Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 223 of 374 FirstFirst ... 213 222 223 224 233 ... LastLast
Results 5,551 to 5,575 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    He just needs to lower his standards. Am I perfect? No. Is my wife perfect? No. But we both chose to work with what we had knowing our imperfections.
    I dunno.. doesn't sound like he has a lot to work with there, but than again, I am 80% A$$hole so i guess there is someone out there for everybody right? Maybe it is time for mail order bride, no?
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Closing on our refinance is scheduled for 3:30pm today. At 11:00am I got a call from the mortgage processor saying that they need a copy of a bank statement showing X amount of $. Statement has been sent and now is under review from the underwriter. Really? We were supposed to close on the 16th. Perhaps I would've needed the information for then??
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Raf View post
    I dunno.. doesn't sound like he has a lot to work with there, but than again, I am 80% A$$hole so i guess there is someone out there for everybody right? Maybe it is time for mail order bride, no?
    Speaking from a completely practical perspective, you don't generally identify "the one" (as opposed to The One ) on the first date. If someone had told me years ago, when my DH and I first started seeing each other, that we'd eventually get married, I would not have believed it.

People want to believe in love at first sight. But I don't know many people whose relationships actually began that way.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    People want to believe in love at first sight. But I don't know many people whose relationships actually began that way.
    Lust at first sight is pretty nice.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Friendships first

Speaking from a completely practical perspective, you don't generally identify "the one" (as opposed to The One ) on the first date. If someone had told me years ago, when my DH and I first started seeing each other, that we'd eventually get married, I would not have believed it.

Agreed. The days of walking up to your psychiatric colleague at the Eloise staff picnic and, by way of introduction, asking, "what's your blood type?" went out in 1950. (Actual true fact family history)

A line from the Dear Veloise letter sent by the former fiance: "maybe someday we can be friends." When I bumped into him recently, my reaction was, "nah. We had a few minor interests in common that got escalated into something that didn't exist. Thanks for showing up at my own contra dance temple and re-confirming what a bad idea that whole thing was."

Dan, I once sent you some comments about your Match profile (you were loonnnggg gone from Texas, it needed proofreading). Want to set something up via PM for those of us concerned with your happiness?

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    Except for my Mom out in California who I talked to this afternoon, I don't think anybody likes me anymore.
    So I read this and made a big sign out of butcher paper for our car that read "HONK IF YOU LIKE RJ" and a lot of people honked. People were going crazy, hanging out of their windows and making lewd gestures, too. You're VERY popular around our town.

Of course, my daughter pointed out the "RJ" I painted looked kinda like "BJ", but I wouldn't read too much into it. I think you're just popular.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    May 2005

I agree completely. When I first met my wife (she was a neighbor in college) I wasn't instantly drawn to her. Yes, I thought she was attractive (and had a nice behind ), but I didn't really think we had a lot in common. Plus she was dating some guy, and would eventually date my roommate for a bit, before we ended up together.

We were definitely not love at first sight. Our love grew out of just spending platonic time together. We started to realize how much we had in common and after awhile couldn't resist the temptation to give it a shot. Almost 13 years later, we're still together.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Lust at first sight is pretty nice.
    All my lust at first sights lasted only one or two dates.

Relationship with Hubby started as a friendship.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    All my lust at first sights lasted only one or two dates.

Relationship with Hubby started as a friendship.
    Same here.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

have you submitted your Secret Santa to me yet????

Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    So I read this and made a big sign out of butcher paper for our car that read "HONK IF YOU LIKE RJ" and a lot of people honked. People were going crazy, hanging out of their windows and making lewd gestures, too. You're VERY popular around our town.

Of course, my daughter pointed out the "RJ" I painted looked kinda like "BJ", but I wouldn't read too much into it. I think you're just popular.
    another win for post of the day for you! omg

I liked my now husband when I met him but i was seeing someone else but as soon (like the next day) as that relationship ended, I wrote to him and he took me on our first date the next weekend - I found out later he bet a bottle of gin (to be delivered to our engagement party) with his housemates that he would marry me on the day we first met - not sure if that's cool or not but the I was wondering at the time what all the bottle s of gin were doing at our engagement party...

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Can I write this in an employee's evaluation? Or would you?

X continues to be a very valuable asset to the department. She is passionate about her work though recently she has expressed some frustration with the current position and role in the planning department questioning whether or not she would be more effective at a director’s level. While her ambition, drive, and initiative are admirable she is encouraged to remember that she is currently still a member of the planning department and though she has been given loose reins she needs to ensure that her supervisor’s requests (e.g. to review a grant application before submittal) and proper procedures are followed as ultimately her supervisors are responsible for her work.
    Well she just informed me that she will be resigning in February to take a job with a local non-profit.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Daylight come and me wan' go home
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2005
    Resident complains ---> elected official ---> City Manager's office ---> me ---> Code Enforcement Officer.

How about resident just call the COE. Residents creating more gov't red tape themselves.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Resident complains ---> elected official ---> City Manager's office ---> me ---> Code Enforcement Officer.

How about resident just call the COE. Residents creating more gov't red tape themselves.
    It's like the water cycle. People live within it, but they don't understand it.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    I liked my now husband when I met him but i was seeing someone else but as soon (like the next day) as that relationship ended, I wrote to him and he took me on our first date the next weekend - I found out later he bet a bottle of gin (to be delivered to our engagement party) with his housemates that he would marry me on the day we first met - not sure if that's cool or not but the I was wondering at the time what all the bottle s of gin were doing at our engagement party...
    Great story

I was interested in someone else when I met my now-husband. We laugh now about that someone... it definitely would not have been a good match.

I think we're finally going to see Skyfall tonight.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Internet has been up and down all day. I guess IT thought since it was Cyber-Monday they wouldn't let us shop.

Hell I didn't want to Cyber-Shop, I wanted to Cybur-Bia.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Got my stitches out this morning. Considering half of them came out in the middle of the movie I was watching yesterday, I was thinking this morning's visit would be a short one.

Timing-wise, it was short. But the tech taking out the stitches needs to get more training. She tugged a bit, so I left with tender/sore gums and the vague thought of taking a pain pill. Good thing I took the whole day off - I would not have liked being at work this afternoon!!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    Got my stitches out this morning. Considering half of them came out in the middle of the movie I was watching yesterday, I was thinking this morning's visit would be a short one.

Timing-wise, it was short. But the tech taking out the stitches needs to get more training. She tugged a bit, so I left with tender/sore gums and the vague thought of taking a pain pill. Good thing I took the whole day off - I would not have liked being at work this afternoon!!
    I used to like to try to tough it out in similar situations but I've recently learned the benefits of taking off the rest of the day. Hope you're feeling better!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Top Ten Random Posters Counts

All below 10% = 557
    Maister 484
    dandy_warhol 428

Hink 305

Below 5% = 278
    Zoning Goddess 262
    JNA 229
    WSU MUP Student 223.
    ursus 222.
    Dan 220
    ofos 216.
    btrage 204.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I will try to slack more diligently.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    I will try to slack more diligently.
    Will be counting on your full cooperation on this.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Idiocracy is a good movie.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I'm much too random to be confined to a random thread.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Idiocracy is a good movie.
    Agreed.

Random thoughts of the day:
    1. My baby is a very sensitive little boy
    2. I got my haircut and colored it darker. I like it.
    3. I have an urge to go running but I cannot find my running shoes.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Closed thread
Page 223 of 374 FirstFirst ... 213 222 223 224 233 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 01 Jan 2014, 12:58 AM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 01 Jan 2012, 12:53 AM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 01 Jan 2009, 12:43 AM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 7:05 AM