Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 38 of 374 FirstFirst ... 28 37 38 39 48 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    The odd times make me think it's at least partially intended to drum up some traffic fine revenue. "I don't care what time your watch says it is, the clock in the cruisier says its 7:52, here's your ticket."

I've long believed that government regulators have gone so far overboard that there will be a backlash at some point, not just among the right-wing anti-government types, but among those that support government efforts as well.
    My guess is the motive is not so sinister. I suspect the intent is to make people think about what they are doing. "Wait, is it 7:52? Shit, I better slow down." Or maybe it's just stupid.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I would say it's because public sector employees don't have as many deadlines to meet as do private sector employees.
    haha. hahahahahaha. hahahahhahaha. What planet do you live on???? The "deadlines" for a public sector employee can be so fast and close-spaced, it is damn difficult to coordinate the overlapping public hearing and meeting cycles. What, are you one of those people who think public planners are overpaid(private pays way more, at least in FL).

In a typical month, I'd have 4-5 public hearings, 3 different boards, all with reports due two weeks before (at least 20 per month; sometimes many more, there went the weekends), every other month a community meeting to plan and run, every week a Development Review Committee meeting with general to highly technical reviews due the week before (anywhere from 5 to 15 a week). Then the regional to state level applications that weren't on the normal monthly cycle and required other scheduling. For 15yrs, I had a window of one week per month I could even apply for vacation time, but mostly it wouldn't work because there would be a state-level app or something else that interfered. The biggest family reunion in my lifetime, nope, not in that one week. Same for other events. At any given time, I'd be handling 8 to 10 various cycles and up to 100 more apps over the various boards and government levels.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    This this needs a permit?

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    This this needs a permit?

From the city where my kid was born. I just said in some thread or other that those Southern Baptists are nuts. The fundamentalists, well, nuts might be too good a term.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Louisville

Some of you, especially Gedunker, might find this article interesting.

http://www.urbanophile.com/2012/02/1...ollin-stanley/

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    AIB the Dark Sky posting in Don't appreciate what you've got unless you don't have it thread there was this:
    The world's best spots for stargazing
    By Jayne Clark, USA TODAY

Big Bend National Park in Texas is the latest venue to get the "International Dark Sky Park" seal of approval. It's the darkest in the lower 48 states and the largest in the world among the 10 areas that have earned the title since 2006.

The designation is given by the International Dark Sky Association, which relies on a "vigorous process" to pinpoint locales with exceptional night skies that take pains to preserve the conditions that make them exceptional.
    Has anyone visited this National Park and at night ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    This is my first week coming into work at 8:00 a.m. rather than 7:00 a.m. I have to say it amazes me how much more traffic is on the road at 7:45 than at 6:45!
    LOL, I'm always amazed at how much more there is at 7-8 versus my usual 8:45

Registered
    Jul 2005
    If you're driving with your bright lights on in a neighborhood at night because "I need to see farther", you don't have a visibility problem, you have a speed problem!!

Registered
    Aug 2001

First Lord Secretary of the Treasury Department and Common Wealth Affairs

Just got this spam, wow!

Department of the Treasury
    1500 Pennsylvania Ave., N.W.
    Washington, D.C. 20220
    Email: timothy@treasury

URGENT ATTENTION:

Good Day,

I am Rt Hon Timothy Geithner,First Lord Secretary of the Treasury Department and Common Wealth Affairs here in the United Sate. It is my profound intention to contact you for a contract business transaction worth $30,761,000.00.
    This Transaction emanated from an over invoice contract awarded to Foreign contractors in the Department of Treasury on the 19th December 2011.Am ready to give you every neccessary details as regards to this transaction as soon i receive your responds.

Please be informed that this transaction is higly confidential.You can write me back on my Official address on timothy@treasury

Warms Regard
    Rt Hon Timothy Geithner.
    Washington, D.C. 20220

Registered
    Sep 1999
    We tried to watch Downton Abbey because we keep reading about it. YYYYAAAWWWNNNN. Couldn't undertstand anything they said. No drama. No action. We lasted half an hour and would rather watch cartoons. Anyone notice all the women are anorexic and have no chests? I am pretty sure, reading as I do, that anorexia was not the norm nor admired at that time in British history. It was before the flapper period in US history, and British women tended to be much more well rounded.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Is this a tangential connection to Whitney Houston burial ?
    I grew up in Westfield, NJ, and my father is also buried in Fairview Cemetery.
    Oddball

Registered
    Feb 2004
    It's 12:15. Time for an 80's break

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F8gOc1CAX0
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2003
    The One sure likes poking people.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Wannaplan? View post
    Just got this spam, wow!

Washington, D.C. 20220

URGENT ATTENTION:

Good Day,

I am Rt Hon Timothy Geithner,First Lord Secretary of the Treasury Department and Common Wealth Affairs here in the United Sate. It is my profound intention to contact you for a contract business transaction worth $30,761,000.00.
    This Transaction emanated from an over invoice contract awarded to Foreign contractors in the Department of Treasury on the 19th December 2011.Am ready to give you every neccessary details as regards to this transaction as soon i receive your responds.

Please be informed that this transaction is higly confidential.You can write me back on my Official address on timothy@treasury

Warms Regard
    Rt Hon Timothy Geithner.
    Washington, D.C. 20220
    Wow, you'd better call and get all the details. After all it would never do to piss off the First Lord Secretary of the Treasury Department and Common Wealth Affairs. Anyone with intentions that profound surely means business, and being higly confidential convinces me of it all the more so.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Couldn't even copy the scam correctly.
    http://www.scamtrends.com/atm-card-n...168-0041-0640/
    Oddball

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Scamtrends dot com? When I first looked at the website URL/name I thought how interesting! We professional planners have our own online forum - Cyburbia......and professional scammers evidently have their own online forum too! How nice. They probably have lots of friendly cameraderie going on like we do in the FAC. Their Random Thoughts type thread has posts like:
    SCAM_R_GUY12: What a day, it's only 9 a.m. here in Lagos and the NSA has already started two traces on me! Oy vey!
    UR_ACCNT#PLZ: yeah, I hear you. Yesterday wasn't so bad though. I managed to wheedle Visa card numbers from two little old ladies in Ottawa before noon!
    NIGERIAN_PRINCE: Hey SRG12, are you still running with that age-old 'I've got your off-short account refund ready' horseshit? No wonder the NSA was on you early and often
    SCAM_R_GUY12: NP, be nice to me or I won't buy you any more Heinekins at the next Scamfest!......

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Has anyone visited this National Park (Big Bend National Park) and at night ?
    Indeed I have! Its pretty remarkable. You definitely don't want to be out there anytime after May, though. Even April might be too hot. We were there in the first week of March and it was perfect. Even February is great. Have some friends down in Alpine so we visit every few years. We were there last year about a month before everything started burning up. It was unseasonably hot then and super dry.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I'm back from vacation... and already overwhelmed with both work and home responsibilities.

But I had a great vacation. Must...stay...relaxed...

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Scamtrends dot com? When I first looked at the website URL/name I thought how interesting! We professional planners have our own online forum - Cyburbia......and professional scammers evidently have their own online forum too! How nice. They probably have lots of friendly cameraderie going on like we do in the FAC. Their Random Thoughts type thread has posts like:
    lol. I can see posts like "Sometimes I feel like the general public just has no idea of what we do on a daily basis". "I'm trying to run a scam in x county, but they have a really backward way of looking at scams there, i'm used to y county where the citizenry is generally quite supportive of scams". "The decision-makers I am dealing with just refuse to take the long term view on scamming."
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I hate having hiccups.

Registered
    Dec 2010
    I'm on cyburbia and it's the weekend. You know what that means? It means I finally bought a new laptop!
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    It was very quiet in the office today. I'll bet we didn't receive more than a dozen phone calls. They must have thought we were closed.

Tomorrow will be a different day with all the public hearings. Feast or famine.
    I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

Registered
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator View post

That's a "facepalm" emoticon???

I thought your zipper was down for a second...
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    When I walked the dog this morning, I saw 7 whitetail deer in the woods past our house. Very cool scene with the morning frost and fog and the sun just begining to add colour to the sky.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Feb 2004
    It's that time of year where one begins to notice the days are getting longer (sorry natskis). The sun was almost in my eyes on this morning's drive into work, and I noticed twilight's last gleaming lingering around 7 pm last night.

Closed thread
Page 38 of 374 FirstFirst ... 28 37 38 39 48 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 01 Jan 2014, 12:58 AM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 01 Jan 2012, 12:53 AM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 01 Jan 2009, 12:43 AM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 7:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141