Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 College Football Thread

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Michigan is just not good. They were overrated based on their pretty lucky 2011 season. Next year when they lose Denard, they are going to go back to being worthless.

You have just let DR go, or the offense is nothing. If you put him in a box, they are screwed. He can't throw, and their running game outside of him is weak.

AF isn't that good. Michigan is just that bad.

The Big10 this year is bad. I was hoping for some bright light, but it seems that the SEC is going to crush the competition again this year. Let's go Wisconsin and Michigan State!
    Michigan goes from a proset to a spread run first option to pro set. It is going to take 3 more years for Hoyke to get the players he needs but he will probably be fired before then.

It looks like Nebraska will go to the Rose Bowl and get a rematch against UCLA.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand

Top 25 games of note

Teams are starting to get into the meat of their schedules in Week 3, although a few teams had actual contests last week (Florida v. Texas A&M) while some had a cupcake upset them (Arkansas v. UL-Monroe).

Top 25 teams with interesting games for Week 3 include:
    Michigan State (10) vs. Notre Dame (20)
    USC (2) vs. Stanford (21)
    Florida (18) vs. Tennessee (23)

Could be interesting games:
    Alabama (1) vs. Arkansas
    Virginia Tech (13) vs. Pitt
    OSU (12) vs. Cal
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jan 2005
    ^ Florida vs. Tennessee should be a good game, but I like Florida +3.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Could be interesting games:
    Alabama (1) vs. Arkansas
    Maybe if you like the shower scenes in prison movies.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Apr 2006
    tOSU looked terrible against Cal...the BIG 10 should change its name to the BIG MAC.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon
    ...the BIG 10 should change its name to the BIG MAC.
    I think the Big East has dibs on that name.
    Last edited by Gedunker; 16 Sep 2012 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tag
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    tOSU looked terrible against Cal...the BIG 10 should change its name to the BIG MAC.
    Heard that Big 10+ teams were 0-8 vs. ranked opponents. Thats not a good stat.

Florida did the old rope-a-dope on Tenn. The Gators owned the 2nd half in Knoxville. Thats twice in a row and both away from the Swamp.

Sparty, where were ya?
    Lane Kiffin is licking his wounds.
    Sure smelled like bacon in Fayetteville.
    VaTech had a surprise.
    Bucky almost gave in to Cal.
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I'll tell you what.... this season should be interesting.

I think the Big10 is REALLY weak this year. Ohio State might be the best team, and they can't even win a game against Cal. Although to be fair their offense is MUCH better than it was last year... it just seems their defense has gotten MUCH worse.

- Florida State is the real deal.
    - Oregon v. Alabama in the championship game....
    - I don't think Stanford should have jumped up 12 spots in the rankings. They aren't that good.
    - Notre Dame looked amazing against Michigan State. They made the Spartans look awful on D.
    - The Utah v. BYU game was crazy....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 2007

Florida did the old rope-a-dope on Tenn. The Gators owned the 2nd half in Knoxville. Thats twice in a row and both away from the Swamp.
    Good thing I didn't start watching the game until the second half...the camera shots of the Tennessee fans during the second half told the whole story
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Florida State versus Clemson this weekend should be interesting. Will just have to see whether Clemson's defense implodes like it did with West Virginia. If It doesn't, it should be a pretty good game. Although anything can happen in the ACC since their teams seem to have no consistency.

Speaking of, Notre Dame definitely got a sweetheart deal in semi-joining the ACC. They can go to bowls over teams with a slightly better records which seems kind of messed up to me. It sounds like a 0 loss FSU would lose out to a 1 loss Notre Dame for going to the Orange Bowl. Wouldn't be surprised if the big football programs like FSU and Clemson would be looking to jump ship over that.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Blide View post
    Wouldn't be surprised if the big football programs like FSU and Clemson would be looking to jump ship over that.
    FSU made some noise earlier this year about jumping to the Big 12...I'm guessing they now wish they'd pulled the trigger on that. The buyout to leave the ACC has been raised to $50 million.
    Last edited by Bubba; 17 Sep 2012 at 12:02 PM.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    The buyout to leave the ACC has been raised $50 million.
    I've heard some say that the amount is so absurd that there's no way that would hold up.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff View post
    Maybe if you like the shower scenes in prison movies.
    I saw part of the game at the Y. Your description is apt.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    I saw part of the game at the Y. Your description is apt.

I know. It makes me very sad...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Mar 2005

Games of interest Week 4

Schedules continue - nobody has hit the meat of theirs yet, but here are a few interesting matchups:

BYU vs. Boise State
    Michigan vs. Notre Dame
    Clemson vs. Florida State
    Kansas State vs. Oklahoma
    Arizona vs. Oregon

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Clemson vs. Florida State
    This one is interesting, as it represents FSU's first test of any sort this season...win big in this one and they might actually be able to run the table.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    This one is interesting, as it represents FSU's first test of any sort this season...win big in this one and they might actually be able to run the table.
    The Noles looked really good. With that showing against a good Clemson team they deserved to be ranked above LSU IMO (who squeaked by Auburn)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    The Noles looked really good. With that showing against a good Clemson team they deserved to be ranked above LSU IMO (who squeaked by Auburn)
    LSU probably shouldn't have won. The problem is that the 'Noles have been down lately, and LSU has been up. So instead of giving credit where credit is due, you look at the scope of work over the past couple years, and let LSU still be ranked highly. The fact that Clemson dropped so far speaks volumes to this system.

I will never understand how a team drops in the rankings when they lose a close game or well played game against a team that is ranked higher then them. They should have lost, why are they punished?
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Apr 2006
    LSU probably shouldn't have won. The problem is that the 'Noles have been down lately, and LSU has been up. So instead of giving credit where credit is due, you look at the scope of work over the past couple years, and let LSU still be ranked highly. The fact that Clemson dropped so far speaks volumes to this system.

I will never understand how a team drops in the rankings when they lose a close game or well played game against a team that is ranked higher then them. They should have lost, why are they punished?
    I agree...I think they should do a preseason poll and then not another one until mid October. They only reason for the preseason poll is to allow the networks the ability to tought rankings in important non conference games.

How many times has a week team risen into the top 10 because they had a favorable schedule then they play a solid team and get crushed. Let's say Oregon State is a top flight team and goes 11-1...since they did not start ranked they will be lucky to make it into the top 10 but if they started the season at #18 then they could easily make it to the top and probably get a BCS at large.

I accept its a flawed system since you have 120 teams in the FBS and so many of them play FCS teams early in the season. This is a major reason why I wanted 4 super conferences where they only played each other with the possible exception for one game. The conference winners face each other for the national championship. Release everyone else to the bowls where NIU and and Boise St can also be invited. IMO if you do not win your conference then you should not be able to compete for a national title.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    What's even funnier is that Clemson already beat Auburn this season.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    The whiny Irish eke out a win again Michigan and decide to end the series. Michigan leads all-time series 23-16-1.

Come on Fighting Irish, join a conference in football too.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Come on Fighting Irish, join a conference in football too.
    They're headed to the ACC..

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    They're headed to the ACC..
    All other sports except for the football team. Don't want to share that NBC contract with the hoi polloi.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    They'll still play 5 ACC teams a year and can represent the ACC in bowl games. Notre Dame gets all the perks of being independent but none of the down sides.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    All other sports except for the football team. Don't want to share that NBC contract with the hoi polloi.
    From something I heard a long time ago, "ND Football Program is like the hot girl who flirts with mediocre guys just to piss off their girlfriends. Everyone else in the room know that they are not getting any, but even a slim possiblity of success makes guys ignore the sure thing that's sitting next to them."

Then in the end they take the kiss at the door (everything but Football) and think they just scored.
    @GigCityPlanner

Closed thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. 2013 College Football Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 300
    Last post: 07 Jan 2014, 2:00 PM
  2. 2011 College Football Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 385
    Last post: 11 Jan 2012, 3:15 PM