Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 College Football Thread

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Who Chopped Down The Buckeye Tree?

Couple of theOhio State football players arrested yesterday (Saturday, 6-2-12). Probably much ado about nothing but it was fun to kid my spouse, Katie, about the arrests.

Katie: "Yeah, like that doesn't happen to Michigan players."
    Bear: "The guys arrested were Buckeyes."
    Katie: "Go screw yourself."

Note: Hi, Hink!

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    Couple of theOhio State football players arrested yesterday (Saturday, 6-2-12). Probably much ado about nothing but it was fun to kid my spouse, Katie, about the arrests.

Bear
    Wow, they must have needed some street cred so they could play for the Bengals.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post

Bear
    She does have a point.

http://annarbor.com/news/crime/u-m-d...ive-wolverines
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Even at Michigan State

But fortunately, none of the cases were as bad as TCU

But I'll have to give Katie some props despite her misguided Buckeye attachment.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Even at Michigan State

But fortunately, none of the cases were as bad as TCU

But I'll have to give Katie some props despite her misguided Buckeye attachment.
    That was over a year ago! You can't come up with something more recent thant that??

P.S. - Basketball players don't count.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Sadly, it seems kids that are given so much, continually do stupid things.

Stonebrunner could have been a pretty good TE in the NFL. Now he is benched. Idiot.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jan 2005
    So what do we make of the four team BCS playoff? I would've liked to see 8 teams

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    I don't have a problem with it unless certain conferences get preference over others. Like I have issue with the idea of a 1 loss SEC team getting preference over an undefeated ACC team.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Blide View post
    Like I have issue with the idea of a 1 loss SEC team getting preference over an undefeated ACC team.
    I think they're keeping the same BCS formula, so these type of controversies will still happen.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    When they did away with the conference champion requirement, they opened up the door to the SEC favoritism being alive and well. Hopefully the committee will be comprised of lots of conference heads without weight given to any one conference.

I think this will be good for college football. I also love the moving championship game. I think seeing championship games in great stadiums would be amazing. Instead of just having warm climate games we could see a championship played out in Michigan in January.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2005
    I've really soured on college athletics the past year, especially college football. This is unfortunate to me, because college football is near the tops of my favorite sports.

The recent conference realignments and the Bowl System/BCS/playoff merryground has made me realize that not only is it not about the student-athletes (which I can accept), it is also NOT about finding out which team is the best.

It's about cold hard cash baby. And believe me, there are some pockets getting seriously lined.

I will always be a die-hard Michigan State fan. But I don't think I'll ever care as much as I used too. And that's doubly hard to say now that the Spartans are a consisent force in Big 10 football.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    When they did away with the conference champion requirement, they opened up the door to the SEC favoritism being alive and well.
    I fail to see a problem with that.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Not that the emails obtained by CNN show that PSU offficials including Joe Paterno covered-up Sandusky's crimes, does PSU get sanctioned by the NCAA?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I know that bubba is depressed since UGA lost the star running back. Instead of spending the next three years breaking records, he'll probably do the next three years in the federal pen league.

Having a concelled weapon is one thing. Having a conceled weapon with altered serial numbers in something else entirely. Well at least its not his first time playing against the po-po.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    I know that bubba is depressed since UGA lost the star running back. Instead of spending the next three years breaking records, he'll probably do the next three years in the federal pen league.

Having a concelled weapon is one thing. Having a conceled weapon with altered serial numbers in something else entirely. Well at least its not his first time playing against the po-po.
    Yeah..I really hope Crowell gets himself straightened out, but there's enough depth at RB now that the team should be able to absorb the loss.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

I wonder if Penn State will end up getting the death penalty after the damning Freeh report was released today? It's certainly going to get really ugly, really soon now. Paterno's reputation is destroyed, all to protect the institution. I wonder whether anyone will learn the lesson?
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    I wonder if Penn State will end up getting the death penalty after the damning Freeh report was released today? It's certainly going to get really ugly, really soon now. Paterno's reputation is destroyed, all to protect the institution. I wonder whether anyone will learn the lesson?
    I think that Penn State is going to be a wake up call to all programs. Unfortunately, Joe wasn't as clean or honest as everyone thought. His family is trying to do damage control, but in the end, he probably shouldn't be the icon he was held up to be...

My hope is that this will make programs become cleaner. Just as I hoped for Ohio State when they were caught red handed trying to hide stupid things. College football is about money. They have very little accountability, and at this point have very little to do with the institutions they are associated with. Hopefully schools will become more serious about their oversight instead of just wanting a successful team that might get their name out there and bring in tv revenue.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    I wonder if Penn State will end up getting the death penalty after the damning Freeh report was released today?
    From the NCAA? Doubtful - what happened really doesn't fit their definition of "lack of institutional control". Could the Board of Trustees shut down the program in the best interest of the University? Possibly, but I hope not for the sake of the kids currently on the team. I'd just like to see them put into place (and actually follow) very strict guidelines on how to deal with employee misconduct, and fire anyone that's still on the payroll who had any knowledge of what went on with Sandusky.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    From the NCAA? Doubtful - what happened really doesn't fit their definition of "lack of institutional control". Could the Board of Trustees shut down the program in the best interest of the University? Possibly, but I hope not for the sake of the kids currently on the team. I'd just like to see them put into place (and actually follow) very strict guidelines on how to deal with employee misconduct, and fire anyone that's still on the payroll who had any knowledge of what went on with Sandusky.
    To be fair, the "lack of institutional control" reasoning has been applied pretty selectively in recent years. So I don't think it would be out of the realm of possibility to conclude, in this case, that there was a lack of institutional control. Although maybe it was more of a case of the nefarious use of institutional control to cover-up allegations of very serious crimes by one of their own at Penn State.

I'm in the camp that the NCAA has to do something. Ohio St. gets hit with a one-year bowl ban because Jim Tressel lied about some tattoos and nothing happens at Penn St. when they cover-up the crimes of a sexual predator?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    In other developments, the president of the NCAA says he isn’t ruling out the possibility of shutting down the Penn State football program.

In a PBS interview Monday, NCAA president Mark Emmert said he doesn’t want to ‘‘take anything off the table’’ if the NCAA determines penalties against Penn State are warranted.

Emmert said he’s ‘‘never seen anything as egregious as this in terms of just overall conduct and behavior inside a university.’’
    Not looking good for PSU after the NCAA Pres. makes comments like this. I wouldn't be surprised if they get the death penalty.

Registered
    Aug 2005

Penn State

Not the "death penalty", but the NCAA pretty much crushed the Penn State football program:

$60 Million fine with the money to going to charity.
    4 year postseason ban
    15 per year scholarships for 4 years (a loss of 10 per year)
    Any current players can transfer and play instantly.
    All wins vacated from 1998-2011
    5 years probation

The Big TenElevenTwelve has also indicated that PSU's share of bowl revenue over the next four years will go to charity.
    Last edited by Bubba; 23 Jul 2012 at 11:51 AM.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    Not the "death penalty", but the NCAA pretty much crushed the Penn State football program:

$60 Million fine with the money to going to charity.
    4 year postseason ban
    15 per year scholarships for 4 years (a loss of 10 per year)
    Any current players can transfer and play instantly.
    All wins vacated from 1998-2011
    5 years probation

The Big TenElevenTwelve has also indicated that PSU's share of bowl revenue over the next four years will go to charity.
    It is the death penalty in everything but name. Kudos though to the NCAA in letting the players transfer without penalty. Although school is about to begin so if the transfer now they will be a year behind and probably will not have a scholarship until next year anyway.

Personally, I was hoping for the death penalty. The football program covered up a child rapist and it appears than most of the staff either knew or had a good idea what was occuring. What has to happen for the NCAA to actually invoke the death penalty?
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Jan 2005
    The Big 10 will actually have 10 teams available for bowls this year.... interesting.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    What has to happen for the NCAA to actually invoke the death penalty?
    SMU got it for being a repeat violator (major violations while still on probation), but Morehouse College (D-II here in Atlanta) had their men's soccer team shut down for a couple of seasons for a first major violation (knowingly using former professional players, including in some games before they even enrolled).

What PSU received today may well be worse than a one-year shutdown would have been...

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I'm calling for the Paterno statue to be re-installed after the bronze feet are replaced with clay ones.

Closed thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. 2013 College Football Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 300
    Last post: 07 Jan 2014, 2:00 PM
  2. 2011 College Football Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 385
    Last post: 11 Jan 2012, 3:15 PM