Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 255 of 374 FirstFirst ... 245 254 255 256 265 ... LastLast
Results 6,351 to 6,375 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Registered
    May 2005
    Because I'll be gone for 2 weeks, I'm writing a staff report today for a meeting that isn't until January 8.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Because I'll be gone for 2 weeks, I'm writing a staff report today for a meeting that isn't until January 8.
    You sure you expecting a lot.... that is a whole 3 weeks after the world ends... you think you can get out of the bunker, gather your few belongings, fight off the zombies, and still make it to the meeting in only 3 weeks.... good luck
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    You sure you expecting a lot.... that is a whole 3 weeks after the world ends... you think you can get out of the bunker, gather your few belongings, fight off the zombies, and still make it to the meeting in only 3 weeks.... good luck
    I don't know about you but I have a pair of khaki pants, a blue button down shirt, and navy blazer in my bug out bag. I'll be ready to fight off zombies and present at upcoming meetings.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Damn it! I just burnt my tongue.

I drink hot tea everyday. What a dufus.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    Damn it! I just burnt my tongue.

I drink hot tea everyday. What a dufus.
    That is why you should add milk or cream... it tones it down just enough. Do you like tea without any "other" stuff in it?
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Nov 2009
    That is why you should add milk or cream... it tones it down just enough. Do you like tea without any "other" stuff in it?
    I drink my tea plain, though I tend to drink flavored teas or teas infused with herbs.
    Like black tea with vanilla or black tea with orange rind, or maybe some chai or cinnamon. So much deliciousness out there to sip on!
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Feb 2004

overheard in the office

"So I'm probably going to end up having to crock pot it."

First time I've heard that verb
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2008
    (insert fantastic English Accent) Tea! Earl Grey! Hot! (accent off)
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Yesterday the older gentleman who lives two houses up the street stopped by... to drop off an enormous poinsettia plant! I was speechless, but managed to pull myself together enough to thank him. I forgot to wish him a merry Christmas, though, or find out his first name...

It was a very neighborly gesture.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    Yesterday the older gentleman who lives two houses up the street stopped by... to drop off an enormous poinsettia plant! I was speechless, but managed to pull myself together enough to thank him. I forgot to wish him a merry Christmas, though, or find out his first name...

It was a very neighborly gesture.
    Wow. That is so cool. You never hear of such things anymore. MW and I have been trying to figure out how to get to know our new neighbors. We only have 1 that we really share a boundary with and they seem a bit cooky, but I'd prefer to know them than to not know them. Maybe a poinsettia is a good ice breaker.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Dec 2008
    An older neighbor of ours brings plants around to some of us once in a while (he was/is a florist). The second time he brought them we happened to all be home and had him come in and sit for a while. Ken is a great old guy to know. Very twinkly and the kids love when they see him on his porch or in his yard on their way to or from school and they can talk to him or say hi. I feel sorry for people who live in neighborhoods where there is not a good mix of older and younger people, established families and new couples...it makes it great.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    Wow. That is so cool. You never hear of such things anymore. MW and I have been trying to figure out how to get to know our new neighbors. We only have 1 that we really share a boundary with and they seem a bit cooky, but I'd prefer to know them than to not know them. Maybe a poinsettia is a good ice breaker.
    I don't want to know my neighbors.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    I don't want to know my neighbors.
    We moved to the middle of nowhere to get some peace and quite... turns out our neighbors are nice... even if there are only 2 on our 1 mile block...

Registered
    Aug 2005
    City Council has informally proposed to get rid of our Historic Preservation and thinks the planning & development review process should go the way of the dodo.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    City Council has informally proposed to get rid of our Historic Preservation and thinks the planning & development review process should go the way of the dodo.
    Doh! Doh!
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I'm entertaining the idea of using part of my vacation this spring to volunteer on a healthcare project in Africa. I'm slightly worried that I might come back with a kid or two.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I am feeling very binary today... must be the weather...

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    omg I so need a life

By the time the children are in junior high, the full school Christmas programs are a chore. OTOH after the last one next year, I'll probably long for them. On second thought, I highly doubt it...
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    I'm entertaining the idea of using part of my vacation this spring to volunteer on a healthcare project in Africa. I'm slightly worried that I might come back with a kid or two.
    My sister went to Haiti recently on a healthcare mission. She sent pictures of the kids at the orphanage while she was there. I told her to leave her stuff and bring back as many as she fit in her luggage. She was concerned she wouldn't get past customs as she had a hard enough time getting 1,250 marbles that my daughters sent to the kids at the orphanage into the country. Here are some of the kids...

Registered
    Jun 2009
    I miss Sasksaab. He made me feel all warm and tingly inside.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    He'll appear now. You said his name. It's like saying Bloody Mary in the bathroom mirror.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    He'll appear now. You said his name. It's like saying Bloody Mary in the bathroom mirror.
    RED RUM.....

AHHHH!!!!

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    RED RUM.....

AHHHH!!!!
    Now I'm in the mood. I'm turning out the light in my office and I'm going to say his name backward three times into the Cyburbia homepage on my computer monitor. I'm willing to wait at least 40 more minutes for an appearance....then I've got Council meeting....

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Only two people complimented me on my new, very colorful Christmas-themed tie today. Maybe because it is a Jerry Garcia brand?
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Closed thread
Page 255 of 374 FirstFirst ... 245 254 255 256 265 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 31 Dec 2011, 11:53 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM