Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 228 of 374 FirstFirst ... 218 227 228 229 238 ... LastLast
Results 5,676 to 5,700 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    I'm sorry but I snickered completely inappropriately at the title of this thread - I'm really sorry, I'll just go back to work now...
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    I feel bad I bombed Cardinal's thread
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    If it makes you feel any better, I contemplated responding with a somewhat inappropriate double entendre before you posted.
    It is just that some Cyburbian's sense of humor is wickedly warped and not in the least PC.
    waiting to read RJ comment/post.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Can you believe there are still dry counties in Michigan? (well, dry on Sundays at least). I'm glad I don't live in a dry county.

Seriously, what does anyone hope to accomplish by prohibiting alcohol sales on Sundays? Is there a soul on earth who believes people will think to themselves "dang, looks like I'll have to wait until tomorrow to buy that case of beer. Guess I'll just have to observe the sabbath and go sit in church thinking pious thoughts, cuz there ain't nothing else to do today..."
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Can you believe there are still dry counties in Michigan? (well, dry on Sundays at least). I'm glad I don't live in a dry county.

Seriously, what does anyone hope to accomplish by prohibiting alcohol sales on Sundays? Is there a soul on earth who believes people will think to themselves "dang, looks like I'll have to wait until tomorrow to buy that case of beer. Guess I'll just have to observe the sabbath and go sit in church thinking pious thoughts, cuz there ain't nothing else to do today..."
    I believe the state of Indiana is dry on Sundays at least for packaged liquor. You can still buy growlers at breweries though.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    My boss can be a total asshat. He sent me an e-mail insinuating that my lack of attention to detail (unfounded) would waste grant funds. Really? I'm the manager of this freaking grant, I'm the one dealing with the day-to-day budget, I'm the one who knows what HUD is requiring for this grant. He hasn't been around the past 8 months so doesn't know what is going on and to think that I would be willing to waste city funds is frankly insulting.
    Your boss must be friends with my fiscal director and her assistant. Today's meeting:

Q: Why is there a separate proposal and payment request for soil density testing? Isn't that supposed to be part of the construction contract? Why isn't there a change order?
    A: Because it is over and above the scope of density testing in the contract. This is pre-development expense. There's no change order because it is not under construction.

Q: So where is the expense going to be paid from? Where's the line item?
    A: From the lines of credit, subsidies, etc. The line item in in the BUDGET.

Q: Well you are the expert so we rely on you. How do we know what phase this expense belongs to?
    A: If you bothered to look at the payment request the costs are completely allocated to the proper account codes, project units, and PHASE.

Q: Maybe so but I don't have time to go through the whole chart of accounts!
    A: You don't have to. Phase 1-Predevelopment, Phase 2-Construction, Phase 3-Post Construction.

Q: Where'd you get that from?
    A: FROM THE CHART YOU GAVE ME

Our ED had to intervene because it was going to go to hell in a handbasket very quickly
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I spent months (far too long) waiting for a muddy site to come into compliance, and had to call out the big guns, since I really have no enforcement power. (Don't tell digger this.) Finally, the big guns had to call for reinforcements and not only was one site shut down today, but we won't release another permit to them, and they're suffering delays.

I'm astounded at how these people argue a point that's contrary to the law, and believe what they say. Straw doesn't equal erosion controls for 30 disturbed acres, nor does it equal final stabilization. And they were planting grass that clearly isn't going to grow yet. Just when we think they agree to do what will work, they send an email with a different measure.

One complication is that the reviewer in our office approved this plan that's so deficient that it's not really a plan, but might be considered to be a map. I had to eliminate him from the rest of the process, and that's going to cause me problems later, as soon as he realizes what I really did, and he's the assistant manager.

More of the same on tap tomorrow.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Mrs. Otis came home with some oyster mushrooms. I wonder what she's going to fix.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Coyotes are howling close by tonight. It warrants one ear up from our dog.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    Mrs. Otis came home with some oyster mushrooms. I wonder what she's going to fix.
    Can't believe I didn't see this coming. She fixed crepes stuffed with roasted oyster mushrooms, caramelized onions, and goat cheese, topped with jam made from fresh italian prunes, oranges, and walnuts, served on a bed of wild watercress. It should have been so obvious to me.

This woman can cook.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Raf View post
    Yes, she does. I won't shamefully plug on here or anything
    Super cute. Sending to the grandparents
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    Can't believe I didn't see this coming. She fixed crepes stuffed with roasted oyster mushrooms, caramelized onions, and goat cheese, topped with jam made from fresh italian prunes, oranges, and walnuts, served on a bed of wild watercress. It should have been so obvious to me.

This woman can cook.
    That sounds pretty amazing... although watercress and I have never had a true love moment.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    That sounds pretty amazing... although watercress and I have never had a true love moment.
    watercress and I used to exchange furtive glances as we passed each other in the halls of high school, but she belonged to a different social strata and it was our fate never to make a connection (sigh). Later, I learned she was largely devoid of any substance.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    Q: Where'd you get that from?
    A: FROM THE CHART YOU GAVE ME
    I love exchanges like that.

-"What are you talking about? I've never seen that document!"
    -"Here, let me forward to you (again) the e-mail (that we were both copied on) containing that document..."
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Super bad virus infection at work this week. Contracted it Tuesday afternoon. Infected several PCs and one of our servers. Watch out folks. It is on the move from what I hear.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    It is amazing how telling a photo can be. This morning a friend forwarded me a link with a photo showing a NYPD officer giving a homeless man a pair of boots. It is not a great quality photo because it was taken by an Arizona woman who happened to be passing by and was forwarded to the NYPD.

I think it would be a great thing for more people to take photos like this and either post them on line or send them to the appropriate people to help show the world that civility is not dead, that people can watch out for each other, and that human kindness does still exist in America.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Jan 2005
    watercress and I used to exchange furtive glances as we passed each other in the halls of high school, but she belonged to a different social strata and it was our fate never to make a connection (sigh). Later, I learned she was largely devoid of any substance.
    I found that lusting after romaine or iceberg was so much easier. (ps. Iceberg is a whore, what can't you find her in?)
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2005
    I found that lusting after romaine or iceberg was so much easier. (ps. Iceberg is a whore, what can't you find her in?)
    Don't you mean 'what can't you find in her'????
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    It is amazing how telling a photo can be. This morning a friend forwarded me a link with a photo showing a NYPD officer giving a homeless man a pair of boots. It is not a great quality photo because it was taken by an Arizona woman who happened to be passing by and was forwarded to the NYPD.

I think it would be a great thing for more people to take photos like this and either post them on line or send them to the appropriate people to help show the world that civility is not dead, that people can watch out for each other, and that human kindness does still exist in America.
    I've traveled far and wide and can say that while there are certainly assholes in the universe, they are far outnumbered by good and kind people from all walks of life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdI3T...ature=youtu.be
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Yes iceberg certainly gets around, you can find just about anything using her as a bed. I much prefer the eccentricities of rutabega

Registered
    Apr 2006
    For once I was proactive and got my sinus infection treated early. I am glad I did...it feels like I have a golf ball lodged in my right sinus.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    For once I was proactive and got my sinus infection treated early. I am glad I did...it feels like I have a golf ball lodged in my right sinus.
    My sinuses have been driving me crazy the past few days. Blasted dry air. I forgot all about that.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    My sinuses have been driving me crazy the past few days. Blasted dry air. I forgot all about that.
    Now I feel bad for reminding you.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I just turned on my computer with my toe.

And not "turned on" in that way, you pervs.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post

When Mrs. Otis and I were working in Washington, DC we daily passed a homeless woman on our way home. We often gave her a little money, and once, like the cop, we bought her a pair of warm winter boots. She was so grateful. Unfortunately we read sometime later that she had been murdered.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I can't be the first to pose this question - but what exactly is this big secret Victoria has been keeping from us all these years?

Registered
    May 2005
    I can't be the first to pose this question - but what exactly is this big secret Victoria has been keeping from us all these years?
    How funny!! I just tweeted this very thought last night!!!

I mean, I think I know what the secret is, but I've never dated a Victoria.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Closed thread
Page 228 of 374 FirstFirst ... 218 227 228 229 238 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 31 Dec 2011, 11:53 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141