Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 52 of 374 FirstFirst ... 42 51 52 53 62 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries

Truth is stranger than fiction

Yesterday my son had a really bad migraine. I couldn't get an appointment with his pediatrician so I took him to Urgent Care. On the door of Urgent Care was a sign.

"The Clinic is closed today due to a medical emergency."

Hmmm. You might think they would be prepared to handle medical emergencies.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Is there something in the Middle Aged Wife Handbook that says you have to wake up one morning suddenly very insecure about ones appearances?
    Why yes! Guilty!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    Yesterday my son had a really bad migraine. I couldn't get an appointment with his pediatrician so I took him to Urgent Care. On the door of Urgent Care was a sign.

"The Clinic is closed today due to a medical emergency."

Hmmm. You might think they would be prepared to handle medical emergencies.
    [Rant] Urgent cares are usually private companies. They employ either Primary care docs who know something about emergency care, or EM certified docs who want more flexibility/better hours then working at a hospital. Unfortunately that means that they close up shop when they want. They also don't have the requirements that hospital emergency rooms have like EMTALA, so they might not take your insurance.

I imagine that we will see more Urgent Cares pop up until the health system is fixed (i.e. Tort reform, less liability on physicians, or pay as you go type services, etc.). Which means probably a fair bit more annoyance on people wanting access unfortunately. [/Rant]
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2004
    It's Thursday!
    That means Andy G and the Hellspawn time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlX9K...eature=related
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2010
    This April I will be starting a new job (that was the big news btw). After about a year of learning the ropes at a mid-sized suburban city I am now going to be working for a much much larger city. Hard to really say if it will ultimately be the right move but an improved title at a very large planning department with more room to grow really seems like the best move for my career at this point. I don't want to say exactly where yet but I already know of a few cyburbians who might be meeting me in person at some state conferences in the future
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by HomerJ View post
    This April I will be starting a new job (that was the big news btw). After about a year of learning the ropes at a mid-sized suburban city I am now going to be working for a much much larger city. Hard to really say if it will ultimately be the right move but an improved title at a very large planning department with more room to grow really seems like the best move for my career at this point. I don't want to say exactly where yet but I already know of a few cyburbians who might be meeting me in person at some state conferences in the future
    Congrats on the move up and away....don't forget about those of us who are still in suburbia!
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Congrats HomerJ! Hope everything works out great!
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    This April I will be starting a new job (that was the big news btw). After about a year of learning the ropes at a mid-sized suburban city I am now going to be working for a much much larger city. Hard to really say if it will ultimately be the right move but an improved title at a very large planning department with more room to grow really seems like the best move for my career at this point.
    Congrats! A toast!

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Yay! Congrats!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I used the term "repurpose" in a staff report this past week. I feel so dirty now.

Also, I was on the local TV news last night regarding a variance to the minimum separation requirement between residential uses and a nightclub. I hope this doesn't evolve into a titty bar.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    An oldie but goody from Was Not Was

Hi dad, I'm in jail
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Congrats on the new job! Having worked at both small suburbs and large cities, I know there is a big difference in how they do things. You will either love it, or long for the good old days in suburbia.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    May 2005
    Is it wrong to eat a small bag of Spicy Nacho Dorritos at 9:30 a.m.?

I had a granola bar at 6:30 a.m. and a cup of coffee at 8:00 a.m.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Sounds like a good move, congrats!!

Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Is it wrong to eat a small bag of Spicy Nacho Dorritos at 9:30 a.m.?

I had a granola bar at 6:30 a.m. and a cup of coffee at 8:00 a.m.
    Not at all.....

Registered
    Aug 2005

I'm outraged and I'm paying attention.

Anyone else feel like this could happen in our lifetime?

"I used to think of my body as an instrument, of pleasure, or a means of transportation, or an implement for the accomplishment of my will . . . Now the flesh arranges itself differently. I’m a cloud, congealed around a central object, the shape of a pear, which is hard and more real than I am and glows red within its translucent wrapping." - Margaret Atwood

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    congrats to Homer!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Congrats! All Cyburbia is on pins & needles or maybe even tenterhooks wanting to know where this "much much larger city" is located.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Congrats! All Cyburbia is on pins & needles or maybe even tenterhooks wanting to know where this "much much larger city" is located.
    Yeah, what he said! Congrats to one of the true Young Guns of the profession and of Cyburbia. Make us proud in.....where was it you said? I know it wasn't Salt Lake......
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Anyone else feel like this could happen in our lifetime?

"I used to think of my body as an instrument, of pleasure, or a means of transportation, or an implement for the accomplishment of my will . . . Now the flesh arranges itself differently. I’m a cloud, congealed around a central object, the shape of a pear, which is hard and more real than I am and glows red within its translucent wrapping." - Margaret Atwood
    Is that from The Handmaid's Tale?? I need to read that book again...

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    Is that from The Handmaid's Tale?? I need to read that book again...
    Yep, it is eerie how some of her themes are close to playing themselves out. I've read it a few times but not in a few years. Definitely need to dust it out again.
    Last edited by dandy_warhol; 16 Mar 2012 at 2:34 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I just learned that Ft. Worth used to have a business called the Monkey Grip Rubber Company. So many wonderful images come to mind.

It made tires.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Evidently my involvement in a code enforcement case that is has a contentious divorce has now gone to my PD. The guy with the code enforcement issue has accused me of having an affair with his wife. I have met either of them ever, just arm chair quarterbacked from my desk advising code enforcement. Good times
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Lil Wayne is upping his street cred after another brush with the law - Lil Wayne's mansion cited for high grass

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    Evidently my involvement in a code enforcement case that is has a contentious divorce has now gone to my PD. The guy with the code enforcement issue has accused me of having an affair with his wife. I have met either of them ever, just arm chair quarterbacked from my desk advising code enforcement. Good times
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Lil Wayne is upping his street cred after another brush with the law - Lil Wayne's mansion cited for high grass
    Dude, you're having an affair with Lil Wayne's WIFE!?!??!?!!??
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    Well, it keeps your job interesting.

Someone left a long, detailed message about a skin rash on my home answering machine this morning. That's the second time someone has dialed our number looking for a health clinic. Don't people listen to outgoing messages? I thought about calling her back to let her know she had the wrong number, but why cause her the embarassment? If her listening skills are that poor, she may ask me for medical advice.

Closed thread
Page 52 of 374 FirstFirst ... 42 51 52 53 62 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 31 Dec 2011, 11:53 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141