Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Finding population at a percentage of area median income

Registered
    Dec 2008

Finding population at a percentage of area median income

I am trying to find how many people live at a certain % of the area median income. I can find the area median income and the population in each income cohort from the census but I can't find how to get specific numbers. For example, if the AMI is $62,000 but the income cohort is from $60,000 -$69,999 how to I get more specific than that? Does anyone have some suggestions? Thanks.
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    May 2005
    HUD is the one setting these AMI thresholds, so you may try poking around on their site or call your local PJ (Particpating Jurisdiction) office and ask. The reality, though, is I am not sure if they can get that specific, especially in an economy changing as fast as it currently is. It is also complicated by household size, making estimates of actual number of people a little challenging - that is, AMI for a household of 6 is different than for a household of 4. This is total number of people live in the home, regardless of whether they are of working age or not.

You can assume that half the people in the defined "area" are below and half above the AMI threshold (median being the absolute middle number, not the average). However, when you start talking about percentages of AMI, that won't apply, so I don't know what to say about that beyond contacting your local HUD office. But it gives you some benchmark and perhaps they can narrow it down further.

Good luckl.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    HUD is the one setting these AMI thresholds, so you may try poking around on their site or call your local PJ (Particpating Jurisdiction) office and ask. The reality, though, is I am not sure if they can get that specific, especially in an economy changing as fast as it currently is. It is also complicated by household size, making estimates of actual number of people a little challenging - that is, AMI for a household of 6 is different than for a household of 4. This is total number of people live in the home, regardless of whether they are of working age or not.

Good luck.
    That's a cool way to think about it. For a snapshot in time, you need the distribution in that cohort, but you also may want average to compare the skewness of the median average to tell whether there are, say, 147 or 129 out of, say 22,944 there. Skewness is important because the 1% may be skewing the median income (or conversely the bottom 80% may be).

-------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

While not exactly where you're looking for, these two links may be of help:

30%, 50%, 60%, 80% of AMI

http://www.hud.gov/offices/cpd/affor...s/income/2011/

120% of AMI

http://www.huduser.org/portal/datase...its_50_120.xls

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by ColoGI View post
    That's a cool way to think about it. For a snapshot in time, you need the distribution in that cohort, but you also may want average to compare the skewness of the median average to tell whether there are, say, 147 or 129 out of, say 22,944 there. Skewness is important because the 1% may be skewing the median income (or conversely the bottom 80% may be).

Isn't skewness more of an issue with mean than median?

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I think I can use ERSI BAO to find that for you. I am off today but PM me next week with the area and I will run it through. The data will probably be from the ACS 2005-2009 survey.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by estromberg;619891
    Isn't skewness more of an issue with mean than median?
    It may - depends on the data. I'm interested in the outcome of the interesting question. One can guess at all kinds of reasons for the question!
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Jan 2012

stroskey, did you find the info

I am looking for the same information.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 03 Jan 2013, 10:39 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last post: 31 Mar 2009, 2:35 PM
  3. Median household income
    Economic and Community Development