Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 22 of 374 FirstFirst ... 12 21 22 23 32 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by giff57 View post
    Have you explored grants from the Petco Foundation?
    I just looked at their website earlier today. We might be a good candidate for their funding considering all the bad press the got related to the animals that perished in their store in our recent floods. Maybe they would be willing to give us some cash to get back in the good graces of the people.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    I'm having difficulty thinking of creative ways to fund the dog park I'm working on. So far the best I've come up with is, "Please, won't someone think of the puppies?"
    Create a memorial wall for deceased pets. People pay $xx to have their pet's name on there along with a message. You could do different sizes for different prices, etc.

I would also suggest getting in touch with local Boy Scout troops. Fundraising and construction for a dog park would make for a good Eagle Scout service project.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Have you considered a fighting pit?
    Have you been talking to some of our City Council members? A few are convinced that the 5' high chain link fence won't be enough to keep the vicious dogs from tearing the limbs from the sweet innocent children playing at the nearby playground.

Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    Create a memorial wall for deceased pets. People pay $xx to have their pet's name on there along with a message. You could do different sizes for different prices, etc.

I would also suggest getting in touch with local Boy Scout troops. Fundraising and construction for a dog park would make for a good Eagle Scout service project.
    Thanks for the suggestion. We have the location and the fencing installed but the site looks rough or ruff. ha ha. The entrance needs a lot of work. Asphalt removal, clean fill, landscaping.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Took a bus to Rochester yesterday, and picked up the new used car: a 2005 Subaru Legacy sedan, in Atlantic Blue.

Three Subies in a row.
    Another Subaru! Excellent choice.

I like that idea. I bet a lot of the contributors would also be current dog owners, folks who would benefit from the park anyway.

Did you see this book?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    It's been so warm lately that the bees are already back, and we don't normally see them until April!

Every spring afternoon, I encounter "Driveway Sentinel Bee" when I head to the mailbox. He either hovers over the exact same spot in the middle of the driveway, or zips from the adjacent conservation area when he senses someone coming. Then he dive bombs me. When I remember, I detour across the grass to the sidewalk. He was out there today for the first time this year.

Registered
    May 2005
    Unseasonably warm here, too. They say we are a full 20 degrees above average. Yesterday, I saw the tops of daffodil leaves poking up in my yard. I plan to bury them with a little mulch in the hopes they don't get decimated by the cold snap that is sure to hit SOMETIME this winter. Surely...

I've been getting out biking a lot in this weather, but its just a little too freaky for me to be comfortable with it. It ain't sposed to be like this.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Are we talking about a Pet Sematary?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Happy Australia Day to everyone

I celebrated by working this morning- well doing a photoshoot- so not really like work.

Its so rainy here, which has ruined any other plans. Its also cold. Its the middle of summer and i am wearing long sleeves and tights. Something is not right with this picture!
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    It's been so warm lately that the bees are already back, and we don't normally see them until April!

Every spring afternoon, I encounter "Driveway Sentinel Bee" when I head to the mailbox. He either hovers over the exact same spot in the middle of the driveway, or zips from the adjacent conservation area when he senses someone coming. Then he dive bombs me. When I remember, I detour across the grass to the sidewalk. He was out there today for the first time this year.
    His actions sound pretty cute!

I wish we had a bee smilie....

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Took a bus to Rochester yesterday, and picked up the new used car: a 2005 Subaru Legacy sedan, in Atlantic Blue.

Three Subies in a row.
    Ever think the ladies might react better to something, say, a little more rugged, like a Dodge or Ford pick-up? Maybe the granola women are different. Down here, a guy in a subaru? Hell, anyone in a subaru is suspect. I know, maybe it's a regional thing.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by natski View post
    Happy Australia Day to everyone

I celebrated by working this morning- well doing a photoshoot- so not really like work.

Its so rainy here, which has ruined any other plans. Its also cold. Its the middle of summer and i am wearing long sleeves and tights. Something is not right with this picture!
    Happy Australia Day! I am sure that the weather is nicer there than here....

---------------------

Also, this is cool...

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/gsf...57627439487497
    Last edited by Hink; 26 Jan 2012 at 8:14 AM.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2004

I understand bumble bees usually post 'sentinels' near their hive. I noticed several times a bee hanging out in the same part of my back yard last year. The next time I mowed the lawn I got stung when I got near that area.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Happy 175th birthday to Michigan!
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Ever think the ladies might react better to something, say, a little more rugged, like a Dodge or Ford pick-up? Maybe the granola women are different. Down here, a guy in a subaru? Hell, anyone in a subaru is suspect. I know, maybe it's a regional thing.
    In Ithaca a Dodge or Ford pick-up would be a turn off. Unless you've somehow converted it to bio-fuel and use it to haul compost and manure to your organic micro-green and hydroponic lettuce farm.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Birthday cake, really?

Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Happy 175th birthday to Michigan!
    I just set this to public. A vast collection of misguided mittens-only images, and some that do include the Upper Peninsula.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I'm not permitted to talk about personnel matters, but I can assure you we will take all appropriate actions.

You lying a$$hole.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Mmm... hot cocoa.

I use a 1/2 package of hot cocoa mix, plus a couple spoonfuls of unsweetened cocoa - much better, not too sweet.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I've been drinking a lot of tea lately. Trying to counter the damage the other vices I have may wrath upon me.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator View post
    I've been drinking a lot of tea lately. Trying to counter the damage the other vices I have may wrath upon me.
    You do know that Long Island Iced Tea is not really tea, right?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I just ate my last Reese's Peanut Butter Tree from Christmas. Just in time, They now have the Reese's Peanut Butter Hearts on the selves for Valentine's.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    I'm not permitted to talk about personnel matters, but I can assure you we will take all appropriate actions.

You lying a$$hole.
    Wow, sounds serious. Good luck with that!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

From Time Magazine's Lightbox shows that The Great Leader's nation likes to alter photos. BE SURE to especially look at the photo on page 5. did you see it? Be HONEST.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    I just ate my last Reese's Peanut Butter Tree from Christmas. Just in time, They now have the Reese's Peanut Butter Hearts on the selves for Valentine's.
    I had a Reese's Peanut Butter Egg the first week of January. I was surprised to see them out so early.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    My Explorer is trying to kill me. First it was nearly losing a wheel bearing on the highway, now it's the tie rods that are shot. I think it's time to get rid of the damn thing

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    I had a Reese's Peanut Butter Egg the first week of January. I was surprised to see them out so early.
    Are you sure that wasn't a leftover from last year?
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Closed thread
Page 22 of 374 FirstFirst ... 12 21 22 23 32 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 31 Dec 2011, 11:53 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM