Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Winter Weather Preparation

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Winter Weather Preparation

Living here in Michigan, people will do crazy things when they start preparing for winter. For example, people with trucks or rear wheel drive cars (who drives those anymore) might put sand bags in the back for added weight. They can also empty out some of the sand into the ground in front of the tires if they get stuck. Others will put blankets, candles, and boots, and an extra set of clothes in their car in the event they end up in a ditch.

Houses in Michigan are also subject to changes. Just today, I put the plastic shrink rap window film on the inside of my windows. Back in October, I pulled all the window AC units, closed the vents to several unused rooms, tuned up the furnaces (yes, we have two of them), put rope caulk around two of the doors that we don't use during the window (yep, two doors too), and put an insulation pad around the water heater. I also spent two full days in the attic with several cans of fire rated "Great Stuff" sealing up any holes in the 2nd floor ceiling where light fixtures, vent stacks, gas lines, or wires rise up into the attic floor. Downfall is I am sure that I missed most of them, so next summer, I will take a few days and go extreme and make sure that the house is as tight as possible.

What do you do to get your house and car ready for winter? Do people in the south do much of anything?
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I don't do much to prepare but I do throw the tow strap into the back of my Jeep in case of emergencies; when I know a massive snow is coming, I put the winch back onto the front bumper... who knows when I might be able to make a quick $20 pulling somebody out of a ditch.

Other than that, I clean the gutters, push the BBQ to a spot protected from the snow and ice, and buy a bucket of salt for the front porch and steps. This year I was tempted to contract with somebody to plow my driveway but never got around to it. So far my procrastination has paid off, at least for November and December since we have had roughly only 3" of measurable snow all season... I haven't even needed to get my snow shovel out of the attic!

This year I was going to get the plastic shrink wrap stuff for the large windows and doorwall facing the back of the house but never got around to it.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I closed up the three-season porch a couple months ago. Each year we cover the windows with large plexi-glass sheets and use the porch as a walk-in cooler (usually maintains temps roughly the same as a refrigerator for three to four months of the year). Did not get around to putting the shrink wrap plastic up this year but at least put the storm windows down. Usually I'll get a couple cords of wood in the fall for the fireplace insert (supplemental heat, you know) but I happened to have gotten a larger load last year and havent needed to burn much this winter. This is the warmest winter so far that I've seen in Mich.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    What winter weather?

We put a couple blankets in the car. Otherwise when there is a the threat of any wintry mix, there is some requirement here that you have to run to the grocery store and get milk and bread. I've never understood that.

NC weather is different from you upper midwest Cyburbians. This weekend we had the heat on, then turned off, then even opend a couple windows on Saturday.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    What is this winter you speak of? There is nothing to prepare for. We've had snow maybe 3X since I've been here. It was maybe a couple of inches and was gone by noon.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I bought a cord of wood for the fireplace about 8 years ago. It will last me another 8. About all I do for winter is make sure that the outside faucets have those styrofoam "house bras" in place and that the screens and storm windows are where they need to be for the weather. I have one of my windshield ice scrapers, a blanket and a sleeping bag in the car, mostly for long trips.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Sep 1999
    We put the pool floaties in the garage, switch the pool pump/solar heater to run overnight in non-peak hours, bring the potted bamboo indoors, and wrap a string of mini holiday lights around the pomegranate for cold nights.

I also try to remember to turn off the sprinkler system if we're going to get a hard freeze.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    On really cold nights, I bring the brass monkeys inside.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We do not do too much with the house other than turn off the outside faucets and cover the AC unit. I do bring in enough firewood to last through the winter, though if we ever had to rely on the fireplace for warmth I would have to tap the outside pile.

There is a shovel and scraper in the car, along with an emergency kit with high-powered flashlight, flares, blanket, etc. Since it is a Subaru (AWD) I can get through most weather if I drive right. On longer trips I will pack a change of clothes, snacks, and other items I might need if I have to overnight in the car or get a hotel.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jul 2011
    I closed a window.

Seriously, it rained once and the water got in.

I hate winter.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I change the setting on the thermostat to the heat-pump from "cool" to "heat". I'll switch it back in a month or so.

Quote Originally posted by Tarf View post
    I closed a window.

Seriously, it rained once and the water got in.

I hate winter.
    That's funny stuff right there.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    On really cold nights, I bring the brass monkeys inside.
    Wouldn't want their b...s to freeze off!

I'll need to get some firewood for the new house but that's about all. It snowed here last year which was a once-in-20-years event.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Winter Weather Preparation? What's that? ha ha ha ha, Wilmington, NC ... OUT.

I'm sorry, Planit has it right, Heat pump on at night, AC on during the day.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 49
    Last post: 29 Nov 2006, 6:45 PM
  2. Interview Preparation
    APA Los Angeles Section (archive)
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 17 Oct 2005, 12:03 AM
  3. Replies: 26
    Last post: 27 Sep 2002, 4:43 PM
  4. AICP preparation
    Career Development and Advice