Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 257 of 374 FirstFirst ... 247 256 257 258 267 ... LastLast
Results 6,401 to 6,425 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow
    Tonight's my last neighborhood association meeting as a board member. I can not believe it was 6 years!

Starting in January, I will be on our City's Historic Preservation Commission.
    Trusting a DC politician with your money is like trusting a hungry dog with a raw steak.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Tonight's my last neighborhood association meeting as a board member. I can not believe it was 6 years!

I find it odd you have term limits, but HH is not a normal neighborhood. When I was on my neighborhood association board in GR we rarely had a full board so the notion of term limits is odd. That's one of the things I miss about GR is the active neighborhood associations. Now that I'm out in a suburb of Detroit, you just don't have that.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Aug 2002

ties and pies

All the discussion of Jerry Garcia ties is making me crave Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia ice cream. Do they still make that?

I can't decide what kind of pie to order for our holiday gathering (which also happens to be my sister's birthday). I briefly toyed with the idea of making a pie myself, but it's really not worth it when the best pies in the county are made and sold only a few miles from my house.

I'll have to get some vanilla ice cream, too. My MIL and I giggled (!) over ice cream desserts on Thanksgiving.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Last night I made chicken cordon bleu. I had two left to make and was out of ham slices. I found pastrami in the fridge and used that instead. Turned out to be a nice combination. I already have my "God Only Knows Soup" recipe, which contains leftovers from the fridge. Now my chicken-pastrami cordon bleu.

Another twenty or so recipes and I am ready for that cooking show on the Food Network - "Otterpop's Cooking With Things That Haven't Spoiled Yet."
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    Last night I made chicken cordon bleu. I had two left to make and was out of ham slices. I found pastrami in the fridge and used that instead. Turned out to be a nice combination. I already have my "God Only Knows Soup" recipe, which contains leftovers from the fridge. Now my chicken-pastrami cordon bleu.

Another twenty or so recipes and I am ready for that cooking show on the Food Network - "Otterpop's Cooking With Things That Haven't Spoiled Yet."
    Yes! Yes! Yes!

I have a "dying vegetable soup" that is to die for!
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    So if you were going to be judged for a recipe for a group of worker what would you make?

Last year I made bacon wrapped smokies in a jack daniels bbq glaze.... I need something unique, but enjoyable by the masses....
    If you are good with genetic engineering, I would suggest creating bite size boneless turkeys as I think deep fried bite size boneless turkeys would be tasty and neat looking on a toothpick. If genetic engineering is your forte, then bacon carmel popcorn; however, be warned if you do bacon two years in row, you may get type cast.

Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    ...snip

The departmental Christmas social is today, but no tie
    My department consist of two people so we and we are very social; so we are doing our social separately. It reduces the chance of awkward moments and is less intrusive on our non-work time.

Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    All the discussion of Jerry Garcia ties is making me crave Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia ice cream. Do they still make that?

yes they do and it is as delicious as always. The make it in regular and frozen yogurt, but the regular is the best the frozen yogurt not so much.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    What is it about the allure of a different place that makes moving seem so appealing?
    Trusting a DC politician with your money is like trusting a hungry dog with a raw steak.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I find it odd you have term limits, but HH is not a normal neighborhood. When I was on my neighborhood association board in GR we rarely had a full board so the notion of term limits is odd. That's one of the things I miss about GR is the active neighborhood associations. Now that I'm out in a suburb of Detroit, you just don't have that.
    We have a relatively active neighborhood association in my neighborhood. They are diligently working on getting our neighborhood next on the list for sidewalks and from what I've seen they are actually making pretty good progress with it. From talking to some of the older folks in the neighborhood, it sounds like the association has really gotten more active over the past couple of years because a) there are more young families (well, young as in mid-to-late thirties) finally moving back in and b) they are trying to get out in front of a recent trend of tear-downs and monster-sized houses being built in their place. But, judging by how (un)successful the residents were in stopping that trend in the neighboring city, I don't expect much real action by me.

The neighborhood just to the north of me has a VERY active association. They even pay to have their own village offices and a couple part-time staff members (as well their own dedicated fire and police service). They are always hosting special events and neighborhood wide sales - they sell sidewalk luminaire for Halloween and Christmas, have a neighborhood Christmas tree, maintain their own park that is probably about two acres... However, after moving to the area and becoming acquainted with a few of those residents, they seem to speak of their residency there in terms that sound similar to one's membership in a cult... I guess you have to take the good with the bad.
    Last edited by WSU MUP Student; 19 Dec 2012 at 1:55 PM.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Took my car in for routine service yesterday. When I paid my bill, they asked me to fill out a 3 item customer service questionnaire and include an email address. Today they used my email address to send me a 3 item customer service questionnaire. Now that's some good planning.

bweet
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I'm staff support for my city's historic commission. If your group is anywhere near as insane, troublesome, lawbreaking, or seems to be smoking crack as mine is, I'm sorry.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Wasabi Peas!
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    Wasabi Peas!
    Love 'em! Wasabi Peas are to my nasal passages as Atomic Fireballs are to my tongue.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    I'm staff support for my city's historic commission. If your group is anywhere near as insane, troublesome, lawbreaking, or seems to be smoking crack as mine is, I'm sorry.
    post of the day

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Your right, it is odd. But you are also correct in that we are not a normal neighborhood. When I was association President for 4 of the six years, it was a bit frightening the amount of political pull that the board had with the City Council and the City. But then again, they fought the federal government and the city in the late 60’s and early 70’s and won. Thus changing historic preservation laws on a national scale.

Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    I am the staff person for one of my client communities, so it will be fun to sit in a chair where I can vote! The City staff person for my home city did call someone who was once on the commission who is also on the neighborhood board with me to check up on me before she (the city staff person) would even call me back! It is that kind of dedication that makes me excited to sit on this board because I don’t think there will be any crack smoking. Drunken debauchery, maybe, since there is also architects on the commission.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Anyone have a good or bad experience in buying the frozen discount beef and chicken out of the traveling sales guys? I had a local guy try to sell me $300 in meat for $189 but I don't have the room in my fridge but it could be affordable if we made space in the freezer. Any help would be appreciated.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    Anyone have a good or bad experience in buying the frozen discount beef and chicken out of the traveling sales guys? I had a local guy try to sell me $300 in meat for $189 but I don't have the room in my fridge but it could be affordable if we made space in the freezer. Any help would be appreciated.
    I bought a couple of boxes this summer for about that price. We got a good deal. The meat was high quality, especially the rib-eyes. The half-pound burgers were a bit too much meat per serving. We still have a bunch of meat left. Luckily we have a deep freeze in the basement. If the guy comes through town again I would probably buy from him again.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Apr 2003
    WONDERFUL.... first winter storm of the season is expected Thursday night into Friday. Calling for blizzard conditions!

Friday morning we leave for the UP. Looks like it will be a slow drive up... with an infant, preschooler, and a dog.

Registered
    May 2005
    I went from living 3 hours away from my parents and sister to 30 minutes, yet we are still not thought of when making plans, even when those plans involve things 10 minutes from our house and also involve my nephews and niece. I don't even know what to think anymore. They either think they are bothering us, or don't want to spend time with us. Whatever. I get more invitations from my ex brother-in-law to do things with the kids than my sister.
    I guess my sister just unfriended me on FB.

WONDERFUL.... first winter storm of the season is expected Thursday night into Friday. Calling for blizzard conditions!

Friday morning we leave for the UP. Looks like it will be a slow drive up... with an infant, preschooler, and a dog.
    May god have mercy on your soul.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    The organization's Las Parrandas just visited our office (see my FB page for a video clip) Sometimes I really love where I work.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I guess my sister just unfriended me on FB.
    It's funny how violent an action that has become...were you blocked too?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    May god have mercy on your soul.
    I keep getting updates on this storm (which now has a name) and it makes me wonder if it would be a better idea to leave on Saturday morning instead...

Registered
    Nov 2009

Just in time for the end of the world!
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Done with work-work until 2013!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Done with work-work until 2013!
    Then do some serious slacking! I tried to wait for you to hit 7K but I'm just so damned impetuous that I failed miserably.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    If the 20th were a Friday instead of Thursday, you could have a rockin' party. Thanks a lot, Mayans...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Closed thread
Page 257 of 374 FirstFirst ... 247 256 257 258 267 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 31 Dec 2011, 11:53 PM