Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 32 of 374 FirstFirst ... 22 31 32 33 42 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    Hipsters roll their own because it's cheaper than buying packs, but they'll tell you it's because they want a purer/more authentic smoke. Or maybe some self-righteous nonsense about "supporting organic tobacco growers".
    I have been seeing that around here a lot more over the past year and even though I do not smoke (and never will), I do believe that I can safely say that it is nearly 100% due to the way that the tobacco tax is now structured - the rate for normal pre-made cigarettes is so high now that it is that worth it to the addicts.

Mike

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Who actually rolls their own (tobacco) cigarettes this day and age? 20-something hipsters and 80-something retired sea captains?
    Don't forget an authentic cowboy with a battered Stetson, Skoal ring in the back pocket of his jeans and boots worn at the heels. Sitting in a clanky red pick-em-up truck with a cattle dog on the seat next to him. It might be Marlboro Country, but who can afford ready-mades.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Oct 2009
    A similar offender to Raf's rant: Psych. They claim to be in Santa Barbara, but it's filmed in Canada!!!!
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Or the old show 'Pickett Fences', set in a fictional place that very closely coincides with Calumet County, Wisconsin. None of the scenery showed in the outdoor scenes looked anything like the rolling hill scenery of most of Calumet County (my home town of Appleton, WI is located partially in Calumet County) - it looked like Central Valley area of California.

Mike

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Tarf View post
    Done.
    Ha! well done. Although it's not really a cupcake on a toilet, it looks like maybe the little guy kind of fell in and might be stuck and needs some assistance.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    I hate it when shows really try to pass of locations as somewhere else.
    I just "love" the mountains of Louisiana and Kansas, as seen on "Gunsmoke" and other assorted television shows and movies.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    I just "love" the mountains of Louisiana and Kansas, as seen on "Gunsmoke" and other assorted television shows and movies.
    I'm still looking for those mountains that are just a horse ride out of Dodge City.

Registered
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Ha! well done. Although it's not really a cupcake on a toilet, it looks like maybe the little guy kind of fell in and might be stuck and needs some assistance.
    Definitely wouldn't get someone through to the next round on Ink Masters
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    I hate it when shows really try to pass of locations as somewhere else.
    NM has a bunch of incentives for filming in the state, so there have been a lot of productions here over the past 5 years or so. Its pretty amusing to watch a movie or TV show that is obviously filmed here try and pass as another location. They shot some movie here a few years ago with Reese Witherspoon, I think, that was supposed to be somewhere like Nebraska or Kansas and another that was set in Pittsburgh.We're definitely not either of those places. They used a good amount of CGI to place additional buildings in some key shots evidently.

I mind it less in TV shows, though. The Office is definitely filmed in CA and not Scranton (notice any time its supposed to be winter that you can clearly see green trees in the background) but I don't care. That's a dang funny show no matter where its filmed.

One of my favorites, Breaking Bad, IS filmed here (a friend's house is Jessie's parents'-cum-his) and I admit they do a very good job capturing some of the local essence. I have a few friends who work on that show (one is an architect-turned-set-designer. One of the things you can do as an out of work architect). In Plain Sight is also filmed here, but I've only watched the pilot. But the lead's daughters go to school with my kids and I've been to their house. Her husband was the director of Brothers and Sisters - which I hated - but it was cancelled for this season. Nice people, though. Pretty understated and low key.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    May 2004
    I think maybe sometime soon I'll dress up nice and get a friend to come with me and knock on people's doors to tell them all about the good word of athiesim.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    May 2005
    I think maybe sometime soon I'll dress up nice and get a friend to come with me and knock on people's doors to tell them all about the good word of athiesim.
    Ah, the zeal of the unbelievers! What with their trying to convince me to think for myself. Its all so…self-empowering.

Come by my place and we’ll have coffee. I might be willing to commit now that my life has no meaning (just kidding). While I’ve never said it out loud, I think I might be an atheist. But don’t try and get me to sign up for any clubs – I’m also not a joiner…
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    Ah, the zeal of the unbelievers! What with their trying to convince me to think for myself. Its all so…self-empowering.

Come by my place and we’ll have coffee. I might be willing to commit now that my life has no meaning (just kidding). While I’ve never said it out loud, I think I might be an atheist. But don’t try and get me to sign up for any clubs – I’m also not a joiner…

I'm with Wahday. I don't believe in organized non-religion.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I'd go with you and enjoy it, just not where we live, inciting the wrath of the Baptists. Southern Baptists are some scary people.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I have cold toes. *shiver*

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    SAW

Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Simple solution - socks !
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    One of my favorites, Breaking Bad, IS filmed here (a friend's house is Jessie's parents'-cum-his) and I admit they do a very good job capturing some of the local essence. I have a few friends who work on that show (one is an architect-turned-set-designer.
    Nice! Did the use the interior for the shots of the bathtub scene in the first season?

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Watching TLC and "My 600 lb life". So 350-400 lb parents are surprised when their kid weighs 600 lbs.? Sad story tonight, the son was pretty much in a coma for two years with weight complications; but what, the parents don't have a clue how he got there? Nope. And neither o fthe parents saw any need to eat well and lose weight. Imagine the crap they fed him.
    u
    It's food addiction. Just as powerful as drug addiction for many. Families that have kids that large are enablers because they sure didn't get that way on their own. I am not saying that there aren't underlying issues because there certainly are. I think the woman in the first episode said it best: "I needed weight loss surgery on my head as much as I needed it on my body. I lost the weight but not the issues." Serious counseling and therapy are needed with many cases of weight loss surgery. And yes, I have had a few friends that have undergone the surgery but their surgeons required a lot of work to be put in before they got the surgery in the form of undergoing nutritional counseling, some preliminary weight loss, and meeting with a psychologist to deal with some of the other issues.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2002
    My feet are always cold this time of year... and I usually wear two layers of socks.

Speaking of socks, why is it so difficult to find women's socks that are warm and not simply a thin layer of nylon? The Vermont Country Store, bless 'em, carries women's knee socks made from merino wool, but they are $15 to $20 a pair.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    My feet are always cold this time of year... and I usually wear two layers of socks.

Speaking of socks, why is it so difficult to find women's socks that are warm and not simply a thin layer of nylon? The Vermont Country Store, bless 'em, carries women's knee socks made from merino wool, but they are $15 to $20 a pair.
    Try your local sports store and look for Smart Wool socks - stylish wool socks that aren't too thick and don't itch.

It bothers me when hipsters who have never played soccer wear Adidas soccer shoes.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    It bothers me when hipsters who have never played soccer wear Adidas soccer shoes.
    Me too. I've quit wearing my Sambas for this particular reason.

BTW-Somebody is close to b12...
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jul 2002

A little disturbing

I left Cyburbia and went to weatherunderground.com and there were 5 urban planning ad waiting for me.....
    Last edited by Tom R; 10 Feb 2012 at 9:39 AM. Reason: clarity
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Planning Magazine came today. I actually read a couple articles. Also, there is a picture of a place I have been numerous times. It is the rare occurrence where Planning magazine is relevant to me.... I am not sure what to do with myself...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Planning Magazine came today. I actually read a couple articles. Also, there is a picture of a place I have been numerous times. It is the rare occurrence where Planning magazine is relevant to me.... I am not sure what to do with myself...
    I hope you were wearing khakis and a blue shirt - that would have made it a trifecta!

Any luck with you Gator apparel dilemma?
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    I hope you were wearing khakis and a blue shirt - that would have made it a trifecta!

Any luck with you Gator apparel dilemma?
    Yea I have to wait a couple weeks, but it is on its way.... I didn't forget my deal...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Ironic, isn't it?

Closed thread
Page 32 of 374 FirstFirst ... 22 31 32 33 42 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 31 Dec 2011, 11:53 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM