Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 72 of 374 FirstFirst ... 62 71 72 73 82 ... LastLast
Results 1,776 to 1,800 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    My wife sometimes says my shirt looks nice. I find it usually happens when it is a shirt she bought for me....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    My wife sometimes says my shirt looks nice. I find it usually happens when it is a shirt she bought for me....
    My wife does the same thing. As recently as last weekend.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    My wife does the same thing. As recently as last weekend.
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    wow - I always say thatto my husband when he wears a shirt I gave him - wait, I buy all his clothes so I say that every day (when I am home anyway) - isn't that nice?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by Tarf View post
    Ugh. Have a date on Thurs, Fri, and Saturday... with 3 different people. How did that happen?
    Sounds like a new version of Rygor...hey what ever happened to Rygor after getting settled in aridzona anyway?
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Sounds like a new version of Rygor...hey what ever happened to Rygor after getting settled in aridzona anyway?
    Dating..bought a house, landed a job. I stalk him on FB..
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    fb stalking tells me he has a lady and is loving AZ...no excuses though I have a boyfriend and still find time to post on cyburbia.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    fb stalking tells me he has a lady and is loving AZ...no excuses though I have a boyfriend and still find time to post on cyburbia.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    It's a well-known fact that there are few things Cyburbians enjoy more than a thread which poses some sort of ethical dilemma to ponder. I was going to start one but no premise comes readily to mind. Perhaps some other Cyburbian who has not reached their annual thread starting quota might want to come up with one......
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    It's a well-known fact that there are few things Cyburbians enjoy more than a thread which poses some sort of ethical dilemma to ponder. I was going to start one but no premise comes readily to mind. Perhaps some other Cyburbian who has not reached their annual thread starting quota might want to come up with one......
    This assumes there are Cyburbians who have ethics.

I just heard about yet another planner who is leaving the industry for a job in a completely unrelated field. Sometimes I wish I could do that.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    "Mr. Plow is a loser and I think he is a boozer." - Linda Ronstadt

Random #2: Folks, consider this post a plug for the Kulusuk Tourist Bureau. You should all go there.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2004
    cyburbia has been running REALLY slow for me the last two days.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    I have a boyfriend and still find time to post on cyburbia.

Haha last I checked in Rygor is doing very well and I think is either finished or in the process of finishing school.

On the flip side, I guess I'll check back in: New job, new state, new place, no more girlfriend and somehow I have a lot less time than I did before. It wasn't easy, but I had to sacrifice the relationship for the sake of moving my career forward.

I must continue to move forward, not backward;
    upward, not forward;
    and always twirling, TWIRLING, TWIRLING TOWARDS FREEDOM!!!

sorry cyburbia. I've been gone for a while, I felt like I needed to make my presence known
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2012
    Just saw a job posting that desired "Fluency with Microsoft Office software and Apple TV Technology." Interesting. Apple TV and Planning, I kind of want to email the POC and ask why Apple TV.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Huck View post
    Just saw a job posting that desired "Fluency with Microsoft Office software and Apple TV Technology." Interesting. Apple TV and Planning, I kind of want to email the POC and ask why Apple TV.
    They may use Apple TV to stream planning board slide shows as JPGs instead of PPT? My wife would use it to do picture slide shows from her computer to a TV in another room.
    @GigCityPlanner

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2012
    I'm fairly certain it's for something like that, but I think it's funny "Apple TV Technology" makes it seem like it's more than it is.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    cyburbia has been running REALLY slow for me the last two days.
    I know. It's incredibly frustrating from my end, and I think it's responsible for the drop in traffic.

It's not hackers or a bump in traffic. It seems like it's another VPS on the same node that happens to be very busy, so it's impacting us quite a bit. Even late at night, with little traffic here, and low memory consumption, we're getting grueling slowdowns and timeouts. It started about a month ago, and it seems to get worse every day.

I signed up for a new server at the same host a couple of weeks ago. Tonight just put in the request to migrate the server this weekend. I needed a bunch of technical information I didn't have handy, which is why I didn't do it earlier.

EDIT: the migration will be this weekend. Once it's finished, I'll send out a mass email to Forums members and tell them we're back to normal. If there's problems, visit the Cyburbia group on Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/cyburbia/
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Last night I was previewing various youtube videos to feature for today's jam of the day when I happened upon a treasure trove of old Godzilla video clips. Junior was watching over my shoulder and it occurred to me this was his first exposure to Godzilla. His first observation was that Godzilla was just somebody dressed up in a monster suit, but nonetheless he obviously enjoyed the clips immensely because he kept asking to see more of them repeatedly. I may stop by the used video store tonight and see what I can find in the way of old Godzilla DVDs, because I recall at his age thinking Godzilla was really cool. The special effects in classic Godzilla movies are gloriously bad (were bad even for the day), yet in spite of that we are still fascinated by Godzilla - almost 60 years after his creation. Why is that? I suspect it has much to do with the 3M formula: Missiles, Monsters, & Mayhem. What's not to like?

I've rediscovered that 6 year old boys think Godzilla is cool, but I'm curious do 6 y.o. girls like Godzilla too or have they become so acculturated by this point that cool needs to be about princesses and unicorns?

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Huck View post
    I know which posting you are referring to. You couldn't pay me enough to work there.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Last night I I happened upon a treasure trove of old Godzilla video clips. Junior was watching over my shoulder and it occurred to me this was his first exposure to Godzilla. . .
    My son went through a Godzilla phase. We watched every one in Hastings. They are so bad they are good. And at least they are movies you can let your kids watch.

Side note: My dad who for the most part was a pretty uptight lawyer who could be a bit of a snob, loved those bad Japanese horror movies. When I was a kid a local station ran them at 10:30 on Sunday morning. Mom was getting us off to church and Dad was settling in to see if Godzilla would once again defeat Mothra.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    sometimes I forget the Cyburbian tags of people I have friended here on FB, as in "is that?....uh..." oops

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I'm officially designating today as "Godzilla Day" on Cyburbia.

Godzilla vs King Kong

It's difficult to nail down where the real genius of this film lies; the innovative cinematography? the pithy dialogue? the space age special effects? The imaginative writing? How did this film not get at least a nomination for an Academy Award?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I'm officially designating today as "Godzilla Day" on Cyburbia.

Godzilla vs King Kong

It's difficult to nail down where the real genius of this film lies; the innovative cinematography? the pithy dialogue? the space age special effects? The imaginative writing? How did this film not get at least a nomination for an Academy Award?
    Don't forget" "hot Asian chicks."

~ Otterpop ~

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Gee what a surprise in the NFL draft
    1 - Andrew Luck - Indy Colts
    2 - RGIII - Washington Redskins
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Next likely to move up a level in Teh Clube is Veloise - 5 posts from the 4K.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    Don't forget" "hot Asian chicks."
    Much like Godzilla...complete fiction.

Closed thread
Page 72 of 374 FirstFirst ... 62 71 72 73 82 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM