Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: NY Times article - Manhattan street grid

Registered
    Aug 2005

NY Times article - Manhattan street grid

Interesting article on an exhibit at the Museum of the City of New York featuring how the "grid" impacted the development of New York City - Manhattan Street Grid

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I thought the little tid bit about the east-west streets vs. north-south streets was interesting...they just assumed people would go to the water for open space and fresh air.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Thanks for sharing this, dandy. I may have to make a trip to NYC to see the exhibit.

I've always been fascinated by NYC history. One of my favorite books about NYC history, Manhattan Moves Uptown: An Illustrated History, describes how the city developed through that grid pattern.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    Thanks for sharing this, dandy. I may have to make a trip to NYC to see the exhibit.

I've always been fascinated by NYC history. One of my favorite books about NYC history, Manhattan Moves Uptown: An Illustrated History, describes how the city developed through that grid pattern.
    MP, I, too, was thinking that the exhibit might be worth a trip to NYC. Also, thanks for sharing that book. My dad's b-day is Friday and I'm still looking for a gift for him. He loves NYC, history, design, and maps so that book might work for him!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    I'm more impressed with how much the topographical surface of Manhattan island was flattened for construction due to the imposition of the grid, as evidenced in the picture slideshow.

Can you imagine having to write the environmental impact report on this?

Registered
    Jun 2002
    If New York were to be designed today as a new town in its present location as of about 1700, do you think it would be a grid layout design?

Why, or why not?

What is considered the most common fault of the current plan from a city planning aspect?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 28 Aug 2013, 10:15 AM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last post: 23 Sep 2010, 10:46 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 17 May 2007, 11:55 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last post: 04 May 2006, 9:52 AM
  5. Master Street Grid
    Transportation Planning