Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 235 of 374 FirstFirst ... 225 234 235 236 245 ... LastLast
Results 5,851 to 5,875 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    C'mon over here and I'll unzip those boots, dandy
    Fresh!

Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    Go to Teaism and get a salty oak cookie. It is on the corner of D and 8th St NW just north of the Navy Memorial. Their bento boxes are outstanding as well.

If you want a good (but pricey) Tappas place head to Jaleo...I have not lived in the District in 5 years and I still dream about both of those places.
    We walked by Jaleo. We went to Ping Pong in Chinatown. I stuffed myself silly with dim sum and it was deeee-licious!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Hey has anyone seen savemattoon anywhere - I can't remember his Facebook name to look him up and I think he may have in friended me there - he's a good guy and I hope he's okay?

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    Hey has anyone seen savemattoon anywhere - I can't remember his Facebook name to look him up and I think he may have in friended me there - he's a good guy and I hope he's okay?
    He appears to have left FB.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    And here too - can you pm me his name?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Oh yes! I have one of those. It is amazing. I only paid $15,000,000.00 for mine though. Suckers are getting ripped off!
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Add to Cart. Check!

So what would you do with your lottery winnings? I would buy 5 Ion battery chargers.... what else?
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    A friend of mine was in a bad bicycle wreck late last week. He was trail riding and hit a rock, was thrown off and landed badly. He broke his neck (now stabilized after surgery), broke his back and severed his spinal cord. He will recover but won't be able to walk again.

This sucks because he is/was an avid cyclist. Rode trails and street rides alot. His spirits seem to be very good right now and knowing him, he'll be racing wheelchairs and riding a specialized bike with hand cranks as soon as possible. Think about 'BD' for me.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Looks like I'm going to have to shell out to buy poor relatives airline tickets to fly in to town (I had to shell out last year for a relative on my side so I'm pretty much obliged to buy 'em at this point $$$)
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    A friend of mine was in a bad bicycle wreck late last week. He was trail riding and hit a rock, was thrown off and landed badly. He broke his neck (now stabilized after surgery), broke his back and severed his spinal cord. He will recover but won't be able to walk again.

This sucks because he is/was an avid cyclist. Rode trails and street rides alot. His spirits seem to be very good right now and knowing him, he'll be racing wheelchairs and riding a specialized bike with hand cranks as soon as possible. Think about 'BD' for me.
    Yikes. That's so scary... my DH is an avid cyclist too. I will be thinking of your friend, Planit. I hope he pulls through.

I went to a holiday party last night. Since it's probably the only one I will attend, I loaded up on all sorts of delicious high-calorie yummy things. That's it, I'm done.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    Yikes. That's so scary... my DH is an avid cyclist too. I will be thinking of your friend, Planit. I hope he pulls through.

I went to a holiday party last night. Since it's probably the only one I will attend, I loaded up on all sorts of delicious high-calorie yummy things. That's it, I'm done.
    We have a great company holiday party. This year we are drawing straws about who is going to go because RT now works at my organization so she has an invitation as well....and she's my babysitter. The baby does not like strangers AT ALL so someone else watching her is out.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    We have a great company holiday party. This year we are drawing straws about who is going to go because RT now works at my organization so she has an invitation as well....and she's my babysitter. The baby does not like strangers AT ALL so someone else watching her is out.
    Bring her along, you can take turns with her in an adjacent room. As a bonus, your colleagues/strangers can drop in and play peek-a-boo, help socialize** her.

**Kitten fostering term

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Bring her along, you can take turns with her in an adjacent room. As a bonus, your colleagues/strangers can drop in and play peek-a-boo, help socialize** her.

**Kitten fostering term
    It's not a baby friendly venue: served dinner, open bar, loud music, 90% adults. There's no optional room other than the bathroom or foyer that is home to the bar. Very few children attend and those that do are older-10 & up. It also starts at 7:30pm which is bath and bed time.

She likes people, just on her terms which means Mama, Papa, and Sissy are in range of sight.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I feel like the 5 things thread takes away from the random thoughts that should live in here.... I just used 5 good ones...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    I feel like the 5 things thread takes away from the random thoughts that should live in here.... I just used 5 good ones...
    tell us more, one line per posting...

Registered
    May 2005
    This is one of those days where I feel like I'm the dart board and things just keep flying at me.

A semi-fear of heights and hanging Xmas lights on a 2-story colonial do not mix.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by terraplnr View post
    If I was a painter, I would paint the warm, golden evening sunlight that happens this time of year. I can see it out my supervisor's window... truly golden rays.
    It's never too late to become a painter. Do it!
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    This is one of those days where I feel like I'm the dart board and things just keep flying at me.
    Feelings of vulnerability: never enjoyable. Find a happy place, btrage. Go to your happy place!

Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    It's never too late to become a painter. Do it!
    True! My dad is 75 years old and has Parkinson's and Cancer. He has taken up watercolors this year. The stuff he's doing is beautiful. Who knew? And the thing is, my sisters say "How sad, Dad never knew he could paint." I say "Sad, nothing: He's painting now. NOW is all that matters. There isn't anything else."

Unexpected philosophical moment has passed. I'm having tuna for lunch.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    True! My dad is 75 years old and has Parkinson's and Cancer. He has taken up watercolors this year. The stuff he's doing is beautiful. Who knew? And the thing is, my sisters say "How sad, Dad never knew he could paint." I say "Sad, nothing: He's painting now. NOW is all that matters. There isn't anything else."
    whoa, that was beautiful, man - I need a nap after that post...

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    whoa, that was beautiful, man - I need a nap after that post...
    It was exhausting for me too. I broke a sweat using capitals and doing all that....feeeeling. Going back to bad jokes.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Good salt and vinegar chips can save a bad sandwich.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I just bought a pack of Reese Peanut Butter Cups. Is it just me or are they much smaller than they used to be?

Registered
    Jul 2006
    One of the topics of our conference call was about not depending on email when you need a quick answer. After the meeting, co-worker in the next office came over and asked if I'd gotten his email during the call asking me to turn down the volume on my speaker phone.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    One of the topics of our conference call was about not depending on email when you need a quick answer. After the meeting, co-worker in the next office came over and asked if I'd gotten his email during the call asking me to turn down the volume on my speaker phone.
    You should have turned the volume up louder so that he could have learned about his mistake.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner View post
    I just bought a pack of Reese Peanut Butter Cups. Is it just me or are they much smaller than they used to be?
    When you buy the bags or packs of them they do seem smaller. It's very disappointing to someone like me. I like a nice, big cup when I want it.

Closed thread
Page 235 of 374 FirstFirst ... 225 234 235 236 245 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 01 Jan 2014, 12:58 AM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 01 Jan 2012, 12:53 AM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 01 Jan 2009, 12:43 AM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 7:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141