Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 251 of 374 FirstFirst ... 241 250 251 252 261 ... LastLast
Results 6,251 to 6,275 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Registered
    Nov 2009
    I simply do not have the energy or patience to debate things anymore. I have an opinion and understand that others have opinions.
    I understand that there is value to be gained in sharing information and ideas, but certain topics I just no longer have any interest in talking about with others most of the time.

That is all. Carry on.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    You have a secret cookie admirer! That is adorable! And I'm jealous. All anyone ever puts down for me when i'm away from my desk are permits to review....
    You think maybe someday I might attract a secret beer admirer? Get up, go to the restroom and when I get back find a bottle of Chimay or Rogue sitting on my desk....that would be nice.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    I simply do not have the energy or patience to debate things anymore. I have an opinion and understand that others have opinions.
    I understand that there is value to be gained in sharing information and ideas, but certain topics I just no longer have any interest in talking about with others most of the time.

That is all. Carry on.
    I would really like to debate this with you.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Kid Sing Along day at school... I took the day off. The sing along thing was 12 minutes. Yep that gives me a nice rest of the day....
    B-I-N-G-O! B-I-N-G-O! B-I-N-G-O! and Bingo was his name-O!

Repeat ad nauseum.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post

That is all. Carry on.
    Kids will take that fight right out of ya. And then, ironically, one day soon you have to debate them about everything.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    May 2005
    Kids will take that fight right out of ya. And then, ironically, one day soon you have to debate them about everything.
    My 9 year old daughter has already convinced herself that she's smarter than me.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    One indicator that your city isn't exactly a mecca for Millennials or Generation Xers.

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Dec 2008
    New Record! I slept a good, solid 45 minutes sitting up at my desk. I noticed the time (around 2:15 p.m.) and know that I drifted off soon thereafter. Snap of the fingers I'm waking up and it's 3:05 p.m., my arm is completely asleep because of the position I was in and my sensor enabled office light had gone out.

It's been a rough week.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    . . . and my sensor enabled office light had gone out. It's been a rough week.
    I have one of those in my office too. When I am in there working and the light goes off I feel like I must be a slug. I don't even move enough to keep the damn light on. The one in the hallway can be handy, though. On a quiet day you can tell when the boss is coming down the hall.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    B-I-N-G-O! B-I-N-G-O! B-I-N-G-O! and Bingo was his name-O!

Repeat ad nauseum.

It was Christmas songs with hand motions. Of course my kid is in the front row and does maybe one of the 30 motions. Sometimes I wonder what they are spending time doing Although I do think their acting was better than Kristin Stewarts.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    blech - I miss having admin - I hate assembling grant binders!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    blech - I miss having admin - I hate assembling grant binders!
    Honey, handle that for me. And fetch me another cup of coffee, will ya?
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Oh great... look like I am going to need to see my chiropractor. I turned my head and there was a sharp pain. Now I can not turn it at all!
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I'm posting late just to keep my vow of more afterhours activity....

So Addie my seven year old tonight, trying to remember math concepts. Here is her take on subtraction.

" OOOOhhh that's right. It's like when you're playing 'bubblegum bubblegum' and there's a mean girl you want to get out you have to count how many she is away if you want her gone. That's like subtracting! it's the number BETWEEN that matters!"

OK, so I'm disturbed and really pleased at the same time. Public school folks - it uses real life to teach.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I'm posting late just to keep my vow of more afterhours activity....

So Addie my seven year old tonight, trying to remember math concepts. Here is her take on subtraction.

" OOOOhhh that's right. It's like when you're playing 'bubblegum bubblegum' and there's a mean girl you want to get out you have to count how many she is away if you want her gone. That's like subtracting! it's the number BETWEEN that matters!"

OK, so I'm disturbed and really pleased at the same time. Public school folks - it uses real life to teach.
    A real world application for book knowledge, what a concept! How can you be disturbed about that?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    My 9 year old daughter has already convinced herself that she's smarter than me.
    The girl is quite adapt at debating most everything (she's 9 too). This morning's debate was which jacket was warmer. I just ended it with "Please argue some more."
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I feel like I have bashed my head against a bunch of rocks... much like the house on the cover of planning magazine...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by btrage
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    The girl is quite adapt at debating most everything (she's 9 too). This morning's debate was which jacket was warmer. I just ended it with "Please argue some more."
    Hearing about your nine year old girls help me to realize mine isn't so atypical. It really is a relief. Now I just need to deal with/worry about her distractability. She truly comes by it honestly (boo), and it doesn't seem to be affecting her schoolwork at all, but seriously the kid seems to be in ten different places in as many minutes. It's easy to remind her to slow down and focus, but surely telling her this as I am making dinner, sorting laundry, picking up the house, packing gym back for the next day, etc. isn't such a good example.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    My standard response was "Thank you for teaching me this. I don't know how I survived up until you were able to set me straight on this."

I'm headed out to look at complaint that was filed on behalf of an adult child of what is turning out to be the world's most diligent helicopter parent. I can't wait to get this one finished.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Sometimes I feel like comparing plans is like finding waldo... it is amazing how much a developer "forgets" to tell you they changed....

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    In third grade my son was tested. He actually is smarter than me. Of course that achievement is pretty low hanging fruit.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    In third grade my son was tested. He actually is smarter than me. Of course that achievement is pretty low hanging fruit.

That same thought has crossed my mind.

There's a big difference between whiny kids who like to argue and those that truly believe they are smarter than their parents.

To be honest, I always thought I was smarter than my parents. And I think I was. I got away with so much stuff, partly because I played the good boy role so well they probably didn't think they had anything to worry about.

Now, I just assume that my children are trying to be sneaky, so I am well prepared to get up in their business.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Gosh, I sure do enjoy listening to the Canadian Brass (was listening to a Christmas album of theirs last night). I guess that means I hate America, huh?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Gosh, I sure do enjoy listening to the Canadian Brass (was listening to a Christmas album of theirs last night). I guess that means I hate America, huh?
    This makes me want to listen to the Tijuana Brass. Ba-da-ba-daaaaaaaa Ba-ba-ba-daaaaaaaa! Yeah. You know what I'm talking about. It was a rough week. I could use a little alone time with Herb Alpert (listening to him, sick-o). Thanks to TerraSapient, (hugs to you, TS) I've also started to appreciate Miles Davis. That could soothe my nerves. Perhaps I should look up the Canadian Brass. I'll give it a shot.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    This makes me want to listen to the Tijuana Brass. Ba-da-ba-daaaaaaaa Ba-ba-ba-daaaaaaaa! Yeah. You know what I'm talking about. It was a rough week. I could use a little alone time with Herb Alpert (listening to him, sick-o). Thanks to TerraSapient, (hugs to you, TS) I've also started to appreciate Miles Davis. That could soothe my nerves. Perhaps I should look up the Canadian Brass. I'll give it a shot.
    I don't know that I'll listen to the Tijuana Brass but I may pull out the old Whipped Cream album and meditate for a while.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Closed thread
Page 251 of 374 FirstFirst ... 241 250 251 252 261 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 31 Dec 2011, 11:53 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM