquifers, I wonder how much longer it will be before rampant, uncontrolled agricultural irrigation depletes the Ogallala aquifer?
    A bit less than 20 years. Now fracking is coming to our area, each well using millions of gallons. Meanwhile, the eco-devos are heavily recruiting a cheese processing plant. Back to agriculture, the state policy is to revoke your water irrigation rights if you do not use them. Pump, baby, pump.

The "Buffalo Commons" is not a bad idea.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    sucks not having dandy around today to help entertain the troops during the pre-Turkey Day doldrums.
    I'd be happy to oblige, please send my in-laws a note that I am needed here. PLEASE. PLEASE. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    I'd be happy to oblige, please send my in-laws a note that I am needed here. PLEASE. PLEASE. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Dear dandy's in-laws:
    It has come to the attention of the management of Cyburbia that you have been making undue demands on your daughter-in-laws time and attention. Please be advised that we will no longer tolerate this state of affairs. Her wit and humor are sorely needed at this present time to help entertain planners from around the world. In the interests of humanity, you owe it to the planet to immediately release from further social obligations forthwith so that she may attend to her more important duties. Thank you in advance for your cooperation in this matter.

Sincerely,

Maister

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I can relate to this poor dude.

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post

Who says anonymous posters are useless.... that is classic!
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Dear dandy's in-laws:
    It has come to the attention of the management of Cyburbia that you have been making undue demands on your daughter-in-laws time and attention. Please be advised that we will no longer tolerate this state of affairs. Her wit and humor are sorely needed at this present time to help entertain planners from around the world. In the interests of humanity, you owe it to the planet to immediately release from further social obligations forthwith so that she may attend to her more important duties. Thank you in advance for your cooperation in this matter.

Sincerely,

Maister
    I will sign this letter!

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Hot and spicy chicken chunks for lunch with a friend! woohooo!

5 more hours until the Thanksgiving cookathon begins! woohooo!

Charlie Brown christmas music playing! woohooo!

Also.... my new winter boots are delivered today! woohooo!
    Occupy Your Brain!

Contractors for the local electric utility are out hacking trees again. We usually end up with some odd-looking tree forms after they finish. How the trees don't just collapse in embarrassment is a wonder to me.

My daughter's braces ended up staying on, major MrsG meltdown moot.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post

This guy's friends need to tell him to lose the vest and the rainbow haired chick and introduce him to the Wonderful World of Sluts.

5,001 offensive posts and counting
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Contractors for the local electric utility are out hacking trees again. We usually end up with some odd-looking tree forms after they finish. How the trees don't just collapse in embarrassment is a wonder to me.
    Same here.

Which is worse utility or billboard cuttings ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I absolutely hate the new Yahoo! page. I will not be using it for news anymore.... ugly and not user friendly at all.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2005
    The letter worked its magic, for the moment at least. Hubby, FIL and the dogs are outside playing, MIL has disappeared to change shirts, and I have a few moments of solitude, so of course I came here to see everyone.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    May 2005
    The letter worked its magic, for the moment at least. Hubby, FIL and the dogs are outside playing, MIL has disappeared to change shirts, and I have a few moments of solitude, so of course I came here to see everyone.
    I feel like we're your mistress and you're sneaking around with us.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Same here.

Which is worse utility or billboard cuttings ?
    We don't have too many billboards around here so it's definitely the electric utility...
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I feel like we're your mistress and you're sneaking around with us.
    Oooh, how naughty! I like it! Cyburbia is my dirty little secret among my real world planning colleagues.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Oooh, how naughty! I like it! Cyburbia is my dirty little secret among my real world planning colleagues.
    Who else is keeping this little secret ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Who else is keeping this little secret ?
    I was… then I told Maister about Cyburbia.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Just so no one finds out about us. It will our little secret. Btw, we live for these stolen moments.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Why am I expecting an appearance from dobopoq because of this kinky shit?
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Nov 2009
    I think I have posted more today than I have all year combined.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Closed thread
Page 219 of 374 FirstFirst ... 209 218 219 220 229 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 31 Dec 2011, 11:53 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM