Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 68 of 374 FirstFirst ... 58 67 68 69 78 ... LastLast
Results 1,676 to 1,700 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

  1. #1676
    Cyburbian ofos's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Slightly Off-Center
    Posts
    8,260
    Looking at my ancestors income in the 1940 census, I make 80 to 100 times more than they did. Is my quality of life better? Sure. 80 to 100 times better? No way. That says something about inflation.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

  2. #1677
    Cyburbia Administrator Dan's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 1996
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    14,668
    Blog entries
    3
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Looking at my ancestors income in the 1940 census, I make 80 to 100 times more than they did.
    Nope. You probably only made two to three times as much as they did, in real dollars. A 1940 dollar has the same spending power as $15.37 today.



    "Oh my God! Everything was so cheap then!" No; just real estate. Otherwise, multiply the prices by 15.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

  3. #1678
    Cyburbian ofos's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Slightly Off-Center
    Posts
    8,260
    Cut off my comment about inflation to make your point, eh?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

  4. #1679
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    18,989
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    make your point, eh?
    ofos, it's about time you came clean and admitted that you're really a Canadian!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

  5. #1680
    Cyburbian otterpop's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Down by Dun Ringill
    Posts
    6,262
    Blog entries
    6
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Saw article yesterday that all Social Security checks and other benefit checks must be in the form of electronic bank deposits or a debit card. The savings to Treasury from eliminating paper check printing and mailing are hitting the post office big time as reduced income. Can't wait to see how post office fee increases will eat up savings on mail order prescriptions.
    I heard the same thing. Sounds like a great idea. Because I know how techno-adept my 84 year old mom is.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

    ~ Otterpop ~

  6. #1681
    Cyburbian ofos's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Slightly Off-Center
    Posts
    8,260
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    ofos, it's about time you came clean and admitted that you're really a Canadian!
    Sometimes it's necessary to emphasize a point with a foreign language, y'all.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

  7. #1682
    Super Moderator kjel's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Wishing I were in Asia somewhere!
    Posts
    10,108
    Blog entries
    5
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Looking at my ancestors income in the 1940 census, I make 80 to 100 times more than they did. Is my quality of life better? Sure. 80 to 100 times better? No way. That says something about inflation.
    I've been indexing records from the 1940 Census as a volunteer and it is fascinating as a planner to see the mix of races living or not living near one another and how people moved around. In case you are curious the items indexed are first and last name of all occupants in the household, their relationship to the head of household, sex, age, race, marriage status, where they were born, and where they lived in 1935. Deciphering handwriting is quite a challenge in some cases! The way the indexing process works is that two different indexers extrapolate the data from the same image of the census book and an arbitrator compares both sets of extrapolated data for agreement/disagreement and makes a decision. I figured that since I like to access this type of information, I might as well participate and do my bit to make it searchable by name.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

  8. #1683
    Cyburbian dandy_warhol's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    meh.
    Posts
    8,340
    At lunch I think I found my great-great grandfather on the 1860 census. Cool!

  9. #1684
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    18,989
    For the record, the BEST commercially available toasting bread on earth is Spatz's white bread. Anyone who has ever lived within 40 miles of Saginaw knows what I'm talking about. Carry on.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

  10. #1685
    Cyburbian Mud Princess's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Upstate
    Posts
    4,894
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    I've been indexing records from the 1940 Census as a volunteer and it is fascinating as a planner to see the mix of races living or not living near one another and how people moved around. In case you are curious the items indexed are first and last name of all occupants in the household, their relationship to the head of household, sex, age, race, marriage status, where they were born, and where they lived in 1935. Deciphering handwriting is quite a challenge in some cases! The way the indexing process works is that two different indexers extrapolate the data from the same image of the census book and an arbitrator compares both sets of extrapolated data for agreement/disagreement and makes a decision. I figured that since I like to access this type of information, I might as well participate and do my bit to make it searchable by name.
    Well, I for one greatly appreciate your efforts! If I had a little more time on my hands, I would love to volunteer.

    Some years ago I did my part as a volunteer for Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness, a website that, unfortunately, no longer exists . (I just learned why here.)

  11. #1686
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    For the record, the BEST commercially available toasting bread on earth is Spatz's white bread. Anyone who has ever lived within 40 miles of Saginaw knows what I'm talking about. Carry on.
    That's a whitebread sort of thing to say. The best toasting bread is Levy's Jewish Rye bread. Anybody says any different is fightin' words.
    Je suis Charlie

  12. #1687
    Cyburbian SW MI Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,179
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    That's a whitebread sort of thing to say. The best toasting bread is Levy's Jewish Rye bread. Anybody says any different is fightin' words.
    Ok, we're fighting I wholeheartedly agree w/ Maister. Spatz's makes the best toast, and also the best french toast. Though I certainly wouldn't eat it w/ radishes, blech.

  13. #1688
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    18,989
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    That's a whitebread sort of thing to say. The best toasting bread is Levy's Jewish Rye bread. Anybody says any different is fightin' words.
    See, SW MI Planner agrees with me, so I guess that settles that once and for all.
    So, how does it feel to be WRONG?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

  14. #1689
    Cyburbian otterpop's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Down by Dun Ringill
    Posts
    6,262
    Blog entries
    6

    Another good reason to vote for Obama

    Dead or in jail sounds like a win-win situation, if I ever heard one.

    http://entertainment.msnbc.msn.com/_...ins-again?lite
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

    ~ Otterpop ~

  15. #1690
    Super Moderator kjel's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Wishing I were in Asia somewhere!
    Posts
    10,108
    Blog entries
    5
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    Well, I for one greatly appreciate your efforts! If I had a little more time on my hands, I would love to volunteer.

    Some years ago I did my part as a volunteer for Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness, a website that, unfortunately, no longer exists . (I just learned why here.)
    It's cool because you can do a little or a lot depending on what you can do. I can usually log a census page with 30-40 records in about 20 minutes if the census taker had good penmanship, longer if they didn't. I've worked on files from New Jersey, Ohio, and Florida so far-usually I just select files from which states have the highest priority status. Florida has proved most interesting to me since it seemed there was a lot of moving going on and there have been a mix of races on the various streets and blocks of the files I've indexed. Less so in the other places. Surprising has been the number of folks who had lodgers or boarders in their homes as well in all three states.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

  16. #1691
    Cyburbian ofos's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Slightly Off-Center
    Posts
    8,260
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    Surprising has been the number of folks who had lodgers or boarders in their homes as well in all three states.
    Lodgers and boarders were very common during the depression and up through WWII when the post-war building boom started. I've known a number of couples from that period who began their married life under those conditions. One of my great-grandmothers ran a boarding house. .
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

  17. #1692
    Cyburbian Plus JNA's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Location
    De Noc
    Posts
    18,991
    Not so quick there Maister declaring victory -

    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    That's a whitebread sort of thing to say. The best toasting bread is Levy's Jewish Rye bread. Anybody says any different is fightin' words.
    I am standing up with my fellow expat Jersey Boy along the Ohio River.

    A tied vote so there.

    A grilled Reuben on rye beats any white bread sandwich.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)


    Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

  18. #1693
    Cyburbian wahday's avatar
    Registered
    May 2005
    Location
    New Town
    Posts
    3,911
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    A grilled Reuben on rye beats any white bread sandwich.
    Reuben on Rye is like saying Pizza Pie or Shrimp Scampi.

    "Ye shall grace your hot sandwich of corned beef, sauerkraut and Swiss cheese (with Russian or Thousand Island dressing) with bread not of bleached wheat, nor of potato bread. Thou shalt only use the supreme loaf of Rye" Thus spoke the Lord. And the Israelites did tremble and carry forth the secret recipe of the world's most powerful sandwich to the far reaches of the world, revealing its secret contents only under the auspices of an authentic Jewish New York deli.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

  19. #1694
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    Reuben on Rye is like saying Pizza Pie or Shrimp Scampi.

    "Ye shall grace your hot sandwich of corned beef, sauerkraut and Swiss cheese (with Russian or Thousand Island dressing) with bread not of bleached wheat, nor of potato bread. Thou shalt only use the supreme loaf of Rye" Thus spoke the Lord. And the Israelites did tremble and carry forth the secret recipe of the world's most powerful sandwich to the far reaches of the world, revealing its secret contents only under the auspices of an authentic Jewish New York deli.
    I don't know if this is an actual vote on behalf of Jewish Rye, but it's WAY BETTER than any white bread called Spatz could EVER come up with.
    Je suis Charlie

  20. #1695
    Super Moderator kjel's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Wishing I were in Asia somewhere!
    Posts
    10,108
    Blog entries
    5
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Not so quick there Maister declaring victory -



    I am standing up with my fellow expat Jersey Boy along the Ohio River.

    A tied vote so there.

    A grilled Reuben on rye beats any white bread sandwich.
    Better yet....marbled rye!
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

  21. #1696
    Cyburbian Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Jukin' City
    Posts
    16,863
    Although the potential was clearly there, I survived this morning's Board hearing unscathed. And even got a complement from one commissioner. *wheeew*
    Annoyingly insensitive

  22. #1697
    Cyburbian otterpop's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Down by Dun Ringill
    Posts
    6,262
    Blog entries
    6
    "Can't we all... just... get along?”

    As a self-appointed sandwich expert, who has previously acknowledged in Cyburbia the debt we owe the Earl of Sandwich, I must say that both white and rye bread have their strengths.

    When making a BLT or a turkey sandwich, I go with white bread. Though I've never tasted Spatz's white bread, I will take Maister's word that it makes fine toast and would be an asset to a BLT, turkey sandwich, and the king of white bread sandwiches - The Club Sandwich.

    But when I want a great ham and swiss, I would go the route of a marbled or Jewish rye bread, with some deli mustard and perhaps a pickle spear on the side.

    As far as a hot sandwich, definitely the Reuben is suitable for a king. A marbled or Jewish rye are excellent choices. Russian rye is a second choice. I've had a dark rye Rueben but found the dark rye to be a wee too strong. I prefer Russian dressing over 1,000 Islands, but good Russian dressing is hard to come by. Lean corned beef, preferably cut not too thin. Definitely sauerkraut and Swiss cheese are in the mix. Grilled till hot and runny.

    If someone asks if you would like a turkey reuben, I think you are in your legal rights to slap the heck out of them.

    A reuben with pastrami instead of corned beef (a rachel) is a fine sandwich as well.

    I will not discuss the merits of whole wheat bread. While a good healthy choice, I do not care for the taste of it.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

    ~ Otterpop ~

  23. #1698
    Cyburbian imaplanner's avatar
    Registered
    May 2004
    Location
    Snarkville
    Posts
    6,593
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    "Can't we all... just... get along?”

    As a self-appointed sandwich expert, who has previously acknowledged in Cyburbia the debt we owe the Earl of Sandwich, I must say that both white and rye bread have their strengths.

    When making a BLT or a turkey sandwich, I go with white bread. Though I've never tasted Spatz's white bread, I will take Maister's word that it makes fine toast and would be an asset to a BLT, turkey sandwich, and the king of white bread sandwiches - The Club Sandwich.

    But when I want a great ham and swiss, I would go the route of a marbled or Jewish rye bread, with some deli mustard and perhaps a pickle spear on the side.

    As far as a hot sandwich, definitely the Reuben is suitable for a king. A marbled or Jewish rye are excellent choices. Russian rye is a second choice. I've had a dark rye Rueben but found the dark rye to be a wee too strong. I prefer Russian dressing over 1,000 Islands, but good Russian dressing is hard to come by. Lean corned beef, preferably cut not too thin. Definitely sauerkraut and Swiss cheese are in the mix. Grilled till hot and runny.

    If someone asks if you would like a turkey reuben, I think you are in your legal rights to slap the heck out of them.

    A reuben with pastrami instead of corned beef (a rachel) is a fine sandwich as well.

    I will not discuss the merits of whole wheat bread. While a good healthy choice, I do not care for the taste of it.

    I think a sandwich is a sandwich is a sandwich and no one way of ordering a sandwich is better than any others. I also think you might be a sandwich nazi

    Truthfully, I have come to really enjoy whole wheat bread. So much so that I prefer it over white now. There are in fact certain sandwiches that just call out for sourdough. And honestly, a turkey reuben is not really a real reuben but it is still delicious! In my own humble opinion of course.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

  24. #1699
    Cyburbian WSU MUP Student's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lowering the PCI in the Hills
    Posts
    6,086
    I feel so cultured... I commissioned a painting!

    The wife of a very good friend of mine recently decided to take up painting and the stuff that she has shown me is stunningly good. She has no formal training and when I knew her (I dated her before her and my friend met, she eventually left me for him, but there are zero hard feelings) she showed no artistic ability or interest. As somebody who routinely messes up drawings of stick figures, I am impressed.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

  25. #1700
    Cyburbian SW MI Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,179
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    As a self-appointed sandwich expert, who has previously acknowledged in Cyburbia the debt we owe the Earl of Sandwich, I must say that both white and rye bread have their strengths.

    (snip)

    If someone asks if you would like a turkey reuben, I think you are in your legal rights to slap the heck out of them.
    I agree, no argument between white and rye as they both have their merits. However, this coming from someone who only orders turkey reubens (ducks and runs)..... at least I still go with sauerkraut!

Closed thread
Page 68 of 374 FirstFirst ... 58 67 68 69 78 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

  1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 31 Dec 2011, 11:53 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141
    Last post: 03 Jan 2007, 5:27 PM