Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 249 of 374 FirstFirst ... 239 248 249 250 259 ... LastLast
Results 6,201 to 6,225 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    Definitely toothpick! Today is our holiday party luncheon, the town closes down most services for an hour and half today and I'll be performing a part in a skit..fun!
    two words: You Tube

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by Big Owl View post
    Last night I witness the most elegantly spoken psychotic rant that I'd ever heard at a public hearing. Very entertaining.
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Things like this make me wonder how people can ever keep straight faces at public hearings.
    I probably would have leaned over to you and whispered "Tell her it really doesn't matter since the world is going to end on Dec. 21st" to which we both would have burst out laughing and interupted such an elegant display of the public interaction.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    I am going to make sausage-cheeseballs for our holiday potluck at the office Friday. Should they all be toothpicked? Or do you think the masses can be trusted not to thrust dirty paws into the pot?

I would provide a giant spoon... but I don't have one right now that I don't mind taking out of my home and I have no time to shop for such a thing between now and then. They are dry, btw, not saucy.
    Bring a container of toothpicks, and have them available next to the container. You might prime the pump by installing a few into the delicacy. People can figure it out.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Last Night I watched Star Trek IV the voyage home (please hold you laughter, the wife was sick). I noticed they tried to pass off the Monterrey Bay Aquarium as the place where the whales were kept, but also made me think, how much $100 went in SF circa 1984... just some thoughts.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Aug 2005

Lunch break

4 days of work-work remain for me in 2012.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    I was kind of shocked just now when Dandy noted she only has 4 days of work left in 2012. I think I just realized the year is nearly over. Time really goes by faster every year.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I was kind of shocked just now when Dandy noted she only has 4 days of work left in 2012. I think I just realized the year is nearly over. Time really goes by faster every year.
    I have 9 days left. Apparently I don't have time to take off any other days than the holidays. Stupid NSP2 deadline....
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    4 days of work-work remain for me in 2012.
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    I have 9 days left. Apparently I don't have time to take off any other days than the holidays. Stupid NSP2 deadline....
    I have 5 days left counting today and my half day tomorrow as full days. My pay bucket will be particularly empty this month, but it will be nice to be home more.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Nov 2009
    I have 11 1/2 days left. How do you people have so much time off coming up?
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I have 11 1/2 days left. How do you people have so much time off coming up?
    Each year my employer allows us to take as much time off in December as we like without using our vacation time but without pay, as long as our supervisors approve it. The employer sells it as a way to allow us to spend more time with our families or whatever, but so many people take advantage of it that it must be a pretty good cost savings in terms of salary that gets paid in December.

This is the first year I've ever taken advantage of it and I am taking off all the Mondays and Fridays this month (as well as a couple other random days).
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Each year my employer allows us to take as much time off in December as we like without using our vacation time but without pay, as long as our supervisors approve it. The employer sells it as a way to allow us to spend more time with our families or whatever, but so many people take advantage of it that it must be a pretty good cost savings in terms of salary that gets paid in December.

This is the first year I've ever taken advantage of it and I am taking off all the Mondays and Fridays this month (as well as a couple other random days).
    That is exceptionally awesome. I could really love 4 days weekends for the entire month!
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    That is exceptionally awesome. I could really love 4 days weekends for the entire month!
    Amen to that. I am also taking the 21st to the 6th off! It will be one of the longest breaks from work that I have ever had. Odds are I will still do work, but not go in... maybe....
    "I learned many great lessons from my father, not the least of which, was that you can fail at what you don't want, so you might as well take a chance on doing what you love." - Jim Carrey

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Seven more days of work... this year we are required to take off between Christmas and New Year's (and use vacation time for it). Fortunately I had already scheduled a plane trip to visit family for those days anyway. The crappy thing is there's no "unpaid time off" option, if you don't have enough vacation time banked then they'll pay you but garnish your future vacation. That would suck, if I was a new employee.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    ....I once had a corduroy jacket....
    With elbow patches no less.

=================================================================================================

After today I have 1 1/2 days of work, taking 8 days for Xmas, and still will not use up all my time, something like 3 days.
    Banking 5 days sick time. My sick bank acount = 18 weeks.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries

No such thing in my shop. If you take off they take whatever vacation or sick time you have. If you have comp hours you have to use those first. I can't afford unpaid days anyways. It's looking like there will be 2 of us out of a regular staff of 9 that will be working between Christmas and New Years. I guess I will catch up on all my compliance reporting.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Amen to that. I am also taking the 21st to the 6th off! It will be one of the longest breaks from work that I have ever had. Odds are I will still do work, but not go in... maybe....
    That's basically what I'm doing. No work the last week of December or the first week of January. I may go into the office on January 4.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    With elbow patches no less.

...and a leather collar and buttons

no free time for me just the holidays

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Not cool, we were going to have a 'kids' birthday party for our oldest (he will be 4 on Sunday) but every one of our friends with kids is busy with Christmas programs at churches, family get together before they head out of down, or are just unwilling to drive the 2 1/2 hours.

Ironically, everyone that we invited that does not have kids will be there.
    "I learned many great lessons from my father, not the least of which, was that you can fail at what you don't want, so you might as well take a chance on doing what you love." - Jim Carrey

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    I probably would have leaned over to you and whispered "Tell her it really doesn't matter since the world is going to end on Dec. 21st" to which we both would have burst out laughing and interupted such an elegant display of the public interaction.
    I had to avoid eye contact with everyone... it was amazing that she put together her argument with only one day notice. I had to be very careful during the next item I presented; however, after the meeting I was very bad.

Not cool, we were going to have a 'kids' birthday party for our oldest (he will be 4 on Sunday) but every one of our friends with kids is busy with Christmas programs at churches, family get together before they head out of down, or are just unwilling to drive the 2 1/2 hours.

One of the best kids party was were it was all grown-ups and one child. My daughter got to play with her toys with whoever brought them, everyone had a bast so much so we ordered pizza and sent for beer and apple juice. The vast majority stayed for hours.

Registered
    May 2005

Outside of the girls' first birthdays, we have only had one other party, and this consisted of just my wife and I taking a bunch of kids to see one of the Shrek movies. Part of the reason why is what you described above. People are just too busy and really, how many "parties" does a kid need right? We always make a big deal out of our girls' birthdays, we've just never been into throwing parties for them. Maybe we suck as parents.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Big Owl View post
    One of the best kids party was were it was all grown-ups and one child. My daughter got to play with her toys with whoever brought them, everyone had a bast so much so we ordered pizza and sent for beer and apple juice. The vast majority stayed for hours.
    Everyone with kids commented that they wished it was on Saturday... we wanted it on Saturday too, but the Mother Out-Law would not be able to make it. I told my wife that is even more reason to have it on Saturday!

I might have to comment to her "shame mini-skis's friends are not here... they could only make it on Saturday, but since you could not make it on Saturday, we had to tell him that his friends could not make it to his birthday party... now he thinks he has no friends. All because his grandmother could not adjust her plans."

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    The girl is going to a friend's birthday party on Saturday and we plan on sorting & wrapping her gifts while she is absent from the house.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    The girl is going to a friend's birthday party on Saturday and we plan on sorting & wrapping her gifts while she is absent from the house.
    This is always a challenge at my house. Nobody's ever out of the house at the same time. I wrap clandestinely, late late at night. That's also when I sneak cookies.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Aug 2002

"Great then, sucks now"

I thought the title of this thread referred to my day.

Great story by Jon Wertheim in Sports Illustrated about the HS football team working through tragedy at Ishpeming Michigan. (If you're the weepy sort, you might want to wait until you are alone to read it ...)

+++
    I have a theory, unproven, that the 25th post in any thread is the least quoted of the 25 possible choices. Maybe we could get a grant to study if it's true, and why.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Closed thread
Page 249 of 374 FirstFirst ... 239 248 249 250 259 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 31 Dec 2011, 11:53 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM