Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 3 of 374 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    The annual garden thread doesn't usually kick off until mid-January, but I must confess I'm getting bit by the garden bug earlier and harder than usual this year, perhaps it's because the seed companies seem to be mailing out their catalogues earlier than normal this year, or maybe because I lost out on a significant amount of gardening last year due to my injuries.

I also liked it one year when someone else (I forget who it was) started the annual garden thread (hint hint)

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    The annual garden thread doesn't usually kick off until mid-January, but I must confess I'm getting bit by the garden bug earlier and harder than usual this year, perhaps it's because the seed companies seem to be mailing out their catalogues earlier than normal this year, or maybe because I lost out on a significant amount of gardening last year due to my injuries.

I also liked it one year when someone else (I forget who it was) started the annual garden thread (hint hint)

Pour vous

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I hear you there. Something about getting home from the UP and looking outside at the back yard made me want to dive into deciding what I want to plant where and checking my seed stock. I have some awesome heirloom seeds if you are interested.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Russian motorways, especially the Moscow Ring Road, are far, far worse than that. There, there are rows of advertising signs lining the median, as well as the shoulder areas just outside of the highway's guardrails and clear recovery zones. And that is all added to Moscow's already legendary traffic congestion - it is at a level to which no other city comes close.

Mike

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Good Morning everyone. Haven't heard from y'all since last year. Everybody doing okay? Oh and congrats on the marvelous achievement of the round numbers!

...and ZG, you asked " please translate this one: Unibroue La Fin Du Monde "
    Unibroue is the brewery name. La Fin Du Monde is "End of the World" This is a Canadian beer that is very light and crisp, almost like a cross between a hefeweizen and a pilsner.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Ever spend 2 hours in a staff meeting covering issues that could have been covered in about 15 minutes? It's times like these that convince me that there truly are folks out there who just love the sound of their own voice.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Dec 2010
    Happy New Years Cyburbia!!

Had the day off yesterday, but like a fool I absent-mindedly woke up/got dressed/went to work to see an empty parking lot

Oh well, I turned that frustration into productivity and cleaned out and rearranged every single object in my place. Sometimes I wonder if I have some sort of mild form of OCD, I literally spent 5 minutes placing my TV remotes and coffee table books in different positions on my coffee table until I was satisfied.
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I kind of felt like the last human being on earth (or at least at work) during the holidays, so I am very glad to be hearing from people today.

I don't mind receiving e-mails either.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Och, lassie! I love your French accent!

Registered
    May 2004
    Hurray!!!
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    *les swoon*

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Packing my office this week. I am done here on Friday and start the new job next Monday.
    Currently I drive 25 miles east. The new job will be 70 miles south of the city I live in now. I will be doing the same type of work. I will drive the first few weeks. We have a contract on a house. We should get possession later this month. We won't market the one we are in until probably March. So we should be able to get alot of stuff moved between Jan and Mar.
    I am so ready for the change.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Queen B View post
    Packing my office this week. I am done here on Friday and start the new job next Monday.
    Currently I drive 25 miles east. The new job will be 70 miles south of the city I live in now. I will be doing the same type of work. I will drive the first few weeks. We have a contract on a house. We should get possession later this month. We won't market the one we are in until probably March. So we should be able to get alot of stuff moved between Jan and Mar.
    I am so ready for the change.
    Good luck, hope it goes great

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries

You can't have a French accent without a whole lot of French tongue.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    You can't have a French accent without a whole lot of French tongue.
    Wait a minute. I'll be fine. I just need to sit down for a minute. My heart was really racing there. Maybe some water would be good. Dandy, you OK?

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Coming to work after taking as much time off as I did over the holidays, is hard. Cold engine. I hate cold engines.
    seems like you need to provide more routine maintenance to avoid those hard starts. Make sure you use plenty of alcohol, ahem.. I mean antifreeze, and make sure you have someone rev your engine at least once every couple days.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Would you use/wear this - Chicken Poop™ Lip Junk
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I had an amazingly crappy day today, and that is putting it mildly. I won't go into detail, but suffice it to say, if I have to continue doing historic preservation much longer (specifically past the next month), I will be more likely to turn in my notice than to continue on.

I am that unhappy.

But, after coming home today, I read through Cyburbia's posts, and now I feel much better. This place always brings a smile to my face, and makes the day more fun.

Thank you, all, for keeping me sane!!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post

You know you have a winning hygiene product when you have to use the tag line, "CONTAINS NO POOP." (and yes, in this case at least, all caps are essential. )
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Wait a minute. I'll be fine. I just need to sit down for a minute. My heart was really racing there. Maybe some water would be good. Dandy, you OK?
    My French tongue is tied.

In the Patriotic Uproar that followed whatever it was, was French Kissing renamed Freedom Kissing?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    ...and ZG, you asked " please translate this one: Unibroue La Fin Du Monde "
    Unibroue is the brewery name. La Fin Du Monde is "End of the World" This is a Canadian beer that is very light and crisp, almost like a cross between a hefeweizen and a pilsner.
    Well, thanks,kinda... I get the pilsner but not the "hefeweizen". Maybe RJ can explain it when he wakes up tomorrow. I thought maybe the Fin thing was Buffett, like "Fins to the left, fins to the right"....

Last night I had to get the kid to run the pomegranate from the far end of the pool deck to the patio by the door to the house and cover it with beach towels. Tonite,after predictions went from"freeze" to "hard freeze down to 22 d for up to 14 hrs",he had to haul it through the house and into the garage.Hope it lives. I can't keep it in the house because the boy cat eats anything with leaves, and I can't afford another $1000 emergency plant-eating vet bill.

We had a nice spicy chili tonite, with cheddar-garlic-green onion muffins. Great for a cold evening.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Late night BZA meetings that should last 30 minutes and end up lasting 2.5 hours....are not my favorite.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2005
    1F on the way into work. <insert frozen smilie>

Registered
    Aug 2002
    This headline caused me to do a double-take this morning:

Bono elected new chairman of --------- County Legislature

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    I have seen this for sale. It is suppose to be awesome stuff. Thus the reason they can get by with such a crazy name. Yes I would use it.
    But perhaps all the French tongue people need it more...
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Closed thread
Page 3 of 374 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 31 Dec 2011, 11:53 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM