Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 78 of 374 FirstFirst ... 68 77 78 79 88 ... LastLast
Results 1,926 to 1,950 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    I am so sick of having our building plan review and inspections outsourced. I think my focus this week is going to be making the business case for bringing those services in-house for our upcoming budget workshop. I really am fed up, and that is without considering my philosophical aversion to outsourcing building plan review & inspection.
    Ironic, because we are moving towards having plan review and inspections privatized. Last June, all of our inspector positions were eliminated and we went out to bid for services. After the bids came in, the city told the inspectors they could match the bids to keep their jobs. They all did. So they're now all independent contractors. I can envision that as they all retire, we will move to a full privativization.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    If Dumas had taken your advice, he would have ended up as a Poor Boy.
    Maybe that's why he Torpedoed the idea.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    One of my Historic Preservation Commissioners has a good sense of humor... we're working on draft design standards & guidelines for our historic district. He provided me redlines via email, and is probably my best commissioner (architect that specializes in historic renovations). Well I'm going through his redlines and come across this gem from him:

"Large, colorful welded metal chickens imported from Mexico are encouraged and allowed by-right without a Certificate of Design Compliance."

He said he inserted that to make sure I was paying attention.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Too bad. That really sounds like a Midol moment.
    Or one requiring two clawfoot bathtubs.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

looking out over a mountain meadow scene?

Quote Originally posted by Mastiff View post
    post of the day

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    What if tiki torches and Midol both don't help ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff View post
    What's that all about anyway? Don't they know how to throw a football through a tire on a rope?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I just got an email telling me how easy it is to meet "over 50 singles". I can't decide if they think I want to meet singles who are 50 and older, or if I am so virulent that I want to meet more than 50 singles.

Guess it doesn't matter because I responded that I am married and my mind is in imaplanner's lap anyway. Eureka! Makes the singles scene seem dull when you see life through my eyes.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Sometimes I like to throw things at my window. It makes a good noise and gets people to say "are you okay?". Usually, I say, "Yes, why do you ask?" and pretend like I didn't hear the noise....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    And works for mac? Thanks for the tip!
    I didn't think so but I guess it does now! I run Sophos on RT's Mac. I have Avast on one of the home PC's and like it. I used SpyBot as well.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    One of my Historic Preservation Commissioners has a good sense of humor... we're working on draft design standards & guidelines for our historic district. He provided me redlines via email, and is probably my best commissioner (architect that specializes in historic renovations). Well I'm going through his redlines and come across this gem from him:

"Large, colorful welded metal chickens imported from Mexico are encouraged and allowed by-right without a Certificate of Design Compliance."

He said he inserted that to make sure I was paying attention.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    I just got an email telling me how easy it is to meet "over 50 singles". I can't decide if they think I want to meet singles who are 50 and older, or if I am so virulent that I want to meet more than 50 singles.

Guess it doesn't matter because I responded that I am married and my mind is in imaplanner's lap anyway. Eureka! Makes the singles scene seem dull when you see life through my eyes.
    Have you been visiting 'mature' pron sites? They must have id'ed you from your History profile...either that or the 'big sexy hair' posts.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jan 2005
    My body is sitting in this chair, in this office because they can make me do that. But my mind is elsewhere, man. It's acutally at a coin-op laudnry in Elko. Probably ought to just settle for the chair in the office, huh?
    I actually camped at the KOA in Elko once..

Registered
    Feb 2002
    There's nothing worse than wearing a sweater to work because it's normally FREEZING in the office, only to have the air conditioning broke. Pretty sure my gym clothes wouldn't be acceptable alternative so I will continue being miserably stickly for the next hour.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    I actually camped at the KOA in Elko once..
    I bought a belt and a shirt at the Elko Walmart.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by terraplnr View post

I sent him a link to that blog in response.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

Registered
    Mar 2002
    if I am so virulent that I want to meet more than 50 singles.
    I think "virile" might have been a better choice of words. Or did you mean to be taken as malignant?

Either way, no clawfoot bathtubs for you!

Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    I won a boatload at a slot machine in an Elko truckstop.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I hate the term two-coffee morning. With that said...

This is a two coffee morning.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    IIRC Elko is infested with Mule Deer.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    I hate the term two-coffee morning. With that said...

This is a two coffee morning.
    Sounds like you're having a real Midol moment.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    For some people a two-coffee morning is normal.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Off work today - primary election day is a scheduled holiday.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    IIRC Elko is infested with Mule Deer.
    So is my town. In the snowy weather they like to rest under the trampoline in our yard. In the summer and fall they eat our apples. I don't begrudge them our mealy, wormy apples. But when I watch them wolfing them down I worry one of them might choke. I have no idea how to give a deer a Heimlich.

Of course if the deer did choke to death on one of our apples, I do have some wicked knives and plenty of room in the freezer.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Feb 2004
    BearUpNorth is going on six weeks without logging in. Anyone heard anything from him recently? I'm officially upgrading his absence status from 'curious' to 'concerned'

and while we're at it, how about TerraSapient? I got the impression she and MW were going to make a big move so maybe that explains the lengthy absence.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    BearUpNorth is going on six weeks without logging in. Anyone heard anything from him recently? I'm officially upgrading his absence status from 'curious' to 'concerned'

and while we're at it, how about TerraSapient? I got the impression she and MW were going to make a big move so maybe that explains the lengthy absence.
    Bear has been under the weather a bit, which has probably slowed his participation. He was active on Facebook last Saturday, but still isn't feeling great. Don't really know details, but I think you can drop him from the "concerned" category.

Bear-stalking 'Burb Fixer
    (BUN-esque signature)

Closed thread
Page 78 of 374 FirstFirst ... 68 77 78 79 88 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 01 Jan 2014, 12:58 AM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 01 Jan 2012, 12:53 AM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 01 Jan 2009, 12:43 AM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 7:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141