Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 30 of 374 FirstFirst ... 20 29 30 31 40 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Oh noes! My marriage is threatened!!!
    This, unfortunately, is the crux of the issue. It is legal to discrimiate if there is a compelling state need. The question will be whether the conservative majority on the court can come up with a reasonably defensible argument that we need to discriminate against gays and lesbians in order to protect, for example, imaplanner's marriage. Fortunately, decisions saying racial discrimination was OK have been thoroughly discredited, but remember the internment of Americans of Japanese descent during WWII, an action that the court upheld. That wasn't all that long ago. I haven't read the 9th Circuit's opinion, but I hope it is a strong one.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    This, unfortunately, is the crux of the issue. It is legal to discrimiate if there is a compelling state need. The question will be whether the conservative majority on the court can come up with a reasonably defensible argument that we need to discriminate against gays and lesbians in order to protect, for example, imaplanner's marriage. Fortunately, decisions saying racial discrimination was OK have been thoroughly discredited, but remember the internment of Americans of Japanese descent during WWII, an action that the court upheld. That wasn't all that long ago. I haven't read the 9th Circuit's opinion, but I hope it is a strong one.
    Well, I mean, its just that...because, well...they're gonna...with the conversion of the straights and...it just shouldn't...with their lifestyle...

ok, I got nothin'

Yeah, its hard to see a real, legally defensible argument here. "I just don't like it" or "the Bible says..." doesn't really hold up in the courts. Fortunately.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    The Ninth Circuit Court has just ruled Prop 8 Unconstitutional!!!!

Read more at Lambda Legal's website.

What a beautiful day!

Watch the Live Webcast here.
    I hope our Gov. Krispy Kreme will take notice and abandon ship on putting same sex marriage to the vote in NJ. The legislature is in the process of crafting a bill that stands a good chance of passing. Unfortunately, Krispy Kreme has said that he would veto it if it made it to his desk. This after nominating an openly gay man to the NJ Supreme Court.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Promising decision and direction, but a long road still to travel. From what I can capture from the decision, the 9th Circuit 3-panel decision is focused solely on California's Prop 8. It won't even apply District-wide. As far as the decision reaching the US Supreme Court, don't count on it. In fact, I'd be surprised if the 11 judge panel will consider the case. While I hope I'm wrong, this issue will not yet appear ripe in the eyes of the higher Courts. There is more work to accomplish.

Sorry.

EDIT: Link to the Wiki 9th Circuit story. 29 appellate judges.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_..._Ninth_Circuit

EDIT 2: Another link to the 9th

http://www.ce9.uscourts.gov/ninthcir...ct_judges.html
    Last edited by Richmond Jake; 07 Feb 2012 at 9:12 PM.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    We have two slowly leaking faucets and one majorly leaking one. RJ was trying to take my bathroom faucet apart; requires an allen wrench, but it wouldn't work; I went to Lowe's today and they recommended a spray to combat corrosion since the faucet is 13 yrs or so old. It didn't work. They said, well, it could be stripped, weird the tools people will try to force something to work. Anyway, why do manufacturers make taking apart a freaking faucet so difficult, trying to insert an allen wrench in an awkward place? I'm trying to bend over and see in this tiny hole and get a flashlight shining in there; and I'm short, it's worse for "normal" people. It used to be it was just a screwdriver in an accessible place. I'm just pissed they make it so difficult.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    So I spent my measly paycheck on a 46" LCD tv last week and now the damn thing won't recognize my inputs Second time in a week it's done this, so I've decided to take the damn thing back, question is: exchange for the same model or go with another brand (FWIW it's a Vizio)?

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    We have two slowly leaking faucets and one majorly leaking one. RJ was trying to take my bathroom faucet apart; requires an allen wrench, but it wouldn't work; I went to Lowe's today and they recommended a spray to combat corrosion since the faucet is 13 yrs or so old. It didn't work. They said, well, it could be stripped, weird the tools people will try to force something to work. Anyway, why do manufacturers make taking apart a freaking faucet so difficult, trying to insert an allen wrench in an awkward place? I'm trying to bend over and see in this tiny hole and get a flashlight shining in there; and I'm short, it's worse for "normal" people. It used to be it was just a screwdriver in an accessible place. I'm just pissed they make it so difficult.
    Planned obsolescence. It used to be limited to computers and other electronics, but you see it with all sorts of products now.

We bought a new kitchen faucet when we replaced our countertop and sink in 2002 or so. Within just a few years, the faucet wasn't working right... some interior thing-a-ma-bob kept corroding. After numerous temporary fixes, we finally ended up replacing the entire thing. The original faucet, from a brand-name manufacturer, was under a lifetime warranty, but who saves the box it came in, especially after five years?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Made overnight oats (not in a crockpot) for breakfast. Not too bad. I think next time I will add in more fruit and some chia seeds or something.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I treated myself to a bacon and spinach souffle from Panera today. You know what, I deserve it. Long day ahead.....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    So I spent my measly paycheck on a 46" LCD tv last week and now the damn thing won't recognize my inputs Second time in a week it's done this, so I've decided to take the damn thing back, question is: exchange for the same model or go with another brand (FWIW it's a Vizio)?
    Don't know anything good or bad about Vizio, but I've had a 46" Samsung LCD for about three years now with no issues.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Why would someone get a tattoo of a cupcake sitting on a toilet?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Just asking for a friend, right ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Just asking for a friend, right ?
    I'm not sure any of my friends would have such a tattoo.

If anyone has an extra $7,000 sitting around I would be happy to use it to visit the baby seals in Canada.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I guess it wouold be better than a tattoo of the remains of a cupcake in the toilet.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    Don't know anything good or bad about Vizio, but I've had a 46" Samsung LCD for about three years now with no issues.
    Thanks Bubba. The TV I replaced was a 32" Panasonic that I was super happy with, so I'm leaning toward another Panasonic, but if I can't find one in my price range I'll check out Samsungs. I chose the Vizio since it was relatively inexpensive and American-made (or so I was told).

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    Thanks Bubba. The TV I replaced was a 32" Panasonic that I was super happy with, so I'm leaning toward another Panasonic, but if I can't find one in my price range I'll check out Samsungs. I chose the Vizio since it was relatively inexpensive and American-made (or so I was told).
    Vizio is based out of California, but made in Korea. I have enjoyed my LG. I haven't had any issues with it. LG actually makes many of the Vizio screens. They also have great customer report scores. We found the best deal on the highest rated TV we could afford. Turned out to be an LG. Been happy for the last 2 years.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    If anyone has an extra $7,000 sitting around I would be happy to use it to visit the baby seals in Canada.
    Sorry, no money, but I do have a club you can borrow

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Hey I was drunk. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Like going to that donkey show in Tijuana.

Live and learn.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Why does it seem like everyone I know is rich?
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by stroskey View post
    Why does it seem like everyone I know is rich?
    Because everyone you hang out with is a liar?

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Because everyone you hang out with is a liar?
    I don't know. Pictures from frequent foreign trips and building new houses when they were 25 makes me think they are. Well, probably their parents.
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Vizio is based out of California, but made in Korea. I have enjoyed my LG. I haven't had any issues with it. LG actually makes many of the Vizio screens. They also have great customer report scores. We found the best deal on the highest rated TV we could afford. Turned out to be an LG. Been happy for the last 2 years.
    'LG' is the corporate successor of Zenith.

I'm simply amazed at the extent to which the bottom has dropped out of the market for flat-screen TVs over the past year or two - a few weeks ago a local Big-Box™ was advertising 60 quote flat-screens for under $1K (those were $5K only three-four years ago).

WOW!

Mike

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by stroskey View post
    I don't know. Pictures from frequent foreign trips and building new houses when they were 25 makes me think they are. Well, probably their parents.
    That or they are in debt up to their eye balls.

Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    Same here, and have been very happy with it.

Registered
    May 2005
    This short sale is killiing me. The seller's bank wants $9,000 more than what our lender appraised the house at. Negotiations have been ongoing for a week now. Our closing date is Friday, which I doubt is going to happen. But our rate is locked in through February 27 so that's good. We're getting very, very frustated. It's been 3 months since the original purchase agreement was signed. We'd walk away from the deal right now, but we really, really like the house.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Aug 2009
    Made overnight oats (not in a crockpot) for breakfast. Not too bad. I think next time I will add in more fruit and some chia seeds or something.
    I've made those before. I usually add chia seeds, cinnamon, vanilla, a mashed banana, frozen blueberries, and some almond milk. Pretty tasty.
    "I'm a boomerang, doesn't matter how you throw me
    I turn around and I'm back in the game
    Even better than the old me"

Closed thread
Page 30 of 374 FirstFirst ... 20 29 30 31 40 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 31 Dec 2011, 11:53 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM