Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

Closed thread
Page 67 of 374 FirstFirst ... 57 66 67 68 77 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,675 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    Best Buy has released the full list of stores closing: http://pr.bby.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=24...036&highlight=

Any in your neck of the woods? In the Chicago area, they are closing six stores, more than any other metro area from what I can tell. However, they over-saturated the Chicago market way too much, and even after these closings, there will still be about 45 locations in the metro. They probably could've closed even more stores. In the Niles-Skokie-Evanston area, they still have five store locations...seems like overkill to me.
    None here in Wisconsin, including the two here in the Appleton area.

Mike

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I'm glad I'm not doing zoning administration in Thailand.

http://g.co/maps/jkygp
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Was accused of having a fake idea last night. I'm 28. I live in Illinois and still have a New York State ID. I've lived here five years and never had anyone question it.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Los Angeles is an interesting city. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing yet. Lots of good... Lots of what the hell were you thinking...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by jsk1983 View post
    Was accused of having a fake idea last night. I'm 28. I live in Illinois and still have a New York State ID. I've lived here five years and never had anyone question it.
    I hardly know what to think about a fake idea.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Hubby has been out of town all weekend. I've had a hard weekend of taking care of pets and watching the Veronica Mars marathon on Soapnet. So the question is, treat myself to wings or not?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Hubby has been out of town all weekend. I've had a hard weekend of taking care of pets and watching the Veronica Mars marathon on Soapnet. So the question is, treat myself to wings or not?
    Of course. After a hard weekend like that, you're entitled to anything you want!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I feel like a criminal posting from the Cyber Cafe at APA.... seriously.

There are a couple good sessions, and truthfully a pretty good overall program this year. I am usually pretty negative about APA in general, but I am pretty pleased.

Social media is a bigger presence... #APA2012.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Taking a leap of faith. I've colored my hair (at salons) for 25 yrs. Going to give RJ a chance to use one of those "color your roots" kits. We're going on a trip and it's not really time for me to spend the $$ just yet for color. Keeping my fingers crossed...

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Los Angeles is an interesting city. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing yet. Lots of good... Lots of what the hell were you thinking...
    It's an interesting city, and I kind of like it in some weird way. I'm not looking forward to driving there in rush hour tomorrow for Monday's APA sessions though.
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Get yourself out of LA and into the inland empire.. then you can seriously shake your head and ask yourself what the hell were they thinking?
    No Signature Required

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

stupidity of the den mother

I'm forty-freakin'-seven years old, you would think by now I would know - can't explain this post but I just needed to vent out-cyber-loud about a face palm to my head - GD IT

job and family is fine, so no worries...

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    I'm forty-freakin'-seven years old, you would think by now I would know - can't explain this post but I just needed to vent out-cyber-loud about a face palm to my head - GD IT

I think we all have moments like these. Hang in there.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Just a case of Monday's.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2008
    If crossing arms is generally a defensive and bad pose, why do so many stock photos have people crossing their arms? Is it supposed to come off as "Look at me I'm a professional-type and am on my way up"? So which is it - defensive and off-putting or business-like?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Sometimes I feel like all I'm doing is sitting at my desk just waiting for the other shoe to drop.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Just got a text from Mrs G that her F/T Temp position ends 7-3-12. Lovely.
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

Registered
    Mar 2002

So, what was it: baked beans before the staff meeting?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    And, with my car probably facing a $2,000 repair for head gasket and timing belt replacement, my get-out-of-North-America vacation plans are on hold. I don't want to take too big a chunk out of the house down payment fund.

Always happens every time I've ever planned a trip overseas. Maybe this winter I can pull something off.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Bugs; you just know you've just eaten them without seeing them. How do you feel about that?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Bugs; you just know you've just eaten them without seeing them. How do you feel about that?
    It doesn't bother me... I've eaten them while seeing them and that still doesn't bother me.

This morning I put my boots on and was about to leave for work when I remembered the jacket I wanted to wear was in the bedroom and not the hallway closet. I think these boots must be the loudest things imaginable but luckily the squeaking didn't wake anybody up as I went back in there. I wasn't really too concerned about waking my wife up, I was more worried about my daughter in the next room. Had the noise woken her up that early, the day would not be off to a good start and I would never hear the end of it.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Why does the postal service require a street address in order to obtain a post office box? That just doesn't make sense. Don't some people get a P.O. box because they don't have a mailing address??

Maybe someone with a postal worker in their family can explain this to me.

I'm on the board of a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, a membership organization. We are strictly a volunteer operation. Right now we receive mail at the offices of another organization, but we'd like to use a P.O. box instead (because the other organization is in a transition mode and may be relocating). However, in order to get one, we need a street address (whose?), two forms of ID for anyone allowed to access the box (probably the President, VP and Treasurer, all of whom have to appear in person to apply!), and something on our nonexistent letterhead authorizing these individuals to rent the box. Why make it so hard? Yeesh.
    Last edited by Mud Princess; 17 Apr 2012 at 10:08 AM. Reason: typo

Registered
    Feb 2007

And who says Californias are all "libertards"

Your moment of zen
    No Signature Required

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    Why does the postal service require a street address in order to obtain a post office box? That just doesn't make sense. Don't some people get a P.O. box because they don't have a mailing address??
    You may have a street address but that doesn't mean the Post Office delivers to it. Many people in my state do not receive and cannot receive their mail at home because there is no home delivery. They have to go to the post office to get their mail. With the Post Office wanting to close a lot of rural post offices, this is a problem. People will not be able to get their mail without driving a long distance in sometimes bad weather, to get their mail, prescription medicines and Social Security checks.

As for your situation, guess that just falls between the proverbial cracks of the bureaucracy. But of course, planners know nothing about requiring people to go through procedures that seem unnecessary in the individual case but makes sense in most cases.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    <snip>People will not be able to get their mail without driving a long distance in sometimes bad weather, to get their mail, prescription medicines and Social Security checks.</snip>
    Saw article yesterday that all Social Security checks and other benefit checks must be in the form of electronic bank deposits or a debit card. The savings to Treasury from eliminating paper check printing and mailing are hitting the post office big time as reduced income. Can't wait to see how post office fee increases will eat up savings on mail order prescriptions.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Closed thread
Page 67 of 374 FirstFirst ... 57 66 67 68 77 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 01 Jan 2014, 12:58 AM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 01 Jan 2012, 12:53 AM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 01 Jan 2009, 12:43 AM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 7:05 AM