Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 252 of 374 FirstFirst ... 242 251 252 253 262 ... LastLast
Results 6,276 to 6,300 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    I don't know that I'll listen to the Tijuana Brass but I may pull out the old Whipped Cream album and meditate for a while.
    Whatever blows your mind, man. Rock solid.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    ... Perhaps I should look up the Canadian Brass. I'll give it a shot.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow
    Extremely productive morning today. Now for food!
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Very cool! I play the piano and oboe and am picking up the guitar. Never been a brass man, but as my daughter continues with the trombone I am becoming a fan! Very, very cool.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Feb 2004
    One hears about the proverbial 'Rootin' Tootin' Cowboy. My question, if you were a cowboy would you be more about the rooting part or the tooting?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    One hears about the proverbial 'Rootin' Tootin' Cowboy. My question, if you were a cowboy would you be more about the rooting part or the tooting?
    I assume that the "rooting" part must pertain to digging postholes for fences. And the "tooting" refers to the traditional use of beans in a cowboy's diet.

Given my disinclination to hard work, I would not be more rooting than tooting, I guess.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    I assume that the "rooting" part must pertain to digging postholes for fences. And the "tooting" refers to the propensity of beans in a traditional cowboy's diet.
    They were kinda vague on that sort of distinction
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Thing is, I don't think any actual Cowboys ever considered themselves "Rootin' or Tootin'" and I'm pretty sure they'd have shot you for saying it.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Sometimes I find that random drivel is the best drivel.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Sometimes I find that random drivel is the best drivel.
    Kinda like everytime I pull it up I think:

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I wish I had a house made of stone and light.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    Very cool! I play the piano and oboe and am picking up the guitar. Never been a brass man, but as my daughter continues with the trombone I am becoming a fan! Very, very cool.
    That's the original group, and they were early adopters of "classical is fun" staging and apparel. I've seen them live a few times...there's this schtick involving how to pronounce "something that belongs to Bach" and gets the audience involved. I can't hear the name without adding the 'sss suffix.

Present day:
    http://www.npr.org/event/music/15327...y-desk-concert

Guess which one of 'em is a FB buddy.

Next year

Registered
    Apr 2003
    It is days like today that I am thankful for the kids that I have. Knowing what happened, I cannot turn on any media source, including Facebook, as it is just too upsetting right now.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    It is days like today that I am thankful for the kids that I have. Knowing what happened, I cannot turn on any media source, including Facebook, as it is just too upsetting right now.
    I had to stop eating my lunch as I was checking FB and Twitter. I'm sad and angry all at the same time.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Sad day for families everywhere.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    I literally am sick to my stomach. And keep tearing up. It is scary how little control you have over what happens to your kids. Intuitively, I know this and always have, but what a horrible reminder. All I want to do is hug my kid and not let go.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    The whole thing is just so unconscionable....

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Sandy Hook Elementary . . .WTF. . .Murder-suicide . . .These rampagers should make it just suicide.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Have been really looking forward to our office party tonight, but with the horrible event of this morning and a cold coming on, I really wish I could hibernate in bed. I will believe in Hell if for no other reason than these mass murderers who then commit suicide deserve the very worst the Devil can do to them, especially when they shoot children.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Our office party starts in 30 mins. I didn't want to go BEFORE I heard the news about Connecticut. Now I definitely don't want to.

I'm trying to think of a plausible way to get out. Help me. Please

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Our office party starts in 30 mins. I didn't want to go BEFORE I heard the news about Connecticut. Now I definitely don't want to.

Friend's vehicle broke down and is stranded somewhere, you need to help him/her

Registered
    Jul 2006

Migraine headache or it's that time of the month, which ever works best for you.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Why do all the carts at my local Walmart sound like industry?

Seriously. I'll grab a cart, start pushing it, and *BANG*BANG*BANG*BANG*BANG*, like I'm on the floor of a Detroit stamping plant. Put that cart away, grab another, and *BANG*BANG*BANG*BANG*BANG*. Every single cart.

Meanwhile, at Wegmans, their carts roll as smoothly as a 1974 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special Brougham on a freshly paved Interstate, even on their ceramic tile floors.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Why do all the carts at my local Walmart sound like industry?

Seriously. I'll grab a cart, start pushing it, and *BANG*BANG*BANG*BANG*BANG*, like I'm on the floor of a Detroit stamping plant. Put that cart away, grab another, and *BANG*BANG*BANG*BANG*BANG*. Every single cart.

Meanwhile, at Wegmans, their carts roll as smoothly as a 1974 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special Brougham on a freshly paved Interstate, even on their ceramic tile floors.
    God favors Wegmans....Industry favors Walmart.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Getting hugs from my boys when I got home was the best thing that happened to me all day!

Closed thread
Page 252 of 374 FirstFirst ... 242 251 252 253 262 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 31 Dec 2011, 11:53 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141