Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 233 of 374 FirstFirst ... 223 232 233 234 243 ... LastLast
Results 5,801 to 5,825 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    When I wake up and my eyelids are so heavy they won't open, I think that should count as a required day off.

Double coffee please.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Do you really believe this news -

North Korea Says It's Found a 'Unicorn Lair'
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    Very cool! Can it window? I usually don't use programs in full screen mode.

I've been debating getting either a Chromebook or tablet of some sort, so I don't have to lug my laptop around. The IT director where I work is thinking about getting a Chromebook, and may sell me her olf iPad.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Nov 2009

Gripe

I want to get a new tablet that is 3G/4G capable. The problem is that I'm too cheap to pay as much for one that service providers charge (ex: I can get a new Samsung Galaxy tab 2 for around $200 if it is wifi only. Sprint wants $550 for the 3G enabled version. What is up with that?) On top of paying exorbitant fees for the ability to use it where wifi isn't available, you have to pay for a service plan and have data limits. That is a bunch of crap. My cell phone can do pretty much the exact same things and I get unlimited data usage, but I cannot add a tablet to that plan. I have to pay for another entire plan just for the tablet (like $50/month) and then I only get a few gigs before I start getting overage charges.

On top of all that, what is up with mobile service providers treating their existing customer base like we are so expendable. "New customer? Here is a fancy gadget for $99. Oh, I'm sorry, you are an existing customer? It's $300 for you, and you don't qualify for the discounted rate plan either, but thanks for being a loyal, bill-paying customer with us for the past 14 years. We really appreciate your business. Now get out of the way so we can poach customers that hop service providers every two years."
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Woke up with a headache @ 4:00 am this morning. Took a couple Advil & went back to sleep. Woke back up @ 6:30 and still can't shake this thing. UGH!

On a better note, just got a phone call that tonight's Planning Board meeting will be cancelled. Woo Hoo!
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    I want to get a new tablet that is 3G/4G capable. The problem is that I'm too cheap to pay as much for one that service providers charge (ex: I can get a new Samsung Galaxy tab 2 for around $200 if it is wifi only. Sprint wants $550 for the 3G enabled version. What is up with that?) On top of paying exorbitant fees for the ability to use it where wifi isn't available, you have to pay for a service plan and have data limits. That is a bunch of crap. My cell phone can do pretty much the exact same things and I get unlimited data usage, but I cannot add a tablet to that plan. I have to pay for another entire plan just for the tablet (like $50/month) and then I only get a few gigs before I start getting overage charges.

On top of all that, what is up with mobile service providers treating their existing customer base like we are so expendable. "New customer? Here is a fancy gadget for $99. Oh, I'm sorry, you are an existing customer? It's $300 for you, and you don't qualify for the discounted rate plan either, but thanks for being a loyal, bill-paying customer with us for the past 14 years. We really appreciate your business. Now get out of the way so we can poach customers that hop service providers every two years."
    Get wi-fi and forgo the 3G/4G thing. My tablet is just wi-fi and I get along fine with it. I also have an unlimited plan for my cell, so it works out pretty wel..
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    Get wi-fi and forgo the 3G/4G thing. My tablet is just wi-fi and I get along fine with it. I also have an unlimited plan for my cell, so it works out pretty wel..
    I actually already have one that is wifi exclusively, but it is a little older and I was considering selling it to move up to a 3G/4G version. I'm just going to stick with the wifi only version though. The cost simply isn't worth it.

Edit: I should add that it is policies like these that inspire the tech-savy among us to hack their own phones and use them as wifi hot spots to connect other devices to for free 3G/4G coverage, thereby sticking it to the man, still getting what they want, and not paying a dime extra. You would think that mobile service providers would realize this and start offering fair options to prevent this from happening.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Staying home with Junior today. Probably has the norovirus. Barf barf barf barf.....
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    I actually already have one that is wifi exclusively, but it is a little older and I was considering selling it to move up to a 3G/4G version. I'm just going to stick with the wifi only version though. The cost simply isn't worth it.

Edit: I should add that it is policies like these that inspire the tech-savy among us to hack their own phones and use them as wifi hot spots to connect other devices to for free 3G/4G coverage, thereby sticking it to the man, still getting what they want, and not paying a dime extra. You would think that mobile service providers would realize this and start offering fair options to prevent this from happening.
    Meh. When they charge 0.10 cents an overage text i pretty say screw you when i hot spot our laptop for road trips and eat up 3gb of data streaming movies. Their whole model is flawed imo. You can go to europe or gasp, mexico and get better plans and service that I can in CA. Go figure.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Raf View post
    Meh. When they charge 0.10 cents an overage text i pretty say screw you when i hot spot our laptop for road trips and eat up 3gb of data streaming movies. Their whole model is flawed imo. You can go to europe or gasp, mexico and get better plans and service that I can in CA. Go figure.
    I agree. Hotspots eat up data quickly, and now you can't do an unlimited data plan .

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Staying home with Junior today. Probably has the norovirus. Barf barf barf barf.....

I hope he feels better Maister.
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by dw914er View post
    I agree. Hotspots eat up data quickly, and now you can't do an unlimited data plan .
    Still have yet to buy my Iphone so working on an iphone 3g, jailbroken with wifitnet installed. Unlimited data still in place, mobile hotspot under AT&T radar, the larger kid is happy she can pandora in the car and stream disney channel.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Still have yet to buy my Iphone so working on an iphone 3g, jailbroken with wifitnet installed. Unlimited data still in place, mobile hotspot under AT&T radar, the larger kid is happy she can pandora in the car and stream disney channel.
    How is the Sprint coverage in your area? Got Wifi at home? Take a look at this:

http://www.republicwireless.com/

I get unlimited everything for $19 a month.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Oct 2009
    I think I lost the unlimited when I went to the 4. I haven't hit my limit anyways, but I know from other peoples' experiences that the limited data + hotspot just eats data. You also have to disable (or do something similar to) the hotspot otherwise it'll continue to eat data. My sister learned that the hard way

Quote Originally posted by Mastiff View post

IIRC, Sprint was terrible up there. It could have changed though.
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004

Sprint sucks big time here, which is suprising. I had it when I moved down here and got piss poor reception. Finally switched to a local company that's got really good national service when the phone died and I had to replace it.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Dec 2008

That's not bad. Pricey up front on the phones a little maybe, but ultimately that might work for a stiff like me whose got a wife and three daughters who all want everything on their phones. I'll be looking into it further...wondering if you ever wind up with extra charges for roaming when the wifi is sucky?
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dw914er View post
    I think I lost the unlimited when I went to the 4. I haven't hit my limit anyways, .
    I'm needing a new phone and it looks like I'm gonna have to go limited versus the unlimited I have been on. This has me worried as I usually stream music at least 3 hours a day. I wonder if there is a way to figure out how much data that is.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

Maister, you got that kid eating the BRAT diet yet or what?

this is one of those times when I wish Maister would show up and split this off....nnnnnzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    this is one of those times when I wish Maister would show up and split this off....nnnnnzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    OK, new topic -- but probably not more interesting. Trader Joe's just opened their first ever store in SLC. My question is: Do I want to go, and if I do what do I want there? No idea. Edumacate me, folks.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Went to a new Trader Joe's in Virginia last weekend. They were giving out samples of cookie butter. It was essentially peanut butter that tasted like graham crackers.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    That's not bad. Pricey up front on the phones a little maybe, but ultimately that might work for a stiff like me whose got a wife and three daughters who all want everything on their phones. I'll be looking into it further...wondering if you ever wind up with extra charges for roaming when the wifi is sucky?
    Nope. $19 is it, no roaming charges. You can get 2 phones on the first go around, but within a couple weeks they offered me 4 more. They ask you to set up wifi spots to keep costs down, and you must have it at home, but it's worked great for me so far.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I don't feel very random today. I want more random in my life... umm wow that doesn't sound good does it?
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Randomly speaking I didn't enjoy my lunch today - I enjoy using my AmExp Card, but hate paying the bill - Wish we had a Traders Joes here - Is it Friday yet - There are 3 things I want to do this Saturday morning, but can only do one - Christmas lights are going up all over the neighborhood - SQUIRREL!!!

(I should have saved this for tomorrow - 5 Things Tuesday)
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    I don't feel very random today. I want more random in my life... umm wow that doesn't sound good does it?
    May I suggest a random word generator?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    OK, new topic -- but probably not more interesting. Trader Joe's just opened their first ever store in SLC. My question is: Do I want to go, and if I do what do I want there? No idea. Edumacate me, folks.
    Of course you want to go; it's a friendly place. I find that I pick up the same things when I go, since it's kind of out of my way. The cereal I eat is half as much at TJ's. They have a good variety of frozen meals that I don't see at my local supermarket; my son's like some kind of gnocci that I pick up there. I bought some veggie patties that are pretty good, and the produce seems to be better than at the local supermarket or the walmarts.

And you can pick up fresh flowers for Mrs. Ursus.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries

I Hate Fiscal (Part 666)

I hate fiscal. Again and again and....again.

Phone w/City ID: This is kjel, how can I help you?
    City: Yes. I am calling about a lot merger application.
    Me: Probably filed by the attorney but I will help you as best I can.
    City: Well, Q4 property taxes haven't been paid on 2 of the lots so we can't review the application until we receive proof of payment.
    Me: Which lots were those and do you have the balance due?
    City: Lot X & Y, $6800.
    Me: ...Thank you!

Call to boss, see I told you that Fiscal did not pay the Q4 property taxes! She says I was right.

I send nasty gram to Fiscal and ED stating balance owed to city. Boss sends one reiterating urgency. Fiscal sends email notifying me that check will be ready for pick up tomorrow. I tell boss I am not running this to the City that Fiscal can get off their ass and do it themselves AND take the paid receipt to Planning & Zoning.

Fiscal sends response/excuse that they never received a tax statement so they didn't pay it (BS-you have 30+ properties, you should have known to ask) but no problem they will take the payment down to city hall. I am sure they will feck it up somehow and it will still be my problem.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Closed thread
Page 233 of 374 FirstFirst ... 223 232 233 234 243 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 31 Dec 2011, 11:53 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141