Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 221 of 374 FirstFirst ... 211 220 221 222 231 ... LastLast
Results 5,501 to 5,525 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Registered
    Mar 2002
    dandy, I'm pretty sure I'm your husband. Your MIL sounds just like my mother.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    dandy, I'm pretty sure I'm your husband. Your MIL sounds just like my mother.
    lol. That made me smile. Thanks!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Good night, dandy. Good night everyone. I'm headed out. Have a great Thanksgiving!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Hard to believe this scene is in NYC

http://goo.gl/maps/1FvNm

Wonder what the heck Governor's Island is?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Play around with Google Streetview on Staten Island, and you'll be shocked by how suburban much of it is. Also, by what is perhaps the ugliest residential architecture in the United States. The Neo-Mediterranean look seen throughout suburban Buffalo and Montreal is the modal style, and on Staten Island gaudiness is taken to extremes.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

This ain't right

- Executive director of the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity, received more than $25,000 of unemployment benefits for 91 weeks between 2009 and 2011
    - owns two homes in Florida worth more than $1.1 million
    - traveled to Europe often while he was receiving benefits
    - said he “didn’t need to work.”
    - hired to head DEO, a state agency with more than 2,000 employees, in April 2012 at an annual salary of $140,000
    - Only 16 percent of unemployed workers in Florida actually receive assistance, the lowest rate in the nation
    - received a severance from Bank United, the South Florida bank where he worked as a wealth management executive, but he won't divulge details of the severance

Should change his name to "Douche."

http://www.thefloridacurrent.com/art...fm?id=30366837

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post

http://goo.gl/maps/1FvNm
    If you do a 180, you'll see a person on a bicycle in that scene. I feel like I've invaded someone's privacy.

I think dandy is going to need a vacation from her Thanksgiving vacation.

Hey, Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

reindeercam.com

This is a good time-waster.

http://reindeercam.com/

Backstory

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    If you do a 180, you'll see a person on a bicycle in that scene. I feel like I've invaded someone's privacy.

I think dandy is going to need a vacation from her Thanksgiving vacation.

Hey, Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
    I almost posted something about that. You can see that person either leading or following around the entire island. Something tells me she has something to do with Google's authorized 'tour'

I looked around Staten Island too. I guess I alrady knew it was pretty suburban (they actually had farms there as recently as 40 years ago I understand). I have to agree they should get a blue ribbon in the worst res. architecture contest
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2004
    If you do a 180, you'll see a person on a bicycle in that scene. ...!
    Made me look!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    My MIL just yelled at my FIL because she can't figure out how to turn the oven to bake and he made the mistake of trying to help her. Earlier with us in the room and MIL on the phone she talked about how Hubby said that he needed a lid for the sweet potatoes and everyone knows that you never put a lid on a starch. And she just said she's never cooking another Thanksgiving meal.

Now she's cooking the sweet potatoes that Hubby and I made in the microwave. They are going to be hard as a rock when we finally eat in an hour.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Now she's cooking the sweet potatoes that Hubby and I made in the microwave. They are going to be hard as a rock when we finally eat in an hour.
    I'm not seeing a Thanksgiving weight gain here.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Hopefully no broken teeth.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Happy Thanksgiving fellow Cyburbians.
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Apparently reading a book is not seen as a deterrent for conversation. Oh, and the lady next door lost. her first child and then got pregnant right away and she was 45 so I still have plenty of time.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Apparently reading a book is not seen as a deterrent for conversation. Oh, and the lady next door lost. her first child and then got pregnant right away and she was 45 so I still have plenty of time.
    Yes, but other than being surrounded by dull and/or boorish people you're having a great time, right?

Registered
    May 2004

In-laws from Hell

LOL Dandy, this reminds me of a FB friend in his late 50s whose mother comes up with the most bizarre off-the-wall stuff. I hope your DH fell off the tree and rolled very far away from it.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Just skyped with my niece in who lives in Chihuahua. She is a little sad because it's not Thanksgiving there. She's serving burritos smothered in green sauce tonight.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    dunkel..................................................................................................................................................................

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Not much traffic in town on Black Friday. Along the suburban strippy part of town, parking lots didn't seem any more crowded than on a normal Saturday. I went to Walmart to get something that's unavailable elsewhere in town, and it was just the normal freak show; the customer base that belies the area's demographics.

I want to go to the antique mall tomorrow. I'd like to get an old-school cast iron frying pan; not a Lodge, but an old Griswold or Wagner.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Yesterday was fun. The in-laws came over with both Grandmas who seemed to ridicule every move I made in my own kitchen. Oh and my wife was called into work and got home right as we were about to sit and eat. Next year we are going out for thanksgiving.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Yesterday was fun. The in-laws came over with both Grandmas who seemed to ridicule every move I made in my own kitchen. Oh and my wife was called into work and got home right as we were about to sit and eat. Next year we are going out for thanksgiving.
    No, next year we will all visit with dandy_warhol. I'm sure the family will appreciate us.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    No, next year we will all visit with dandy_warhol. I'm sure the family will appreciate us.
    Ooh, we can have a Cyburbia Thanksgiving / Laefest!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    ....a Cyburbia Thanksgiving / Laefest!
    That's a cool idea!!! Maybe meet in SLO and go to macy*s and Forever 21 on Black Friday!!

I'm not much into gadgets, but I bought a Samsung Google Chromebook. It's scheduled for delivery this Tuesday. It gets mixed reviews. For $249, could I go wrong? I'll let you know...

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Another Saturday night. Another hug goodnight.

Undateable, and getting too old for this.

Closed thread
Page 221 of 374 FirstFirst ... 211 220 221 222 231 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 31 Dec 2011, 11:53 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141