Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 43 of 374 FirstFirst ... 33 42 43 44 53 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

  1. #1051
    Cyburbian Otis's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Upper left edge
    Posts
    4,171
    Hey, lp, that's great. I was about to call you to see what's up, but now I know. Except I don't know your phone number anymore, I just realized.

  2. #1052
    Cyburbian Plus JNA's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Location
    De Noc
    Posts
    18,859
    Emotional tough weekend

    Sat night candle light gathering
    Sun afternoon visitation - closed casket (they could/should not have out of consideration)
    not to mention the media coverage.

    For a one day short of being 19 yo firefighter who died in the line of duty.
    Since he joined the Township Dept, he became a State FF 2 & EMT and was part of their volunteer resident program.

    I knew him because I am close to his girl friends family.

    So two ways I was connected - as an exFF/EMT and a family friend
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)


    Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

  3. #1053
    Cyburbian Tarf's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Encinitas, CA
    Posts
    705
    I just received my AICP welcome package.

    It came in this huge box that cost them $8.65 to send me.

    Inside were 5 pieces of paper (8.5 x 11), and a silly little lapel pin - all of which could have fit in a manilla envelope with maybe some bubble wrap.

    Your AICP dues at work!
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

  4. #1054
    Cyburbian Tide's avatar
    Registered
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Gig City
    Posts
    2,677
    Quote Originally posted by Tarf View post
    I just received my AICP welcome package.

    It came in this huge box that cost them $8.65 to send me.

    Inside were 5 pieces of paper (8.5 x 11), and a silly little lapel pin - all of which could have fit in a manilla envelope with maybe some bubble wrap.

    Your AICP dues at work!
    Send it back if you don't want it then. If not, then be happy you passed one helluva test and quityerbitch'n.

  5. #1055
    Cyburbian Plus JNA's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Location
    De Noc
    Posts
    18,859
    Quote Originally posted by Tarf View post
    I just received my AICP silly little lapel pin
    (Niedermeyer voice) A pledge pin !
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)


    Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

  6. #1056
    moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Location
    at the neighboring pub
    Posts
    5,482
    So my '07 Ford Focus hatchback that I was bragging about a couple of weeks ago for being so reliable after 95,000 miles decided to teach me a lesson. It appears it has suffered a transmission failure and will need a rebuild of some kind. I was hoping for something simple like a solenoid or perhaps a faulty transmission filter, but no such luck. Thankfully, it is just barely under the powertrain warranty so I'm just out a $100 deductable and still get a free rental.

    Of course, now my concern is that a transmission may experience future failures.

    I want to drive this car past 8 years and past 150K miles.

    "Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

    - Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

  7. #1057
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Western Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,779
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Emotional tough weekend

    Sat night candle light gathering
    Sun afternoon visitation - closed casket (they could/should not have out of consideration)
    not to mention the media coverage.

    For a one day short of being 19 yo firefighter who died in the line of duty.
    Since he joined the Township Dept, he became a State FF 2 & EMT and was part of their volunteer resident program.

    I knew him because I am close to his girl friends family.

    So two ways I was connected - as an exFF/EMT and a family friend
    I'm sorry. That's a sad story. My 17 year old son is a volunteer fire fighter, so this hits close to home for me.

  8. #1058
    Cyburbian Tarf's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Encinitas, CA
    Posts
    705
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    Send it back if you don't want it then. If not, then be happy you passed one helluva test and quityerbitch'n.

    I wasn't complaining about *what* they sent, just *how* they sent it. Total waste of money and trees...
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

  9. #1059
    Super Moderator kjel's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Wishing I were in Asia somewhere!
    Posts
    10,070
    Blog entries
    5
    On a grant roll....

    A consortium grant that I spent a significant amount of time working on with fellow CDC's in my fair city has been awarded to us! $130K for the next three years and $60K for two additional years

    The purpose is to properly market the for sale affordable housing that we all build and educate the real estate agents about affordable housing (not Section 8) and funding available for down payment assistance and mortgages with favorable terms and underwriting.

    Huzzah.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

  10. #1060
    Cyburbian Planit's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Posts
    7,655
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    On a grant roll....

    A consortium grant that I spent a significant amount of time working on with fellow CDC's in my fair city has been awarded to us! $130K for the next three years and $60K for two additional years

    The purpose is to properly market the for sale affordable housing that we all build and educate the real estate agents about affordable housing (not Section 8) and funding available for down payment assistance and mortgages with favorable terms and underwriting.

    Huzzah.
    I think you can consider your first day back at work a success! Great news for the first day.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

  11. #1061
    Cyburbian Tide's avatar
    Registered
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Gig City
    Posts
    2,677
    Quote Originally posted by Tarf View post
    I wasn't complaining about *what* they sent, just *how* they sent it. Total waste of money and trees...
    Obviously you haven't ordered anything from Amazon.com recently.

    http://ecoble.com/2009/04/21/10-ridi...ow-to-stop-it/

  12. #1062
    Cyburbian ofos's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Slightly Off-Center
    Posts
    8,260
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    I got a job, phew
    Congrats. Let us know when you get the Cyburbia vacation discounts established and we'll do a laefest (summer only, please).

    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Rj conked out early so I watched the oscars for the first time in, well, decades. I was hoping for Gary Oldman and Viola Davis, but oh well...
    I had the choice of watching the Oscars or the NBA All Star Game so I made the intelligent choice and didn't watch either one.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

  13. #1063
    Cyburbian TOFB's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Loma Linda's
    Posts
    1,447
    An official and public congrats, l p!

  14. #1064
    Cyburbian dandy_warhol's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    meh.
    Posts
    8,340
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    I got a job, phew

    YAY!!! That's wonderful news!

  15. #1065
    Cyburbian dandy_warhol's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    meh.
    Posts
    8,340
    I find it extremely difficult to believe that no one has had a random thought since the 27th. What's the deal, people?

  16. #1066
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    18,833
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    I find it extremely difficult to believe that no one has had a random thought since the 27th. What's the deal, people?
    I 'stole' the few random thoughts posted on the 28th when I split off the 'food city' thread. But yes, overall our slacking needs to increase. We are not meeting the production quotas outlined in the most recent 5 Year Plan comrades.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

  17. #1067
    Cyburbian btrage's avatar
    Registered
    May 2005
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Posts
    6,420
    My daughters and wife have all sucumbed to the stomcach flu since last Thursday evening. One daughter Thursday night, the other daughter Saturday night, and my wife last night. Luckily they've all been of the 12-hour variety. But now I'm anxiously waiting for my turn. I haven't ate anything today because I don't want to throw it up. Maybe I'll be able to escape it.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

  18. #1068
    Cyburbian dandy_warhol's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    meh.
    Posts
    8,340
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    My daughters and wife have all sucumbed to the stomcach flu since last Thursday evening. One daughter Thursday night, the other daughter Saturday night, and my wife last night. Luckily they've all been of the 12-hour variety. But now I'm anxiously waiting for my turn. I haven't ate anything today because I don't want to throw it up. Maybe I'll be able to escape it.
    Leapin' Lizards! That's a lot of flu!

  19. #1069
    Cyburbian illinoisplanner's avatar
    Registered
    May 2005
    Location
    The Fox Valley
    Posts
    4,878
    Blog entries
    1
    I'm a little late to the party, but congrats LP!
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

  20. #1070
    Cyburbian wahday's avatar
    Registered
    May 2005
    Location
    New Town
    Posts
    3,899
    Congrats LP! Employment is a good thing (mostly...)

    While we are on illnesses, my wife just e-mailed me that our daughter was sent home with what looks like Pink Eye. Great. Way to throw a wrench in an otherwise smooth functioning week (which we have not had for months it seems).
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

  21. #1071
    Cyburbian dandy_warhol's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    meh.
    Posts
    8,340
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    Congrats LP! Employment is a good thing (mostly...)

    While we are on illnesses, my wife just e-mailed me that our daughter was sent home with what looks like Pink Eye. Great. Way to throw a wrench in an otherwise smooth functioning week (which we have not had for months it seems).
    Leapin' lizards, pink eye! Ugh. I hope you can contain it to just your daughter.

  22. #1072
    Cyburbian otterpop's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Down by Dun Ringill
    Posts
    6,210
    Blog entries
    6
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    My daughters and wife have all sucumbed to the stomcach flu since last Thursday evening. One daughter Thursday night, the other daughter Saturday night, and my wife last night. Luckily they've all been of the 12-hour variety. But now I'm anxiously waiting for my turn. I haven't ate anything today because I don't want to throw it up. Maybe I'll be able to escape it.
    My wife (a daycare worker) got sick, then my son got sick. I knew my time was coming. It did a few days ago. Nothing too too bad - a sore, scratchy throat and a cough. This time of year our beloved family members become potential germ factories.

    Repeat the mantra: "I love you. You're the light of my life. Now get the hell away from me. I don't wanna be sick!"
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

    ~ Otterpop ~

  23. #1073
    Cyburbian btrage's avatar
    Registered
    May 2005
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Posts
    6,420
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    My wife (a daycare worker) got sick, then my son got sick. I knew my time was coming. It did a few days ago. Nothing too too bad - a sore, scratchy throat and a cough. This time of year our beloved family members become potential germ factories.

    Repeat the mantra: "I love you. You're the light of my life. Now get the hell away from me. I don't wanna be sick!"
    Exactly! I gave my wife the bed last night and I slept on the couch.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

  24. #1074
    Cyburbian terraplnr's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Office.
    Posts
    1,331
    A job I had years ago (with a hospital) had a massage therapist come in weekly to give 15-minute chair massages. If you wanted one, the hospital paid half and the other half came straight out of your paycheck. It was the best work-related invention ever, sometimes the highlight of my work week. While I like my current job a lot more, I seriously miss those massages, could really use one today.

  25. #1075
    Cyburbian imaplanner's avatar
    Registered
    May 2004
    Location
    Snarkville
    Posts
    6,593

    top secret

    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    Tell me how I am supposed to draft a document of the goings on of a board meeting that was held in November?
    I could tell you, but then i would have to kill you.

    Also, please note that ninja rolls are never unintentional. A ninja is always in charge of the situation.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Closed thread
Page 43 of 374 FirstFirst ... 33 42 43 44 53 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

  1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 31 Dec 2011, 11:53 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141
    Last post: 03 Jan 2007, 5:27 PM