Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 241 of 374 FirstFirst ... 231 240 241 242 251 ... LastLast
Results 6,001 to 6,025 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Pondering getting a new snow thrower. The one I have needs repairs and is older than Maister!
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    My code enforcement staff is not showing good judgement in prioritizing and scheduling violations before our code enforcement board. Is it that difficult? How about using some common sense every now and again?

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    My code enforcement staff is not showing good judgement in prioritizing and scheduling violations before our code enforcement board. Is it that difficult? How about using some common sense every now and again?
    It seems my fair city has exported code enforcement methodology to your neck of the woods.

Trash/overgrown weeds ticket requiring a hearing before a judge and a plea deal with a prosecutor? Check.

$100 + $33 court cost, thank you very much.

Meanwhile the house across the street is falling down at a rapid rate. I never have seen one of those violations in court.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 2004
    They had a surprising number of Christmas decorations up at the Secretary of State today (DMV in Illinois). They also didn't take Visa for some reason, though luckily I happened to have a check in my wallet.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Linda_D View post
    . Just because you're an ignorant jackass,
    They don't identify as an ignorant jackass.

I get horrendously over-uber-over the top-patriotic stuff, unfortunately, from some very close tea party relatives, and mostly I try to ignore it until they started posted Red Skelton

crap from the sixties. No logic, no relevance, just pseudo-patriotic prattle, and I commented on that, and I was unfriended which, in this case, was a blessing.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Linda_D View post
    Why do people who know me keep sending me those obviously right-wing email chain-letters that circulate endlessly on the web? I'm talking about relatives and friends here, NOT just acquaintances. It's NOT like I keep my political views secret or anything (who drove around redneck heaven with Obama magnets on her Subis during the last two election cycles?), and I never respond or pass on any of this stuff. It's no secret that I've long been active in unions and am a strong advocate for civil rights in general, and woman's rights in particular, as well as being a radical on immigration (let anybody who's NOT a criminal and wants to work come on in) and have no use for mixing religion and politics.

Just because I support law enforcement and consider myself to be fairly patriotic does NOT mean that I want the Ten Commandments plastered all over public buildings or someone's religious dogma being passed off as science in public schools or approve of using racial, religious or sexist slurs to prove you're NOT "politically incorrect". Just because you're an ignorant jackass, don't assume everyone else you know or are related to is also an ignorant jackass.

//rant over
    I have an aunt who is like that. She kept sending the right-wing, paranoid, frothing-at-the-mouth stuff. I finally had talk to her about the fact that she is my aunt, she's family and I love her dearly but don't send me that !@#$%^&*&^%$#@!. My dad, who is non political, had to have the same talk with her. She finally stopped forwarding that !@#$%^&**&^%$#@! to us, tho I to reminder her during the election
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    She kept sending the right-wing, paranoid, frothing-at-the-mouth stuff.....
    Is it just me or is there a WHOLE LOT more of that 'frothing-at-the-mouth-you-must-forward-this-glurge right wing stuff out there than its left wing counterpart?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2005
    It was weird seeing no Hostess products on the shelves of the mini-mart this a.m.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Nothing official on the agenda today. What to do, what to do...
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I am speaking at the grand opening of a McDonald's today...

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I was bothered when I realized that I would be in the office the day of our office holiday party. I'm feeling pretty Scrooge-ish this year.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    So what're you gonna say? (tip: try not to get too emotional or teary eyed. It'll make it hard for people to understand what you're saying.)
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2005

want fries with that?

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    So what're you gonna say? (tip: try not to get too emotional or teary eyed. It'll make it hard for people to understand what you're saying.)
    "well, not everyone gets to be an astronaut when they grow up..."

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    You have to sneak at least one "robble robble!" into your speech!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner View post

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner View post
    You know we really should help the lass write a speech, shouldn't we?
    I suggest starting out "You deserve a break today (pause) after all the hard work that went into the planning and construction of this place..."

You may want to mention two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, on a sesame seed bun too.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Is it just me or is there a WHOLE LOT more of that 'frothing-at-the-mouth-you-must-forward-this-glurge right wing stuff out there than its left wing counterpart?
    Some of the stuff was just down right unreal, having absolutely no bearing in reality. As for the left wing stuff, I think there is, it just doesn't get as much play in the press.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    You know we really should help the lass write a speech, shouldn't we?
    I suggest starting out "You deserve a break today (pause) after all the hard work that went into the planning and construction of this place..."

You may want to mention two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, on a sesame seed bun too.
    I was going to break out in song yes

"i'm lovin' it!"

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Thank goodness for Puffs Plus with lotion.

Registered
    Feb 2004

"i'm lovin' it!"
    And if the mayor is there, by all means have a Freudian slip referring to him/her as "Mayor McCheese... I mean Smith"

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I'm listening to a pretty decent ska station on grooveshark but I'm just not feeling it.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Very cool.

15 year veteran employee of McDonald's. I made more money as a general manager in 2003 than I do in my current capacity. At least they paid for a good portion of my undergraduate education. Much of my skill set was learned at McDonald's, my boss recognizes me for this all the time. I guess that's why I get called to resolve disputes amongst employees and design systems and processes. The fiscal department appreciates my thorough knowledge of accounting principles even if we are at loggerheads.

"i'm lovin' it!"
    I'm lovin' it!
    We love to see you smile!
    Did somebody say McDonald's?
    Have you had your break today?
    What you want is what you get.
    Food, folks, and fun.
    It's Mac tonight.
    You deserve a break today!
    Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, on a sesame seed bun!

Once or twice a year I'd have a random customer that would come through the drive thru and ask me to sing the Big Mac song, I usually obliged
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, on a sesame seed bun!

Once or twice a year I'd have a random customer that would come through the drive thru and ask me to sing the Big Mac song, I usually obliged
    Hey you forgot the pickles and onions! What do you think this is - Have it your way?

Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    That is awesome! Do you suppose I could really get Mrs. Maister to wear that? If so, I would consider getting that as a Xmas gift.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Have you ever placed a collect call? (You young'uns even know what a collect call is?)
    When I was in high school and before my friends and I were old enough to have cars, if I was at the store or movies or bowling alley or wherever and was ready to get picked up, instead of using my change to call my parents from a payphone I would call collect and say that my name was "Come get me!" and my parents would know what that meant and not have to accept the charges.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Closed thread
Page 241 of 374 FirstFirst ... 231 240 241 242 251 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 31 Dec 2011, 11:53 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141