Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: In the public eye

Registered
    Feb 2004

In the public eye

We've heard it said that fear of death is the second most common fear. Fear of speaking in public, however, is number one. As planners many of us must speak in public in connection with our work, and while some may not feel very self-conscious or nervous in such situations other situations where the spotlight is on us makes for serious discomfort.

How well do you handle being the center of attention? Has time made it any easier for you to endure those moments in the limelight?

On a scale of 0-10 (0 being not at all nervous and 10 meaning you require sedation) how nervous or self-conscious do you feel in the following situations?

A. Having your photo taken at a family reunion
    B. Photo taken as a participant in a sporting event (running, swimming, etc)
    C. Public speaking in connection with work
    D. Wedding toast
    E. Performing on stage
    F. Guest of honor at an awards ceremony
    G. Televised interview
    H. Court deposition or on witness stand

Registered
    Apr 2003
    (3) A. Having your photo taken at a family reunion (I am not a fan of photos)
    (4) B. Photo taken as a participant in a sporting event (running, swimming, etc) (still not a fan of photos)
    (0) C. Public speaking in connection with work (I am paid to be prepared, clear, concise, and confident... and right. I believe that being nervous undermines credibility.)
    (1) D. Wedding toast (As long as I am prepared and not drunk it is a cake walk, hmmm, wedding cake...)
    (1) E. Performing on stage (The field is the stage and I was in a drumline. IT'S GAME TIME BABY)
    (1) F. Guest of honor at an awards ceremony (I have spent more time as the MC, but it is important to be warm and gracious for what others are willing to do for you)
    (8) G. Televised interview - (something about not seeing the audience freaks me the heck out. Crazy thing is my dad has been a professional radio dj his whole life. )
    (1) H. Court deposition or on witness stand (I just make sure I am prepared, be bright, be brief, and be gone)
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I am what you would call a Type "A" personality. Not much gets me nervous. I would say that the only things on your list are wedding speech - because it means so much, and court disposition - because you want to be correct.

Otherwise put me in a fish bowl...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    0 A. Having your photo taken at a family reunion
    0 B. Photo taken as a participant in a sporting event (running, swimming, etc)
    2 C. Public speaking in connection with work
    2-5 (depending on level of alcohol already comsumed) D. Wedding toast
    3 (used to be involved in theatre) E. Performing on stage
    ? (nervoous doesn't describe that emotion) F. Guest of honor at an awards ceremony
    5 G. Televised interview
    5 (knowing your materail and waiting for the opposing lawyer to try & play games with your answers) H. Court deposition or on witness stand
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Oct 2005
    0 - Having your photo taken at a family reunion
    2 - Photo taken as a participant in a sporting event (running, swimming, etc) (I need to look good doing it)
    2-7 - Public speaking in connection with work (depends on size and hostility of crowd)
    2 - Wedding toast (liquid courage)
    2-7- Performing on stage (depends if I'm in a group and what size the smaller the more nervous)
    4 - Guest of honor at an awards ceremony
    8 - Televised interview (have done it once for the 10 o'clock evening news in former job, had to do like 3 takes to get my thoughts out, when that light goes on it's hard not to freeze up)
    NA - Court deposition or on witness stand (never done)

Registered
    May 2005
    I was a super shy kid. So much so that ordering food at a fast food restaurant gave me anxiety. What if they ask me some unexpected question like whether I want pickles?!

I don't know what happened, but somewhere along the line I not only overcame this shyness, but I actually LIKE public speaking and performing. I have even considered trying out for a community theater play. This is very unlike me as a kid. My parents would be shocked.

I will rate the activities, but I do find, especially when it comes to speaking or performing, that there is always a bit of nervousness for me. But that is the essential ingredient to rehearsing/practicing what I have to say enough to feel confident once I get going. I guess I would describve it as nervous excitement. It makes a huge difference, for example, to make a presentation or make a big toast when you know what you want to say rather than reading from a piece of paper. So, I am always a little nervous if performing in any fashion, but its not a deterrant. Its just the kick in the pants needed to make sure I am prepared.

In general, I am only nervous if I have to perform. Being in a picture, or even only having my own picture taken, does not bother me in the slightest.

0 - A. Having your photo taken at a family reunion
    0 - B. Photo taken as a participant in a sporting event (running, swimming, etc)
    3 - C. Public speaking in connection with work
    5 - D. Wedding toast
    7 - E. Performing on stage
    6 - F. Guest of honor at an awards ceremony
    9 - G. Televised interview (this would make the most nervous for some reason. I get similarly nervous on the radio, which I have done many times. I thin not seeing an audience is discombobulating to me)6 - H. Court deposition or on witness stand
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    On a scale of 0-10 (0 being not at all nervous and 10 meaning you require sedation) how nervous or self-conscious do you feel in the following situations?

D. Wedding toast
    E. Performing on stage
    G. Televised interview
    A.-N/A-what's left of my family doesn't do reunions
    B.-N/A-don't particpate in sports where pix are shot-I'm a gym rat
    C.-2-I did speech team/debate team in HS-no problem with public speaking
    D.-N/A-haven't been to a wedding in years
    E.-7-really not my thing
    F.-7-never gonna happen, but if it did, would scare the !@#$ out of me.
    G.-0-I've done enough of it, so no big deal
    H.-5-I've done it enough that it doesn't scare me. I just don't like the dirty tricks and the gotcha crap lawyers pull.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    May 2004
    I used to be terribly shy/nervous in public speaking type situations. I've done it so much over the years for my job that it no longer really bothers me. But lately I've been getting into performing musically and that is where I struggle with the nerves

A. Having your photo taken at a family reunion - 0
    B. Photo taken as a participant in a sporting event (running, swimming, etc) -0
    C. Public speaking in connection with work - 2
    D. Wedding toast - 4
    E. Performing on stage -8
    F. Guest of honor at an awards ceremony - 5
    G. Televised interview - 3
    H. Court deposition or on witness stand -2
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    How well do you handle being the center of attention? Has time made it any easier for you to endure those moments in the limelight?
    HATE it. No.

I am a lot less shy than I used to be, but I still don't open up much until I get to know people. On a personal level, I don't like the center of attention on me at all, I'm the one behind the scenes making sure everything runs smoothly.

0 - B. Photo taken as a participant in a sporting event (running, swimming, etc)
    2 - C. Public speaking in connection with work Speaking about something I know about is typically not a problem for me at all. I would be more nervous presenting something to my colleagues as opposed to the public.
    4 - D. Wedding toast Speaking in front of family and friends isn't the issue, it's hard for me to verbalize what I'm thinking and how I feel
    8 - E. Performing on stage Hated piano recitals when I was younger, very nervous. Haven't done anything like that since, but assume it'd still be hard for me unless it was something I know I would excel at
    10 - F. Guest of honor at an awards ceremony Hate being the center of attention
    6 - G. Televised interview Again, if it was something I am confident I know, it's not as much an issue.
    4 - H. Court deposition or on witness stand Ditto C and G. Although being called as an "expert witness" is a little intimidating

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I had to do one deposition and I thought it was fun. The attorney didn't do a very good job and I enjoyed screwing with him. I actually helped him form one of his questions. The one wedding toast I did, I had had a partial denture installed the day before. It didn't do well.
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Dec 2010
    A. Having your photo taken at a family reunion - 0
    B. Photo taken as a participant in a sporting event (running, swimming, etc) -0
    C. Public speaking in connection with work - 5 Still new to the job, so it can still be a little nerve-wracking at times, but nothing I feel I can't handle
    D. Wedding toast - 3 (a little liquid courage should make this easy enough)
    E. Performing on stage - 3 To me playing an instrument in front of people is far easier than speaking, and in general people who don't play will be impressed by your skill, even if you aren't amazing. Playing something solo can definitely be a lot more pressure than playing with a band...
    F. Guest of honor at an awards ceremony - 4 Seems it would be a bit scary, but the positivity of the occasion would help
    G. Televised interview - 10 Never had to do this, but it sounds very intimidating
    H. Court deposition or on witness stand - 8 especially if I am supposed to be considered an "expert", this would be pretty intimidating too.
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    2 - C. Public speaking in connection with work
    1 - D. Wedding toast
    2 - E. Performing on stage
    0 - F. Guest of honor at an awards ceremony
    2 - G. Televised interview
    2 - H. Court deposition or on witness stand

Prior to planning, I was probably an 8 or 9 in the speaking/performing areas. The exception was that I never had a fear of getting up and doing a narration from written text, even if it was a cold read. After 10 years of forcing myself to present in public hearings, I lost most of my fear. I actually enjoy getting up in front of large groups and speaking now even without prior notice.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    0 - A. Having your photo taken at a family reunion (Never nervous about having a planned picture taken. Now being self-conscious once I see the photo, that's a different story. 85% of the time, I hate how my picture ends up. Not very photogenic. I find this often gets better with time though...like once a picture of me is 5 years old, I guess I get used to it.)

0 - B. Photo taken as a participant in a sporting event (running, swimming, etc) (Has not really applied to me, though I don't think I would be nervous)

4 - C. Public speaking in connection with work (It depends. I've become a little bit more rusty with this now that I'm not in a public planning role. If I'm prepared and/or it's a smaller group (esp. one I'm used to), I'm not as nervous. If it's a big group, I have to speak off the cuff, and it's an unfamiliar audience, it's a different story.)

9 - D. Wedding toast (Incredibly nervous because it's a very meaningful speech that I don't want to f- up and a lot of people I don't want to let down. Even though I've written my speech and used a notecard at both of my brothers' weddings, I was still pretty nervous. I pulled it off both times though, and everyone loved my toasts.)

2 - E. Performing on stage (Karaoke after a drink or two...I absolutely love it and am very comfortable doing this. I'm usually a little nervous beforehand, but as soon as the music starts, my performance takes over, the nervousness disappears, and I proceed to own the audience.)

7 - F. Guest of honor at an awards ceremony (Usually quite nervous with these, especially if I have to speak. But even if I'm not, there's always the nervousness because you never know if there will be surprises and you're always thinking about trying to be respectful and humble and not f- up and look like a fool.)

7 - G. Televised interview (The Chicago news media spontaneously jumped out in front of me with their news cameras when I was protesting Rod Blagojevich at a parade in 2006. I was nervous, but it was hard to tell if it was because I was protesting or because it was the media. Probably moreso the protesting. The interview lasted all of 30 seconds and was very easy. If I was engaged in a more in-depth interview especially something more work-related or personal-related, I'd likely be more nervous.)

9 - H. Court deposition or on witness stand (Haven't really had to do this. But I would probably be pretty nervous, and of course moreso depending on the severity and potential consequences of the situation.)
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Aug 2001
    A. Having your photo taken at a family reunion (N/A)
    B. Photo taken as a participant in a sporting event (running, swimming, etc) (0)
    C. Public speaking in connection with work (0)
    D. Wedding toast (N/A)
    E. Performing on stage (N/A)
    F. Guest of honor at an awards ceremony (N/A)
    G. Televised interview (0)
    H. Court deposition or on witness stand (1)

It helps to be incredibly handsome. It keeps the audience's mind off the message.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    We've heard it said that fear of death is the second most common fear. Fear of speaking in public, however, is number one. As planners many of us must speak in public in connection with our work, and while some may not feel very self-conscious or nervous in such situations other situations where the spotlight is on us makes for serious discomfort.

D. Wedding toast
    E. Performing on stage
    G. Televised interview
    A. We don't have reunions, but if we did I wouldn't care. 0
    B. I would never be a participant, only a spectator. N/A
    C. Public speaking for work, if it's a small to mid size crowd that I knew most of the people probably a 2-3, if it's large and unknown probably a 5.
    D. Wedding toast. 0
    E. I will preserve my dignity and spare others the torture. 10
    F. I tend to be modest in nature. 3
    G: Preserved for all posterity? 7
    H. I've been a witness before and it depends on the cross examiner. 2
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 31 Jul 2011, 5:07 PM
  2. Ivy vs. public
    Student Commons
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 01 Jul 2010, 9:52 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 10 Sep 2009, 7:30 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 01 Apr 1997, 10:15 PM