Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: UGH. Two local radio stations are already playing Christmas Music :(

UGH. Two local radio stations are already playing Christmas Music :(

Well, not really local because they are owned by those awful right-wing conglomerates Clear Channel or Cumulous

They have been doing so since at least November 9 - continuous X-Mas music. This is way, way too early, plus the songs they are playing are the same old tired once I've been hearing for decades. Worse still, the loop is only about 6 or 7 hours before you hear the same ones again. This has been going on for at least seven or eight years now, with it seemingly starting earlier in November each year. Call me a Scrooge, but I don't want to think about X-Mas in early November.

Anyone else experiencing this in their market? Who is buying into this crap? Obviously it is successful in the ratings or they wouldn't keep doing it.

*takes both stations off of pre-set*

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    There's a Christmas-like song I hear on radio stations all year 'round now - Viva La Vida by Coldplay.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I am clearly in the minority, but I listen to Christmas music from October 19 until December 31st. I don't buy it that Halloween and Thanksgiving are holidays worth listening to music about....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Still to early I tell you.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    All of this premature Christmas makes me tired of Christmas by Dec. 15.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Super Amputee Cat View post

They have been doing so since at least November 9 - continuous X-Mas music. This is way, way too early, plus the songs they are playing are the same old tired once I've been hearing for decades. Worse still, the loop is only about 6 or 7 hours before you hear the same ones again. This has been going on for at least seven or eight years now, with it seemingly starting earlier in November each year. Call me a Scrooge, but I don't want to think about X-Mas in early November.
    I'm with you on the "it's way too early for Christmas crap music". We were at Frye's over the weekend, and they had cheezy X-mas music and a large Christmas display out already. Boo Hiss!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    There's a Christmas-like song I hear on radio stations all year 'round now - Viva La Vida by Coldplay.
    Them's fightin' words to RJ!

I believe that Christmas decorations and music should not be allowed until after Thanksgiving.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 9
    Last post: 21 Nov 2011, 4:22 PM
  2. Radio Stations
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 04 Nov 2009, 3:51 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 11 Dec 2007, 10:59 AM
  4. Favorite radio stations
    Friday Afternoon Club