Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 75 of 374 FirstFirst ... 65 74 75 76 85 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,875 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    In the social heirarchy - Volvo drivers are where on the ladder ?
    They reject The Man's social hierarchy. I think they have a hierarchy of their own, though. At the top would be the wise old-school activist with a ponytail and beard, down to the crunchy gray-haired garden lady, the back-to-the-land dude with a few sitting on his property for parts, the retired liberal arts professor, the young wannabe couple that shops at the co-op, the college student of hippie parentage who patronizes the hemp clothing stores downtown, and at the bottom, the apolitical petrolhead who just happens to like old Bricks, and the middle class mom who bought one because they're safe.

Subaru drivers don't have such a hierarchy. We're a bit more egalitarian. Planner types, outdoors enthusiasts, Boston marriage couples, ricers with modded WRXs, snowbelt commuters, we're all the same. As long as you vote Democratic.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    They reject The Man's social hierarchy. I think they have a hierarchy of their own, though. At the top would be the wise old-school activist with a ponytail and beard, down to the crunchy gray-haired garden lady, the back-to-the-land dude with a few sitting on his property for parts, the retired liberal arts professor, the young wannabe couple that shops at the co-op, the college student of hippie parentage who patronizes the hemp clothing stores downtown, and at the bottom, the apolitical petrolhead who just happens to like old Bricks, and the middle class mom who bought one because they're safe.

Subaru drivers don't have such a hierarchy. We're a bit more egalitarian. Planner types, outdoors enthusiasts, Boston marriage couples, ricers with modded WRXs, snowbelt commuters, we're all the same. As long as you vote Democratic.
    So you met my undergraduate economics professor? Old school activist, UC Berkley grad, mountain man beard, wild long curly hair, drove a beat up Volvo and swore he never drove any other kind of car and never wood. We liked him because he hated hot weather so if it was too hot outside during summer classes he'd let us go home early.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jul 2006
    In the social heirarchy - Volvo drivers are where on the ladder ?
    First of all, their ladder and the rung that they stand on, would be made of wood but only from certified sustainable sources. Second, the ladder would have hand-rails for safety. It would also only have one rung so everyone would know that they were at the top.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I just discovered that some couple in Texas has my dream life!! Her husband won some Yahoo! contest and now they get to travel to 4 international sporting events each year from 2010 - 2014! For 2012 they're going to Amsterdam, London, Bangkok and Mauritius. <insert jealous smilie>

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I enjoyed "driving home" with Dan through the People's Republic of Ithaca. I think once a week it should be a cyburbian's assignment to drive somewhere and take us all with them.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Yup

Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    I enjoyed "driving home" with Dan through the People's Republic of Ithaca. I think once a week it should be a cyburbian's assignment to drive somewhere and take us all with them.
    I enjoyed the drive as well. That assignment sounds like a pretty cool idea too.
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dw914er View post
    Yup

You too huh?

Something just started going on with mine where I hear it spool up but it kind of farts out somewhere near the turbo- it actually makes kind of a farting noise. Not sure what is going on but it looks like I'm going to be busy this weekend.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Mother of the year candidate:
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...153138630.html

A New Jersey woman arrested for allegedly putting her 5-year-old daughter in a tanning booth says it was all a big misunderstanding.

If you look at her on the video she's about 3 months away from melanoma. She even makes Snooki look pale.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post

A New Jersey woman arrested for allegedly putting her 5-year-old daughter in a tanning booth says it was all a big misunderstanding.

If you look at her on the video she's about 3 months away from melanoma. She even makes Snooki look pale.
    Looks like a tanning obsession. Wonder if there is a medical term for that?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    I found a Wikipedia entry that might explain it.

(with apologies to kjel )

Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Something just started going on with mine where I hear it spool up but it kind of farts out somewhere near the turbo- it actually makes kind of a farting noise. Not sure what is going on but it looks like I'm going to be busy this weekend.
    My '05 Legacy -- still in the shop, having the expected gasket/water pump/timing belt replacement after the body work -- has a starter that makes an old-school Mopar whine.

Sometime next year, I'd like to replace the shocks, struts and springs. I'd like to find something that's a good compromise between comfort and handling. The car sits low as it is, and I'd actually like to pick it up an inch for more snow clearance.

I always thought about picking up a rust-free 240 from the Pacific Northwest, driving it back, and flipping it here. If I could find a 4WD Justy in decent shape, though ...
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries

Her face is the same color and texture as my old brown shoes.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Oct 2009
    You too huh?

I'm now on wrx number two (I sold my first one).

Are you holding boost at all? Something probably just popped off.

My '05 Legacy -- still in the shop, having the expected gasket/water pump/timing belt replacement after the body work -- has a starter that makes an old-school Mopar whine.

Sometime next year, I'd like to replace the shocks, struts and springs. I'd like to find something that's a good compromise between comfort and handling. The car sits low as it is, and I'd actually like to pick it up an inch for more snow clearance.

I always thought about picking up a rust-free 240 from the Pacific Northwest, driving it back, and flipping it here. If I could find a 4WD Justy in decent shape, though ...
    There's an offroad subaru forum that could provide some info for your new suspension parts. I know that the older impreza models (my old wrx, for instance) could swap in a forester spring and strut combo and add a few inches to the ride height. I typically lower my cars though, because I like the challenge of an incoming speedbump.

That's just crazy.....

I don't think I'll ever understand some people's obsession with tanning. I've seen a photo timeline online of a highschool aged girl ranging from 7th grade to her senior year, that shows her transform from a young, fair skinned girl to a pumpkin. Each year she becomes one step closer to matching my couch.

Registered
    May 2004
    I'm now on wrx number two (I sold my first one).

Are you holding boost at all? Something probably just popped off.
    I've had this one since 03. It holds boost but feels underpowered and you can hear air escaping somewhere near the turbo. I think you are right, but determining what popped off may take some work.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    You know what sucks is breaking a crown over a root canal off. What a weird sensation.
    Ow ow ow ow ow ow! And involuntary tongue flick to boot, probably. Ow ow ow ow ow ow ow
    Back from my Dentist - broke enough tooth off that he could not refit the crown.
    So I have a choice either go to a Periodontist to reshape tooth and bone (time - from proceedure to crown - month) or extract the tooth.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    Her face is the same color and texture as my old brown shoes.
    I cannot even look at that photo without my stomach turning.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I cannot even look at that photo without my stomach turning.
    Reminds me of some hotdogs I've burned over a campfire.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Back from my Dentist - broke enough tooth off that he could not refit the crown.
    So I have a choice either go to a Periodontist to reshape tooth and bone (time - from proceedure to crown - month) or extract the tooth.
    Pull it. You will still have several left.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    That there is your Kentucky speaking.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2005
    That's just crazy.....

I don't think I'll ever understand some people's obsession with tanning. I've seen a photo timeline online of a highschool aged girl ranging from 7th grade to her senior year, that shows her transform from a young, fair skinned girl to a pumpkin. Each year she becomes one step closer to matching my couch.
    The other day I was at the Board meeting for our local childern's museum and a fellow board member was talking about how a former board member was dying of melanoma. In walks a another board member who mentioned how she had to go tanning after the meeting. Really?

I once read a study about how tanning beds are more hazardous to one's health than arsenic.

Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    That there is your Kentucky speaking.
    Post of the Week to JNA.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Oct 2009
    I've had this one since 03. It holds boost but feels underpowered and you can hear air escaping somewhere near the turbo. I think you are right, but determining what popped off may take some work.
    The y-pipe underneath the intercooler is a flexible plastic piece, so that'd be an easy place to start. Most of the parts are metal (uppipe, turbo, and intercooler), so that pipe is a usual suspect.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    I found a Wikipedia entry that might explain it.

(with apologies to kjel )
    Gross. What's worse is she has a man that will still sleep with her looking like that

ZG google "tanorexia".

Dan: No offense taken, remember although I live here I am not FROM here

You know you have to doing something wrong when Snookie says you are crazy. Just saying. http://www.nj.com/entertainment/inde...om_snooki.html
    Last edited by kjel; 02 May 2012 at 5:45 PM. Reason: Snookie
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2004
    The y-pipe underneath the intercooler is a flexible plastic piece, so that'd be an easy place to start. Most of the parts are metal (uppipe, turbo, and intercooler), so that pipe is a usual suspect.
    Good call. I did all the work myself when I went to stage 2 so I have some familiarity. also- it means I am probably to blame for not torqueing something down good enough lol. I also just swiped a metal guardrail while parking at work just now, screwed up the whole side of my car. Today = teh suck

Quote Originally posted by kjel
    Gross. What's worse is she has a man that will still sleep with her looking like that
    ugh.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Hello hello! I havent posted in awhile- Easter, hat wearing and travelling around the middle of Oz has made the past couple of weeks very busy! So whats been happening?!! What have i missed?
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post

]
    I've heard of some odd fetishes, so it doesn't surprise me that there's a man out there with erotic fantasies about "doing" a slab of beef jerky...

RJ and I like to tan, and we even go to a salon from time to time. But, even living in FL, I have never heard of, or seen, anyone that tan! Burnt to a crisp from trying to get a tan on a 4-day vacation, yes, it happens all the time, but those pics point toward some kind of mental illness.

Closed thread
Page 75 of 374 FirstFirst ... 65 74 75 76 85 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 01 Jan 2014, 12:58 AM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 01 Jan 2012, 12:53 AM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 01 Jan 2009, 12:43 AM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 7:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141