Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 278 of 374 FirstFirst ... 268 277 278 279 288 ... LastLast
Results 6,926 to 6,950 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    Good. Hopefully, we have a pair in University of California Golden Bears colors. [insert] California emoticon [/insert]
    So that is what Golden Bears do after the graduate. To get them off my lawn I just usually pay for the pizza.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Give it up for Otis everybody!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    My father took me, Hubby, and my sister out for Indian food tonight. Yum!!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Who's gonna start Random Thread 8? A remembrance for BUN is again in order.
    Not to worry....the mods have it worked out.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I had a random thought at 10:44 this evening that I should come post here.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    Give it up for Otis everybody!
    Anybody?

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Took the dogs out, and noticed all the snow in the back yard is gone! Most of the ice, too - just some areas left that didn't get sun earlier today. Now my yard's just a soggy mess.

Tomorrow hubby's going to take care of the bird nest that fell out of the tree sometime during the snowstorm. The winds were high enough to knock it out, and the dogs ignored it until the snow and ice melted. I think I'd rather be at work than deal with the nest
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I just finished a pretty good book and I always feel empty when the book is done - and the ending was sad

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I just finished a pretty good book and I always feel empty when the book is done - and the ending was sad
    But you got a good soak, too, right?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Think I'll stop in Cleveland on the way back on Saturday.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    That happened to me last night and I was depressed this morning b/c of it.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    Tomorrow hubby's going to take care of the bird nest that fell out of the tree sometime during the snowstorm. The winds were high enough to knock it out, and the dogs ignored it until the snow and ice melted. I think I'd rather be at work than deal with the nest
    What is the issue with the nest? Aren't they empty this time of year?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    But you got a good soak, too, right?
    Yes I had a great tub!!!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    New flannel sheets are mighty toasty!

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Gonna love it!

Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    Getting my first smart phone tomorrow.
    I never thought I would appreciate this device so much. Presently I am at a week-long event, and at meals it's open seating.
    "Where you from?"
    "Boone NC. It's about 6 hours away."

I pull up a map, and we can all admire the flashing blue arrow here, and then appreciate the mountain ranges crossed to get to Boone.

Last week we rehearsed an obscure carol, "There's a Star in the Sky." I pulled up the words and we had a better sense of the phrasing.

My phone's GPS updates regularly, unlike my Magellan. Helps when looking for something that might have moved.

I don't play games or download music or watch videos, but I take a lot of photos. Fiddle player asked did I know my mentor. Yes. Took his photo, uploaded to Facebook with a "hi" to Mentor, who replied hi back. Fiddler doesn't use FB, but tomorrow I'll pull it up and show him.

And just wait until your next waiting room visit. You'll really appreciate it then!

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Themeparks are usually over-rated
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Grumble grumble.

Pesky cat woke me up at 3:00am and I cannot get back to sleep. He is so damn spoiled. He throws temper tantrums if any door in the house is closed at any time. He won't want anything to do with that room until the door is closed, then it is as if the world were ending.

Cat stew.

Edit: How do you know when everyone's Birthday is?
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    Edit: How do you know when everyone's Birthday is?
    http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/calendar.php

If you are someone who spends way too much time on here, you can take a look and set up teasers (sticky notes on your monitor work well) so you can set up "HBD So-and-so!" threads and achieve much glory.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I got to work this morning.... I guess that is good....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    We have an invitation to a big party. It looks really fun. There will be other adult humanoids there, live music, games that we need partners for, alcohol, and is family friendly. The only problem is that everyone we know who is going who have children have spent the past few weeks complaining that their kids are sick and puking all over the house. We don't really want to take our newborn there and have liquored up germ-carriers or their germ-factory children handling/near SeaMonkey. He has just started sleeping through the night for regular 6 hour stretches. Don't want to derail that trend. What to do...
    If the other kids are sick, don't go. An infant can wind up hospitalized because of a stomach virus.

I came to work today after 2 sick days because of a meeting that I changed to today to allow for my vacation next week. I dragged myself in, and have little energy. I was reading the paper and saw that someone I know died. Now, I'm sick and sad, and trying not to cry at my desk. She spent her wholi life caring for people, and died while she was visiting her mom on Christmas.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    If the other kids are sick, don't go. An infant can wind up hospitalized because of a stomach virus.

I came to work today after 2 sick days because of a meeting that I changed to today to allow for my vacation next week. I dragged myself in, and have little energy. I was reading the paper and saw that someone I know died. Now, I'm sick and sad, and trying not to cry at my desk. She spent her wholi life caring for people, and died while she was visiting her mom on Christmas.
    I'm very sorry to hear of your friend's passing. Losing friends is sometimes as sad as losing family. My condolences.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2007
    My co-worker, who was here in the office with me yesterday, has come down with the flu...good thing I got my shot! I hope its the one I was vaccinated against.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    So that is what Golden Bears do after the graduate. To get them off my lawn I just usually pay for the pizza.
    how did I miss this awesome slam last night? that was a good one...

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I'm very sorry to hear of your friend's passing. Losing friends is sometimes as sad as losing family. My condolences.
    I have a good friend who has been in a coma from a freak car accident in October - it's incredibly hard to watch her in this state so yeah it does feel the same as family and if it's someone in your age group, it's weird

I am very sorry

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Sorry for your loss kms.

----

I would like to see us hit 7k this morning. That would give us a good foot on the weekend where we can get another 500. Then we will need 600 on Monday.

It all sounds very reasonable....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I really shouldn't go out on a school night... apparently I decided to sleep on the couch last night. Wife says she woke me up twice to get me to move to the bed, but I was a lost cause. Still got to work on time today... think I deserve to RJ this afternoon!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Closed thread
Page 278 of 374 FirstFirst ... 268 277 278 279 288 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 31 Dec 2011, 11:53 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141