Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 84 of 374 FirstFirst ... 74 83 84 85 94 ... LastLast
Results 2,076 to 2,100 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    This place is getting WAY too serious today. Afterall it's Friday!
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    May 2005
    All of the Serious threads are seriously annoying.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    All of the Serious threads are seriously annoying.
    and stupid. Post padding and snark are one thing, but give me a break.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I like listening to my animal control officer's county dispatch radio while he is gone...

Now if the PD would just tell me where traffic patrol is set up so I can choose a speedy route home, we'll be good.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    Post padding and snark are one thing,
    No, they are two different things -- which can be done at the same time. Case in point.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    No, they are two different things -- which can be done at the same time. Case in point.
    Point to the large gentleman from Utah
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Few things are as cute as a young mom pulling a Red Flyer with a toddler inside. Extra points for cuteness if said toddler is a girl with a pretty hat.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Is that revenge for French Fries?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    When did the song 'Kum Ba Yah' come to be regarded with such cynical connotations?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    When did the song 'Kum Ba Yah' come to be regarded with such cynical connotations?
    Around the time people began to insult a person by calling them "Einstein."
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    If you went to Catholic school in the 1970s, you'd know why.

A wild ass prediction: in a few years, people will mock the phrase We have much to learn from them, usually used in a "noble savage" context to express admiration for some "wise" cultural aspect of a developing nation or exotic people, in the way they do for "Kumbaya" today.

Ahhh, yes. necklacing. A beloved custom based on a rich heritage that dates back thousands of years, one which brings the community together in a spirit of unity and cooperation. We have much to learn from them.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    After the last two days (and prior 7 months) I swear that I am going to resort to reporting code violations to the Super Mayor's twitter feed to get some reaction or action out of the city. I have lodged 4 complaints and the housing department has lodged an additional 2 complaints on an occupied problem property that adjoins two row houses that I will renovate. It has shared sewer lateral that is broken between the houses and the sewer main. The problem property has sewage backup in their basement and the two above ground floors are occupied with tenants, there is black mold everywhere and the stench is overwhelming. Finally, FINALLY code enforcement showed up today as a dog and pony show to the consultant doing an evaluation on their department. The mofo field supervisor asked me why I didn't call it in before....I said I did 6 time and FWIW I spoke to you personally for 20 minutes in December about the escalating problem and you assured me that you would personally go out and inspect it yourself. He beat a hasty retreat from talking to me any further.

Interim solution is that the slumlord had to relocate his tenants temporarily, the water to the building is shut off, and he has to contract with a plumber and apply for sidewalk and road opening permits for the install. I don't think he knows that it takes a full two weeks to get those permits out of the city before work can commence.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    We are about to have a new leader on the "Leader Board." It will happen any day now... the torch will be passed...

EDIT: You ever wake up and not know what day it is? Right, it's Saturday and I don't have go to work....it's Saturday, right? Shake me.

EDIT 2: The pool water is at 90°F. I skinny-dipped after dinner last night.
    Last edited by Richmond Jake; 19 May 2012 at 8:03 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    If you went to Catholic school in the 1970s, you'd know why.

A wild ass prediction: in a few years, people will mock the phrase We have much to learn from them, usually used in a "noble savage" context to express admiration for some "wise" cultural aspect of a developing nation or exotic people, in the way they do for "Kumbaya" today.

Ahhh, yes. necklacing. A beloved custom based on a rich heritage that dates back thousands of years, one which brings the community together in a spirit of unity and cooperation. We have much to learn from them.
    GAAAH! I did not bother to click on that link until now - how gruesome! I guess I just assumed it was a link to a wiki article about native villages stringing seashells together - after all, it was written using Papyrus!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    National Bike to Work Day.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Somebody got caught overloading the taco meat with chili powder tonight at dinner. My nasal passages are still trying to recover.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    National Bike to Work Day.

They look like they've never seen a bike.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Sunday Kind Of Randoms

A quiet Sunday morning in NW Ohio. The only sound is the gentle slamming of olde fingers on black keys as this Bear walks the sidewalks of Cyburbia.....

Recycling Center Random - I probably mentioned this before. Yesterday I took a load of newspapers and knocked-down cardboard boxes to the recycling center bins. Closest bins to me are in Lucas County (I am in Fulton County) at Toledo Express Airport. Just wondering if my rugged Tundra uses more energy points driving to and back from the bins than is saved by the act of recycling. Just wondering.

What the hell is an "energy point"?

Wedding Random - Went to a wedding on Friday night. Who the hell gets married on a Friday? Anybody who wants to save considerable dollars on hall rental.

Catholic Bear Random - My first 6 years of elementary school were spent at Gesu Catholic Grade School. The nuns were very mean, especially Sister Mary Josephia. Those years probably explain a lot about me.

Wow Random - I have been strolling these Cyburbian sidewalks since May 31, 2003. Wow! Sorry about your luck.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    This evening I happened upon the old Gloria Gaynor alien Survive (pre-You tube) video and the kid wandered out and said "hey, I remember that!". He was maybe 6 when it was one of the first wide-spread 'net videos. I remember my boss at the time almost wet his pants watching that.

On a kid-related note, he's going to the community college tomorrow to take his class placement exam (hopefully to demonstrate he doesn't need to take remedial classes)and register for his first college semester.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    Catholic Bear Random - My first 6 years of elementary school were spent at Gesu Catholic Grade School. The nuns were very mean, especially Sister Mary Josephia. Those years probably explain a lot about me.
    Maybe that accounts for this.

The number of religiously unaffiliated in area soars
    Nearly half of residents in Buffalo Niagara region considered "unclaimed" by a religious group.

From the article (Buffalo News, 5 May 2012):

Catholicism, most mainline Protestant denominations, Judaism and some evangelical denominations in the Buffalo Niagara region experienced huge membership declines between 2000 and 2010, according to the Association of Statisticians of American Religious Bodies, which last week released the results of the latest U.S. Religion Census.

The study also showed exponential growth of the local Muslim community, which is now estimated at 18,483 people in Erie and Niagara counties, up from about 5,400 a decade ago.

That makes Islam the second most-practiced world religion in Western New York, behind Christianity.

Judaism slipped to third, with a total of 8,084 adherents in Buffalo Niagara, down from an estimate of 20,150 in 2000.

The Buffalo Niagara region had a population loss of less than 3 percent -- about 34,000 people -- between 2000 and 2010. At the same time, membership in a religious tradition fell by 31 percent, or more than a quarter of a million people.

"That's a pretty big drop," noted Dale E. Jones, who conducted data analysis and mapping for the 2010 U.S. Religion Census.

The unclaimed category consists of 514,314 people and is now the single largest segment of the Buffalo Niagara population, when compared with the area's religious groups.

[snip]

Catholicism alone lost more than a third of its members in Erie and Niagara counties -- 217,944 parishioners in all -- over the last decade, according to the census.
    A lot of my friends back home are culturally Catholic; celebrating holidays, sending their kids to Catholic school, a valued rosary always on hand. Ask them if they believe in God, and the answer is often "I don't know" or "no".

If we were all so sure of the existence of God, as presented by the Jewish and Christian Bibles, we'd be living life with the same kind of fear that exists in day-to-day North Korea, that a single misstep would earn us eternal damnation, in the same way that expressing disappointment at this month's rice ration would get you and three generations of your family shipped off from Pyongyang to Camp 22. The way most of us live our day-to-day lives is so far from the Christian, Jewish or Muslim ideal that I think most of us are, deep in our hearts, agnostic or atheist. I think we want to believe; we hope that there's some higher power out there. I think we also hope that higher power is a kind, loving, nonjudgmental God, one who recognizes that even with what see as our flaws, we're still the results of the forces they set in motion billions of years ago.

Back to your regular programming.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    doing I and I inspections today so yes, I smell like $%^& - a far cry from cruise ship inspections for certain...

Registered
    Mar 2007
    It's a nice quiet Monday in the office today... the phone lines are down!
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post

Bear
    I did six and a half years of Catholic school - 2.5 in middle school and four in high school. I do not think it was my mother's intention that parochial school education would drive me away from Catholicism and organized religion. But that pretty much did it.

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    I did six and a half years of Catholic school - 2.5 in middle school and four in high school. I do not think it was my mother's intention that parochial school education would drive me away from Catholicism and organized religion. But that pretty much did it.
    My 8 years of Catholic school did it for me. We do not attend church on a regular basis, but my daughters like going to church more than I ever did. Sometimes they even go with my mom to Catholic mass. If you force people (children) into something, they will not embrace it.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Closed thread
Page 84 of 374 FirstFirst ... 74 83 84 85 94 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 31 Dec 2011, 11:53 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141