Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 301 of 374 FirstFirst ... 291 300 301 302 311 ... LastLast
Results 7,501 to 7,525 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Registered
    Jun 2005
    sorry about the grammar in my previous post- obviously under the influence....
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Soooooooo quiet at work.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Me too. I happen to be carrying over the MAX. Boom!
    I'm not carrying over the max because we started our comp plan 2 months ago, but I have a significant lead on the next year, by the time the 2014 national conference in ATL rolls around I should be done

PS-If I play my cards right, I may get to go to my first national conference in 2014. Its so close to us (7 hour drive or cheap plane ticket!)
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    When I was a little girl, my mom used to give us oatmeal for breakfast because it would 'stick' to our stomachs all morning. It's a power breakfast food, one built for endurance events.
    We'll have to exchange old family oatmeal recipes, because my mom said that her oatmeal would 'stick' to our ribs.

She said that about swallowed gum, too, and that conjured up some strange images.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    dandy_warhol needs 6 posts to take the lead from maister and to post even more frequently to stay in the lead.

Mud Princess needs 15 posts to go over 200 posts

She can do it.
    A challenge! Considering I have 3 or 4 pages of unread Randoms to which I can respond, I just might do it.

That's one.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    I just toss them after 15 years.
    I threw out one of my Dad's pillows after he went into a nursing home. He had it for at least 40 years.

Happy New Year, Natski!
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    What a way to start the new year - first thing wednesday morning - go for a root canal.
    Another day off - sick time - so I was thinking about RJing thursday and friday - that way I will have been away from work for 3 weeks.
    What do you think ?
    Why not? It's not worth going in to work for just two days.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    You get to call out to the crowd and get them excited. Just like contra calling, right?
    Oh yeah, right.

During my years in a Cajun & Zydeco band, I often added the "aiiieee!" stuff. And "somebody scream!" Come to think of it, I used to do that at contras too, will have to add it back in.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Starbucks Christmas Blend Coffee is half price. US$7 a pound.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    We'll have to exchange old family oatmeal recipes, because my mom said that her oatmeal would 'stick' to our ribs.
    My mom was not much of a cook, the old family recipe is pack of quaker instant oakmeal, maple brown sugar of course!
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    I made some home made gifts for Christmas this year. There were home canned preserves and jams from summer time.
    How do you canned them? Boiling water? What kind, cherry?
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by natski View post
    Which means you made it to 2013 and are still rocking it!!!
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jan 2005
    My mom was not much of a cook, the old family recipe is pack of quaker instant oakmeal, maple brown sugar of course!
    Which is the best kind.... it you are going to go oatmeal at least. I support cream of wheat with a ton of brown sugar.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Starbucks Christmas Blend Coffee is half price. US$7 a pound.
    I would say it is my second favorite Christmas Blend. My favorite is called Winter Wonderland. Only available online though....

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by dw914er View post
    Sounds like a great reason to have wine
    We enjoyed an excellent Cabernet Sauvignon from Washington State with dinner last night. A red wine definitely did not go with what we were eating - Angel Hair Pasta with Ricotta Cheese, Mushrooms, and Spinach - but I promised my DH the "wine police" would not be knocking at our door.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I'm not carrying over the max because we started our comp plan 2 months ago, but I have a significant lead on the next year, by the time the 2014 national conference in ATL rolls around I should be done

PS-If I play my cards right, I may get to go to my first national conference in 2014. Its so close to us (7 hour drive or cheap plane ticket!)
    Awesome. If I am still at this place then, I will surely be there! Stanfest 2014! A-T-L style.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Every couple of weeks. I just jam a couple in the washer, and then toss them in the dryer.
    I didn't know you could put pillows in the washing machine...

My DH destroys his pillows. I have to replace them every few years.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I like oatmeal with apple butter.

I just might go out and buy some new pillows. Question which is the most comfortable ?

we need 30+ posts per hour to make it to 8,000.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    We enjoyed an excellent Cabernet Sauvignon from Washington State with dinner last night. A red wine definitely did not go with what we were eating - Angel Hair Pasta with Ricotta Cheese, Mushrooms, and Spinach - but I promised my DH the "wine police" would not be knocking at our door.
    All your red will be confiscated and you will be given a nice white with some grassy notes.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    One of my sisters is notorious for not being hospitable. My other sister and I would beg our mom to talk to her about it, but Mom doesn't get involved. Part of courtesy and manners is about how one reacts to poor hospitality, and we never made a stink about it, but we did laugh about our sister's idea of hospitality, and I even kept a list of my sister's inhospitality for a while.

She's taken it to another level, and no longer has people as guests.

Her most frequent offense involved beverages. She'd offer a cold drink, and hand someone a juice glass half full of whatever she poured. She did that to my mom once, telling her that she could always have more. My mom replied that she'd like more now, and proceeded to fill her glass the rest of the way.

My sister's a "glass half empty" kind of person if you ask me.

I think that my sister's goal is to end a party and still have half of whatever cake she served. Hence, a serving a cake is about the size of an ice cube, accompanied with a tablespoon of ice cream.

Do any of you have relatives or friends who just don't "get" hospitality?

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by natski View post
    No apology necessary. You get a free pass if you are outside the United States or Canada.

Hoping the big guy tells us to RJ around 2:00 today. Especially since there's likely to be ice/freezing rain this p.m.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Aug 2002
    All your red will be confiscated and you will be given a nice white with some grassy notes.
    A Chardonnay would have been perfect, but it was out of stock. Time to refill the wine fridge!

OK, 9 more posts to go to make 200...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    How do you canned them? Boiling water? What kind, cherry?
    I used a boiling water bath, which enough for jams and jellies. I made cherry preserves, cherry pecan preserves, peach butter, peach butter with Bourbon (no one took that) and pear ginger butter. The pear ginger butter is a pale shade of pink.

I wanted to make orange marmalade, but decided to give myself a break. I can make some later.

I'd like to preserve lemon curd, but am a little scared of what could happen because of the eggs in it.

Making jam and jelly is expensive if you have to buy fruit. The pears came from a friend who was cleaning windfall pears from her mother's lawn.

Closed thread
Page 301 of 374 FirstFirst ... 291 300 301 302 311 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 31 Dec 2011, 11:53 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141