Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 287 of 374 FirstFirst ... 277 286 287 288 297 ... LastLast
Results 7,151 to 7,175 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Hmmm, I wonder if I can surpass Maister and become Queen of all things random!
    I will be trying to pass otis so I can be the lucky #13
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Crap. Where did I put my glasses this morning?
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    I have an ancestry account and have traced back many branches of my family to colonial times here, wars, it was fun to do the research myself too. I traced back the BFs family to their immigration to the US, although he is a hundred percent Eastern European Jewish, so his family only got here around the turn of the century and they all changed their names,, so I haven't gotten as far with his.
    I am, too. Do you know for sure that they all changed their names?? Sometimes it's an urban legend. Actually, it amazes me how much of what I was told about my family turned out to be... well, certainly not outright lies, but not 100% accurate, either. I wish I had known what I know now while my grandparents were still alive.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I like snow for the first two days and then it just becomes a hindrance.
    I haven't even finished clearing off our deck and stairs from the last snowstorm, and it's snowing again.

Happy anniversary, dandy!

Speaking of brie - several posts ago - I made a baked brie for our holiday celebration. It was really good. No leftovers from that one.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    Remember that WV was part of VA until the 1860s.
    You're right, and it is a Mid Atlantic state. I looked it up. Sometimes, NC is classified as Mid Atlantic.

So, here is info on your sister city, which is 10 miles from where I live.

Greensburg, PA, is named for General Nathaniel Greene. Pennsylvania officials met at the inn in Greensburg to settle the Whiskey Rebellion. The tavern sign was a full-length portrait of Gen. Greene.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    I will be trying to pass otis so I can be the lucky #13
    And I'll be up in Portrland most of the day today. How will I stay ahead?

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    I am, too. Do you know for sure that they all changed their names?? Sometimes it's an urban legend. Actually, it amazes me how much of what I was told about my family turned out to be... well, certainly not outright lies, but not 100% accurate, either. I wish I had known what I know now while my grandparents were still alive.
    I have tooled around on ancestry before with the free searches they provide, but could never find who I was looking for so I haven't spent more time there. Maybe I should try again.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    And I'll be up in Portrland most of the day today. How will I stay ahead?
    It is going to be a delicate balancing act since I want to pass you, but not pass Dan if I want to be #13.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I have tooled around on ancestry before with the free searches they provide, but could never find who I was looking for so I haven't spent more time there. Maybe I should try again.
    I paid for a U.S.-only subscription, but Ancestry gave me a free worldwide-access subscription (for one year) for agreeing to be interviewed by a local newspaper on my experience.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Our library provides free access to their Ancestry.com account. It helped me find the name and former address of my great-great-grandfather.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Ta Daaaa!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2005
    We recently had pasta with brie and broccoli and it was quite tasty. It was a new recipe and may become s keeper.
    For those who asked: Creamy Rigatoni with Broccoli and Brie. We used goat cheese brie and omitted the pine nuts (because we didn't have any at hand) and it still came out yummy!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Them danged kids nowadays! Nothin' but a buncha whiny no-good crybabies I tell ya! Even their cartoons are nothin' but mindless drivel. Not like the erudite cartoons we used to watch when we was kids. They used to be fulla all kinda highfalutin' culture...like this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI9Nbt7oJG0

Kill the wabbit. NowthatswhatImtalkingabout!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I was going to bless you all with a photo from my wedding but Hubby seems to have misplaced the photo cd with the photo I wanted to use.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I was going to bless you all with a photo from my wedding but Hubby seems to have misplaced the photo cd with the photo I wanted to use.
    So just use a photo you don't particularly want to use instead.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I copied my Contacts to my new laptop... but now I have duplicates, and it seems to have included records I deleted years ago. WTF??

Good thing I'm not going anywhere today.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    So just use a photo you don't particularly want to use instead.
    Easy for you to say.

I do feel a bit guilty when I see how I looked on my wedding day and then think of what I normally look like. *adjusts jammie bottoms and over-sized sweatshirt*

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I copied my Contacts to my new laptop... but now I have duplicates, and it seems to have included records I deleted years ago. WTF??

Good thing I'm not going anywhere today.
    I believe the person(s) who told us that technology would make our lives easier was full of it!

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Them danged kids nowadays! Nothin' but a buncha whiny no-good crybabies I tell ya! Even their cartoons are nothin' but mindless drivel. Not like the erudite cartoons we used to watch when we was kids. They used to be fulla all kinda highfalutin' culture...like this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI9Nbt7oJG0

Kill the wabbit. NowthatswhatImtalkingabout!
    One of my favorites!!!!! wooohoooo!
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Contemplating going to buy a snow blower today.

Nervous that I will spend that money on a snow blower and then it will not snow the rest of the season.

Was trying to save up for a riding lawnmower since we have an acre of grass and I am planning to start cutting my neighbor's grass since they are old and decrepit. Though, will also likely need help with the snow.

Decisions, decisions.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I believe the person(s) who told us that technology would make our lives easier was full of it!
    I completely agree!!! especially since I've spent 2 days (and counting) setting up the new laptop. At some point I have to turn on the old laptop and deactivate a program so I can run it on the new one... it's just ridiculous.

Registered
    Mar 2007

Nervous that I will spend that money on a snow blower and then it will not snow the rest of the season.

Was trying to save up for a riding lawnmower since we have an acre of grass and I am planning to start cutting my neighbor's grass since they are old and decrepit. Though, will also likely need help with the snow.

Decisions, decisions.
    I like shoveling the snow by hand. It gives me some nice quiet time and it always helps me work up a sweet. As I was shoveling some particularly heavy snow this morning though, I was thinking of how nice a snowblower could be...
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Aug 2002

Decisions, decisions.
    Murphy's Law always bites you in the #&% .

You may want to consider a used riding lawnmower. We went that route - purchased from a reputable local company that also sells/services new riding mowers.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Murphy's Law always bites you in the #&% .

You may want to consider a used riding lawnmower. We went that route - purchased from a reputable local company that also sells/services new riding mowers.
    You could also kill two birds with one less expensive stone and get a used mower and a blade attachment to push the snow around. No need for a snowblower that way...
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Aug 2005
    We got a snowblower as a wedding present from my in-laws. It helped keep the snow away for two years but has been a godsend during the two storms we have had.

Closed thread
Page 287 of 374 FirstFirst ... 277 286 287 288 297 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 31 Dec 2011, 11:53 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141