Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 87 of 374 FirstFirst ... 77 86 87 88 97 ... LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,175 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Registered
    Sep 1999
    RJ has had a problem with his contacts for the last several days, coming home from work Mon at 8:30, and not wearing the contact in his right eye (well, he wore it today). Tonight it got excruciatingly painful, and after 2 "emergency number" calls to his eye doc weren't returned, I took him to the emergency room. Yep, "pink eye". I'm thinking of everything he's touched after rubbing his eye and then I've touched.... Anyway, talk about NO WAIT, he checked in at the desk and was whisked away by the time I parked the car. We were there maybe 30 min. It has to be a record. He's feeling a little better.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I think that I am going to have a Random thought at least 4 times a day. I think.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    I saw this odd looking Navy ship in the Gulf this afternoon.

Perhaps the Cyburbia Navy buffs can give us an idea of the purpose of the vessel. The little I know, it has something to do with littoral warfare.

Very cool to see one in the wild.

When I was in the Marines and in a smaller unit that was constantly deploying aboard ships, they were just announcing these ships would be joining the fleet in the coming years. As Marines we were really interested in these ships since one of the goals is for them to replace the amphibious assault ships used for troop transport that make up the landing force section of the fleets. In particular, they should eventually be replacing the smaller transport ships like the USS Ashland (a "landing ship dock") and the USS Austin (a "landing platform dock"). The largest ships in the landing forces, the LHAs, are due to be replaced by the new "America Class" beginning next year.

I've served on the USS Belleau Wood (LHA-3), USS Kearsarge (LHD-3), USS Saipan (LHA-2), USS Austin (LPD-4), and the USS Blue Ridge (LCC-19) and been on probably 10 or 15 other ships for anywhere from 2 to 7 days at a time (mostly other amphibious assault ships).
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

What a way to go!

Yesterday I pedalled (surprise!) to a rehearsal just a mile away. Decided to take my venerable horn instead of the nice shiny one. Decided to not use my trailer.

So I'm riding in the traffic lane in my typical vehicular style, and noticed that fellow road users (drivers) were giving me less space, urgently passing only to wait at the next light, etc. The trailer seems to afford more courtesy (probably because an overtaking driver assumes there's a child in it).

One of the near-passes inspired the thought: if I get killed doing this, the obituary will be a fun read.

I'm sure I'll run across a FB snapshot of me on my weird-looking foldie bike with a huge ancient tuba strapped on my back.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    RJ has had a problem with his contacts for the last several days, coming home from work Mon at 8:30, and not wearing the contact in his right eye (well, he wore it today). Tonight it got excruciatingly painful, and after 2 "emergency number" calls to his eye doc weren't returned, I took him to the emergency room. Yep, "pink eye". I'm thinking of everything he's touched after rubbing his eye and then I've touched.... Anyway, talk about NO WAIT, he checked in at the desk and was whisked away by the time I parked the car. We were there maybe 30 min. It has to be a record. He's feeling a little better.
    RJ has stink eye?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stink-Eye.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	4922
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I bought some homemade horseradish sauce at the farmer's market next to my office during lunch today and was all excited to eat it on some pretzels this afternoon. Of course, when I go to the office vending machines (for probably the first time in more than a year) there are no pretzels.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Aug 2005
    One the drive back to the office after an off-site meeting I almost rear-ended the car in front of me staring at an attractive man.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    One the drive back to the office after an off-site meeting I almost rear-ended the car in front of me staring at an attractive man.
    My dad was once walking through a parking lot and got hit by a car backing out of its parking space. The impact literally knocked him out of his shoes, but he was otherwise unhurt. He claims he was distracted looking at a very scantily clad attractive woman.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    You'd never have that problem where we live...

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Well I only made it to two random thoughts.... I thought I would do better...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I will be spending part of my Memorial Day weekend traveling out of state... for a funeral. The husband of a family member died suddenly of a heart attack a few days ago. He was only in his early 50s. We are all in shock. He was a wonderful husband and father to two great kids, ages 14 and 11.

I can't find an emoticon that adequately expresses how I feel.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Condolences to you and your extended family. Have a safe trip and celebrate the good memories with all concerned.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Condolences to you and your extended family. Have a safe trip and celebrate the good memories with all concerned.
    Agreed. nicely said ofos
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2005
    So sorry, MP. {{hugs}}

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    So sorry MP - the family must be devastated!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    My condolences to your family MP
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Sorry MP-heck of a way to spend part of your holiday.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    May 2005
    I am not motivated to get much done today.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I am not motivated to get much done today.
    See what Dandy says about that in this post: http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showt...754#post632754
    Oddball

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Anybody else like the Mio flavorings for water? We've been drinking the berry and the citrus ones. Very tasty mixed with v0dk@ too.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2007
    The office parking lot is full but there must only be about 20% of our department here today. I've never taken an extra day off to turn a three day weekend into a four day one. I need to wise up and do that one of these times. I considered it for today but ultimately decided against it, I'm still considering using some hours and taking the afternoon off though.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Anybody else like the Mio flavorings for water? We've been drinking the berry and the citrus ones. Very tasty mixed with v0dk@ too.
    I've been using Mio for several months now (never liked drinking water by itself...need some flavor). Good stuff. In particular like the Orange-Tangerine, Blueberry Lemonade, and Strawberry-Watermelon.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    The office parking lot is full but there must only be about 20% of our department here today. I've never taken an extra day off to turn a three day weekend into a four day one. I need to wise up and do that one of these times. I considered it for today but ultimately decided against it, I'm still considering using some hours and taking the afternoon off though.
    Glad to see you changing your thinking toward "the Zen of RJing on a friday" specially before a 3 day weekend.
    Oddball

Registered
    Dec 2008
    It's nice to hear women admit that they look at attractive men...it makes me feel less....whatever I feel about how I notice attractive women and sometimes almost rear-end cars
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner View post
    I've been using Mio for several months now (never liked drinking water by itself...need some flavor). Good stuff. In particular like the Orange-Tangerine, Blueberry Lemonade, and Strawberry-Watermelon.
    I'm a big fan of the Berry-Pomegranate. They fit nicely in my desk drawer for a little pick me up.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Closed thread
Page 87 of 374 FirstFirst ... 77 86 87 88 97 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 31 Dec 2011, 11:53 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM