Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 27 of 374 FirstFirst ... 17 26 27 28 37 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Registered
    Aug 2002
    It's great to be asked to be part of a consultant team, but do all these proposals have to be due the same week?!?

Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    I enjoy the fact that we have peregrine falcons in our downtown but stumbling upon pigeon parts first thing in the morning is a bit unsettling.
    Wild Kingdom.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Just received an email from my boss letting me know that the NeighborWorks grant application I put together for real estate development was awarded plus an additional amount for my incorporating green building methods into an upcoming project. We also won a capital funding grant request from them that my boss put together. Our boss is super happy today!
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Okay, the men's room seldom smells like a bouquet of flowers.... but dayamn! One should see a doctor if it smells like a circus/carnival (you know, that unique odor combination of diesel, elephant manure, and the after effects of riding the tilt-o-whirl after downing 4 corn dogs and a grape slurpee) from doing one's business

Just had to share....
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2005
    My kid is taking swimming lessons. The amount of time spent waiting for your kids is amazing....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    Just received an email from my boss letting me know that the NeighborWorks grant application I put together for real estate development was awarded plus an additional amount for my incorporating green building methods into an upcoming project. We also won a capital funding grant request from them that my boss put together. Our boss is super happy today!
    Hooray!!! Great job. Now get back to slacking.

Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    My kid is taking swimming lessons. The amount of time spent waiting for your kids is amazing....
    It only gets better/worse. We have a saying at our house: "Hurry up and wait"
    One of the classic images of this is in the movie Despicable Me when you see all the mothers and Gru waiting during dance practice.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Hooray!!! Great job. Now get back to slacking.

It only gets better/worse. We have a saying at our house: "Hurry up and wait"
    One of the classic images of this is in the movie Despicable Me when you see all the mothers and Gru waiting during dance practice.
    I love Despicable Me. One of the few animated movies that I'll sit and watch the whole thing with my girls.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Aug 2005
    "Who's got the crack?" - Moldy Peaches

Registered
    May 2005
    Just started my first budget cycle at the new job. Should be interesting, considering the fairly poor financial position the city is in. But I'm looking forward to finding some efficiencies. How conservative of me.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Just started my first budget cycle at the new job. Should be interesting, considering the fairly poor financial position the city is in. But I'm looking forward to finding some efficiencies. How conservative of me.
    You can be like us and reduce the amount of dollars on supplies that you spend..or even better..cut travel..bodies..yanno it's all good
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Why does my car even have a headlight switch when the daytime running lights are always on? There is no difference in quality or strength between them or the headlights.
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by stroskey View post
    Why does my car even have a headlight switch when the daytime running lights are always on? There is no difference in quality or strength between them or the headlights.
    Does the switch illuminate the lights on the dash maybe? That's the only difference on mine since I too have daytime running lights.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Aug 2005

Split personality?

As I was preparing my lunch I thought to myself, "I can't remember the last time I ate meat. I've been eating mostly vegetarian lately." About a minute later I thought, "Man, I could really go for a pulled pork BBQ sandwich." And then I just realized I ate steak on Sunday.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I got to wondering, if Newt somehow won the presidency , what do we call his wife - The Third and Not Much of A Lady?
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Feb 2004
    New York, London, Paris, Munich everybody's talking 'bout pop music
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Does the switch illuminate the lights on the dash maybe? That's the only difference on mine since I too have daytime running lights.
    The switch should also turn on the tail lights...IIRC tail lights aren't on if you just have the daytime runners on.

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    I got to wondering, if Newt somehow won the presidency , what do we call his wife - The Third and Not Much of A Lady?
    by any chance have you see Conan lately? Andy richter has been impersonating Newt and Conan has been impersonating Newt's wife. Conan with a wig and some lipstick looks freakishly close to her.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    How about "possessed?" That woman has a creepy look in her eyes all the time. I was shocked to learn that she is essentially my age - 45! Seems like she's out of another era. Or possibly a parallel reality.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

As I was preparing my lunch I thought to myself, "I can't remember the last time I ate meat. I've been eating mostly vegetarian lately." About a minute later I thought, "Man, I could really go for a pulled pork BBQ sandwich." And then I just realized I ate steak on Sunday.
    Your other personality-Sybil-has been posting a lot here. It's been quite entertaining and don't worry about those pesky lawsuits.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    How about "possessed?" That woman has a creepy look in her eyes all the time. I was shocked to learn that she is essentially my age - 45! Seems like she's out of another era. Or possibly a parallel reality.
    Plastic Surgery Disasters?

Registered
    Aug 2009

Happy Groundhog's Day

I think the groundhog is off his rocker...6 more weeks of winter? I think winter was all of about 2 weeks this year. And he got it wrong last year...predicting a shorter winter. I think it snowed up until the first week of June!
    "I'm a boomerang, doesn't matter how you throw me
    I turn around and I'm back in the game
    Even better than the old me"

Registered
    Aug 2005
    feck. I'm already running a month behind in a project come June and I'm only in the planning stages.

Quote Originally posted by stroskey View post
    As others have mentioned, the DRLs also turn on the dash lights, the tail lights, and the running lights. On my 2010 C-RV, the DRLs are actually dimmer than my low beams, so I can see an obvious difference.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Aug 2005
    The proposed location of the dog park is on top of an old landfill. At tonight's community meeting I got beaten up over the concept of a dog park and the fact that dog pee and poop will infiltrate the ground and possibly contaminate the ground. Really?? The dog park is on top of an old LANDFILL, pee and poop is the least of their problem.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Susan G. Komen for the self-destruct

It's amusing to sit back and watch the spin and self-defensiveness, while pink-clad survivors line up to shift their donations to Planned Parenthood (by Friday they will have recovered the $600k and more).

Maybe the L.A.B. should ask Komen to defund them.

Whoops, almost forgot.

cure cure cure cure cure cure

Komen has been known to sue other medical fund-raising assns that use this word in their branding

Registered
    Oct 2009
    The proposed location of the dog park is on top of an old landfill. At tonight's community meeting I got beaten up over the concept of a dog park and the fact that dog pee and poop will infiltrate the ground and possibly contaminate the ground. Really?? The dog park is on top of an old LANDFILL, pee and poop is the least of their problem.
    Is this just the conceptual phase? I would imagine that someone could chime in about NPDES requirements and yada yada.
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Closed thread
Page 27 of 374 FirstFirst ... 17 26 27 28 37 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 31 Dec 2011, 11:53 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141