Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 29 of 374 FirstFirst ... 19 28 29 30 39 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    This Bear took a day off from the ole' workplace. Plus, I am off Friday. Not quite the same as retirement but I will still take a 3-day workweek.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003

Cyburbia Hug

You know what I really like about Cyburbia? When somebody doesn't post for awhile the folks start to get worried. At first, jokes abound.....but at some point the regulars on Cyburbia start to worry. Just gotta say, you people are alright.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    I remember a quote from back in the day that said "The streets of Peking (Beijing) are paved in phlegm".
    So are most of the streets in Honolulu. It is truly disturbing.

Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    I have a bad case of the Mondays and I think it might turn into the Tuesdays as well.
    I am right there with you Dandy. Super slammed at work. Very tired. Wish I had a desk-hammock.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Today has been so great. Doesn't hurt when you wake up to morning either. Wait, what? (btw, I love this duck face emoticon)

In other news, trying to write meeting minutes from a meeting a month ago because the secretary wasn't there is pretty scary. Not really. I'll just add some filler here and there. Like rabble, rabble, rabble.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    May 2003

A Little Something For RJ

I have been enjoying all the YouTube vids that wander the freeways in all the bigger burgs in this here USA (and some in Canada, too). This one will probably bring back memories for RJ.

Bear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybrn9...layer_embedded
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I have a really bad case of the cranks this morning. hmmf
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Dec 2010
    There is a strong possibility that this will be one of the most stressful weeks of my entire life

...so far at least...
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Registered
    May 2003

Should Be Required Reading

Just finished reading a downright scary and very informative article in the latest issue of Rolling Stone. Titled "School of Hate" it details the antics of a school board in a large suburban school district (Anoka-Hennepin) regarding bullying and gays. Pressured by far right fundamentalist "church" groups the board adopted a policy that forced the teachers to turn a blind eye to bullying related to anything that was akin to LGBTQ. 11 suicides in the past few years, primarily middle-school kids, were the result. This is Michelle Bachman's district and she still supports the school district, even as they deny that their policy forced teachers to stay quiet when they should have intervened. What is especially harrowing is a mother's description of finding her teenage son hanging in his bedroom, claw marks on his cheeks and neck as he (probably) tried to get the noose off his neck. This should be required reading for every school board member in the USA.

I am 63 years old. I lived through the Civil Rights years and thought that bigotry, homophobia, were nearly gone from a society I thought was 'enlightened". This school board in "progressive" Minnesota caved to a pack of lunatic bible-thumpers who wouldn't know Jesus if he stepped into their homes. Fucking disgusting.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    Just finished reading a downright scary and very informative article in the latest issue of Rolling Stone. Titled "School of Hate" it details the antics of a school board in a large suburban school district (Anoka-Hennepin) regarding bullying and gays. Pressured by far right fundamentalist "church" groups the board adopted a policy that forced the teachers to turn a blind eye to bullying related to anything that was akin to LGBTQ. 11 suicides in the past few years, primarily middle-school kids, were the result. This is Michelle Bachman's district and she still supports the school district, even as they deny that their policy forced teachers to stay quiet when they should have intervened. What is especially harrowing is a mother's description of finding her teenage son hanging in his bedroom, claw marks on his cheeks and neck as he (probably) tried to get the noose off his neck. This should be required reading for every school board member in the USA.

I am 63 years old. I lived through the Civil Rights years and thought that bigotry, homophobia, were nearly gone from a society I thought was 'enlightened". This school board in "progressive" Minnesota caved to a pack of lunatic bible-thumpers who wouldn't know Jesus if he stepped into their homes. Fucking disgusting.

Bear
    Another case of politicians pandering to some small faction to be re-elected; and totally ignoring the populace they were elected to represent. It is a good thing Bachmann is out of the race; she would have been our first "whiny, monotone" president; and apparently, she's really stupid, too.

Registered
    Nov 2009

Bear
    That is really sad. I have a very deep, very powerful disdain for people who intentionally try to hurt others. There is absolutely no excuse for a policy that intentionally singles out LGBTQ kids and tries to use peer pressure, bullying, and violence to "make them straight". When I have children, bigots beware. I will sue the pants off any institution that enforces or even remotely suggests enforcing a policy that singles out any child in this fashion in an effort to make them "normal". It is truly time for the world to wake up. Not everyone is just like you people. Get over it.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Jul 2011
    Life in the private sector:

Week 1: No work.
    Week 2: Little work.
    Week 3: Too much work.
    Week 4: Crazy too much work.
    Week 5: Too much work
    Week 6: Little work.
    (repeat)

Currently I'm in somewhere in weeks 4/5.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

Registered
    May 2004

Bear
    I've had some encounters with people who are this fundamentalist or whatever you want to call it in their anti-gay agenda. My perception is that they truly believe in their hearts that what they are doing is right. I don't know how you combat that mindset. On a positive note, look at how much progress has been made in the last decade. That sort of mindset may always exist, but its control on society is quickly waning.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    I've had some encounters with people who are this fundamentalist or whatever you want to call it in their anti-gay agenda. My perception is that they truly believe in their hearts that what they are doing is right. I don't know how you combat that mindset. On a positive note, look at how much progress has been made in the last decade. That sort of mindset may always exist, but its control on society is quickly waning.
    I was not around for the civil rights movement, but I would imagine that many thought in their hearts that they were right about segregation as well. I think we will look back at these times the same way we do at the 60's. The old mindset of bigotry and hatred is dying off. Religious beliefs are changing based on realities of the world. And the younger generation will not accept a world where everyone isn't equal. I know many people think the youth of this world is troubled... and in many ways they are (we ALL get a prize)... but the one thing that they have right is civil rights.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    I've had some encounters with people who are this fundamentalist or whatever you want to call it in their anti-gay agenda. My perception is that they truly believe in their hearts that what they are doing is right.
    I truly believe that a number of those fundies are closet homosexuals who hate themselves for their "urges" and therefore hate anyone else like that.

Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    I truly believe that a number of those fundies are closet homosexuals who hate themselves for their "urges" and therefore hate anyone else like that.
    As a fundie (evangelical) myself, I can tell you that isn't the case at all. They are closeted gays with self-hatred issues at all. Fundies are essentially good family types. They really want was is best for others and contribute a great deal to the society as a whole. They are was was typical for me growing up in the 70's. The problem is that society has changed a lot since then. In some ways for the better, in some ways for the worse.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Powerball Jackpot is 250, so

would you buy a ticket for yourself ? yes I did

and/or

be part of an office pool ? yes I did
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    As a fundie (evangelical) myself.....
    Perhaps fundamentalism comes in different stripes? I had always understood fundamentalists are those who believe in a literal interpretation of religous texts (you know how the earth is only 10,000 years old, the earth stood still, and that things like Lev. 15:19-24; Exodus 21:7; Lev. 25:44; Lev. 19:27; Exodus 35:2 etc. should be taken literally/seriously. Is this the case with you (I havent gotten that impression)? What do you understand the term fundamentalism to be?
    Last edited by Maister; 07 Feb 2012 at 11:16 AM.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    As a fundie (evangelical) myself, I can tell you that isn't the case at all. They are closeted gays with self-hatred issues at all. Fundies are essentially good family types. They really want was is best for others and contribute a great deal to the society as a whole. They are was was typical for me growing up in the 70's. The problem is that society has changed a lot since then. In some ways for the better, in some ways for the worse.

Sorry, WYP, I was generalizing and stereotyping. But I do believe that often those who are most vocally opposed to homosexuality have their own issues with it rather than just trying to help other out of the "goodness of their heart".

Registered
    Feb 2004
    You know how some people say they have a "sweet tooth"? I think I must have a "salt tooth". I don't know why it is but once I start eating salty treats - peanuts, popcorn, chips, crackers, etc. I just can't stop. It's like my body suffers from a sodium deficiency and always craves more more more!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Perhaps fundamentalism comes in different stripes? I had always understood fundamentalists are those who believe in a literal interpretation of religous texts (you know how the earth is only 10,000 years old, the earth stood still, and that things like Lev. 15:19-24; Exodus 21:7; Lev. 25:44; Lev. 19:27; Exodus 35:2 etc. should be taken literally/seriously. Is this the case with you (I havent gotten that impression)? What do you understand the term fundamentalism to be?
    Back when I came to faith in the mid 80's, there wasn't the term evangelical-it was either fundamentalist or liberal in the Christian community, with the UU's being an example of liberal. Baptist, where considered fundalmentalist because they took a more literal interpretation of the Bible. To me, and I try not to judge, fundies would be the Amish, Menonites, German Baptists, etc who take certain passages to the extreme. However, I am a straight up, twice on Sunday church goer. I also abstain from certain practices that most people don't.-example drinking alcohol. Some of this is because I really don't like the taste of it-I really can't stand the smell and taste of beer.

I tend not be openly judgemental simply because it's none of business. I've done enough stupid things that I'm in no position to conndemn another. I know I'm capable of doing stupid stuff again and probably will. Finally, the Word tells us judge not, least we be judged. We all live by the mercy and grace of God. That we cannot ask forgiveness of our sins, which are many, and not forgive someone else. Finally, only God is capable of judging His creation. He has the knowledge and the lack of bias that I don't.

I try to live my life according to what I think the Word tells us how to live it. Do I always do it, no. I'm a flawed human being. But it doesn't mean I can't and shouldn't try. Does this make me a fundie, probably.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Nov 2009

BREAKING NEWS!

The Ninth Circuit Court has just ruled Prop 8 Unconstitutional!!!!

Read more at Lambda Legal's website.

What a beautiful day!

Watch the Live Webcast here.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post

What a beautiful day!

Now it goes to the SCOTUS where politics will trump reason. It all hinges on that one swing vote...
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Tarf View post
    Now it goes to the SCOTUS where politics will trump reason. It all hinges on that one swing vote...
    There is still another appeal left prior to SCOTUS. But is is reasonable to believe that it will be upheld again upon appeal and therefore get sent to the Supremes. I seriously doubt that they will have much flexibility to keep such a law even with how partisan they are. I am going to guess that at worst it gets a 6-3 (Alito, Scalia, Roberts against)but could see a 9-0 vote in favor of it being unconstitutional.

When the courts look at it exclusively from the equal protections clause, it is pretty clear. It should be interesting though.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2004
    My fortune from a fortune cookie says "You will have a close encounter of the surprising kind".

I'm actually a little worried.

What a beautiful day!

Oh noes! My marriage is threatened!!!
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    May 2005

What a beautiful day!

Hazzah! A beautiful day, indeed. I liked the quote "The tide is not turning; it has turned"
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Closed thread
Page 29 of 374 FirstFirst ... 19 28 29 30 39 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 31 Dec 2011, 11:53 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM