Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 260 of 374 FirstFirst ... 250 259 260 261 270 ... LastLast
Results 6,476 to 6,500 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    Dance with me, Pickering! By George she's got it! She's really got it!
    Yeah, well we just exceeded my MADAORTSFM (you know, MAximum Daily Allowance of References to Songs From Musicals). Some of us, after all, are worried about maintaining our Man Card status.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    My little white kitty is perched on my shoulder.
    Normally that would be worth a thread split right there, but go ahead and tell us about it....
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I have a specific pen that I like to write with at work and I left it in my Jeep after lunch. I don't normally take it with me to lunch but did today because I had some paperwork I wanted to fill out. It is cold, windy, hailing, and pouring rain right now... however, I don't think that is going to deter me from going outside to go get it. The other pen choices I have here just don't feel right (or write?) in my hand.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I have a specific pen that I like to write with at work and I left it in my Jeep after lunch. I don't normally take it with me to lunch but did today because I had some paperwork I wanted to fill out. It is cold, windy, hailing, and pouring rain right now... however, I don't think that is going to deter me from going outside to go get it. The other pen choices I have here just don't feel right (or write?) in my hand.
    Nothing beats the feel of having the right pen in your hand (for some reason that sounded a bit ....off)

Registered
    Dec 2008
    The right pen makes all the difference. My favorite ball points are no longer around. They were called "Wide Bodies". Damn I loved those. And I hate ball points but those Wide Bodies were awesome.

Go! Get your pen! Prove your love! Follow your dream!
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Looks like we'll be pursuing adoption.
    Yeah! I think it's a great way to go.

My sister is adopted.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    I will be shocked if we make it to 7k, but pleasantly so!
    Hey, Negative Nancy.... lock it up!

I plan on having another conversation with myself on NYE. Yes we found ways to fill the gaps.... I think a one day bender is very reasonable... I don't know about 1k in a day... but I think we will be looking at 7.5k.... I am calling it now.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Pentel.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	5073

this is the pen I serioously lust for - it's a problem, really

and the mailing of beer post in the SS thread reminds me of the time we mailed a dirty diaper fourth class to a friend on the left coast way back when...

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post

I plan on having another conversation with myself on NYE. Yes we found ways to fill the gaps.... I think a one day bender is very reasonable... I don't know about 1k in a day... but I think we will be looking at 7.5k.... I am calling it now.
    They're beautiful pens, LP. I want an old-style felt tip like my mom used to keep in her purse. Preferably that bright blue. I scribbled in a lot of hymn books at church with those felt tips. You know those flip cartoons you can make? Yeah, that was me.

We're posting about pens, sharpies and our darkest desires....so clearly we're ready to follow you. Lead on, Cap.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Looks like we'll be pursuing adoption.
    Congratulations!

As of yesterday I now know four couples who adopted their first child and then had a happy accidental surprise a year or two afterward.

On a less exciting note, I will be working from home this afternoon and have somehow been coerced by my coworkers into making some Christmas cookies to bring in to work tomorrow, while I'm working from home. Unfortunately there's no Christmas cookie charge number I can bill to.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Nothing beats the feel of having the right pen in your hand (for some reason that sounded a bit ....off)
    The right pen makes all the difference. My favorite ball points are no longer around. They were called "Wide Bodies". Damn I loved those. And I hate ball points but those Wide Bodies were awesome.

Go! Get your pen! Prove your love! Follow your dream!
    You guys are seriously disturbed. Sure, I know you probably felt inadequate as a child when you saw the size of the pen that your father carried but you're adults now. Pens envy is treatable. Get help before you pass it on to another generation.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2005

those dern non FAC threads, they ruin everything!!!!

I am resisting the urge to post an f bomb in the Profanity in the Workplace thread but it's really f-in hard...

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    You guys are seriously disturbed. Sure, I know you probably felt inadequate as a child when you saw the size of the pen that your father carried but you're adults now. Pens envy is treatable. Get help before you pass it on to another generation.
    Well, sure! You probably have a gigantic "Marks-A-Lot" in your hand, and look down at guys like my with my fine-point Sharpie....I can't help it! I work with what I've got!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post

Speaking of that.. I wanted to remind everyone of the effort we undertook...

This:
    http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showt...l=1#post617996

A good number between 5-7pm...
    http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showt...l=1#post618089

Then a really amazing 154 posts from 7:18 till 8:54 for a whopping 96.25 posts per hour.
    http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showt...43036&page=316

Good times....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2005
    and I was a threadkill on the GSD application thread - the disease of the GSD must be stopped

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    terraplnr just reminded me - there are Christmas cookies upstairs. Must go get some.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Well, sure! You probably have a gigantic "Marks-A-Lot" in your hand, and look down at guys like my with my fine-point Sharpie....I can't help it! I work with what I've got!
    If that's all you've got, there is still hope. Work on your technique. Believe it or not, there are a lot of readers out there who prefer fine line control to heavy pen strokes.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    Anyone have a good or bad experience in buying the frozen discount beef and chicken out of the traveling sales guys? I had a local guy try to sell me $300 in meat for $189 but I don't have the room in my fridge but it could be affordable if we made space in the freezer. Any help would be appreciated.
    Ask about the USDA grading. I worked in a meat department of a grocery store during my high school and college days. I saw gradings as prime, choice, select, and standard come through the doors, there is a big difference from one to the other. Those aren't the only USDA grades, as there are lesser grades such as utility and canner. Prime is the best and has the most distributed marbling of fat. As beef prices increased, a lot of grocery stores went to lower grade beef to manage the price to the consumer. With that said be sure when comparing prices, make sure you are comparing same grade to same grade.

Also I grow up helping my grandfather on his cattle farm and I worked on a 250 head cattle farm as well so if you decided to go local, remember not all grass feed beef is the same. Typically grass feed beef grows slower so the marbling is better, however the flavor is based on what the cattle eat. We once a beef from a steer that was grown in a pasture that was mostly clover and feed clover hay in the winter that was some of the best beef I ever ate. I have known of a few people that have only ate grain feed beef who didn't like the flavor of grass feed. It's a personal preference. While I do like a good steak on occasion but I would rather have chicken if I have a choice, as chicken was served less frequent growing up.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    I'm having chicken and rice for lunch...
    I had chicken and rice for lunch too! Squeee!
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    really?
    When the challenge was first launched this year, we were just over 5k I think. We are already nearly there. I am shocked that we could pump out that many. Not shocked like I doubt we could do it. Shocked that we can and are about to.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Big Owl View post
    Also I grow up helping my grandfather on his cattle farm and I worked on a 250 head cattle farm as well so if you decided to go local, remember not all grass feed beef is the same. Typically grass feed beef grows slower so the marbling is better, however the flavor is based on what the cattle eat. We once a beef from a steer that was grown in a pasture that was mostly clover and feed clover hay in the winter that was some of the best beef I ever ate...
    My dad grows hay and has quite a few cattle farmers among his customers. I guess that explains why he always makes it a point to point out that his hay has a lot of clover in it compared to other local farmers and is able to charge a significant premium for the first cut of hay from the late spring/early summer which will have a lot more clover in it than the second cut.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    If that's all you've got, there is still hope. Work on your technique. Believe it or not, there are a lot of readers out there who prefer fine line control to heavy pen strokes.
    Don't patronize me. I know how they lie about technique and feelings and everything and secretly want a bad man like you with a Marks-A-Lot.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Judging by how often everyone posts here, I am guessing I am not the only person out there who doesn't always have enough to do at work.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    A steak on the grill is excellent.

I rarely order a steak from a restaurant nowadays. I've become disappointed in the flavor - and in one case a fairly higher end place.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I am the very model of a modern major general.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it, Maister!

Registered
    May 2005
    As a kid, I though the line went "Deck the halls with balls of holly". I still don't know what the hell a bough is.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Closed thread
Page 260 of 374 FirstFirst ... 250 259 260 261 270 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 01 Jan 2014, 12:58 AM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 01 Jan 2012, 12:53 AM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 01 Jan 2009, 12:43 AM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 7:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141