Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 246

Thread: 2012 College Football Thread

  1. #151
    OH....IO Hink's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hang on Sloopy...land
    Posts
    9,744
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    It means nothing because...

    They play in the BIG MAC conference?
    They are not allowed to play in the post season?
    -or-
    All of the above
    They are ranked 9th in the country and most likely would be higher if they mattered. If they beat Michigan and won the Big 10 conference they would most likely be ranked in the top 5.

    It means nothing because once they beat Michigan the season ends and I can't enjoy my seasonal bowl game. I means nothing because we have one of the best coaches and best qb's in the nation and I can't watch them beat on an SEC team (which they will do next year in whatever bowl they are part of... I will happily guarantee that).

    The Big 10 sucks. I get that. But until you lose you should get a chance to see how far you can go. I am just whining....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

  2. #152
    Cyburbian Brocktoon's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Promoting synergies...
    Posts
    3,558
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    They are ranked 9th in the country and most likely would be higher if they mattered. If they beat Michigan and won the Big 10 conference they would most likely be ranked in the top 5.

    It means nothing because once they beat Michigan the season ends and I can't enjoy my seasonal bowl game. I means nothing because we have one of the best coaches and best qb's in the nation and I can't watch them beat on an SEC team (which they will do next year in whatever bowl they are part of... I will happily guarantee that).

    The Big 10 sucks. I get that. But until you lose you should get a chance to see how far you can go. I am just whining....
    I am just messing with you...tOSU is legit. Too bad they did not play anyone that mattered for their out of conference games. When they play Penn St will be called the Sactioned Bowl?
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

  3. #153
    OH....IO Hink's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hang on Sloopy...land
    Posts
    9,744
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    I am just messing with you...tOSU is legit. Too bad they did not play anyone that mattered for their out of conference games. When they play Penn St will be called the Sactioned Bowl?
    I hope. From now on out they should play for the Banned Trophy.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

  4. #154
    Cyburbian Planit's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Posts
    7,036
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    It means nothing because once they beat Michigan the season ends and I can't enjoy my seasonal bowl game. I means nothing because we have one of the best coaches and best qb's in the nation and I can't watch them beat on an SEC team (which they will do next year in whatever bowl they are part of... I will happily guarantee that).
    I am just whining....
    It also means you don't have to loose another friendly bet in the bowl season.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

  5. #155
    OH....IO Hink's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hang on Sloopy...land
    Posts
    9,744
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    It also means you don't have to loose another friendly bet in the bowl season.
    I have my payment to you planned out... it is funny how much time I will have after November this year... just you wait...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

  6. #156
    Cyburbian Planit's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Posts
    7,036
    Week 9's interesting games (which aren't too many)

    #2 Florida vs. #10 Georgia (in Jacksonville)
    #14 Texas Tech vs. #3 Kansas State
    #5 Notre Dame vs. #8 Oklahoma
    #11 Mississippi State vs. #1 Alabama (maybe)

    comedic regional value:
    tOSU vs. PSU
    UNC vs, NCSU
    (I included these since btrage informed me of games like Michigan vs. Michigan State last week)
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

  7. #157
    Cyburbian Bubba's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Above urban19's plane field
    Posts
    2,324
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    [#2 Florida vs. #10 Georgia (in Jacksonville)
    Woof...just about the ugliest game (on both sides) I've ever seen.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

  8. #158
    OH....IO Hink's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hang on Sloopy...land
    Posts
    9,744
    Notre Dame v. Alabama for the Championship would end in a really big loss for the Irish.

    Here's to hoping for K State v. Alabama..... I think Collin Klein could eat up Alabama.... Go anyone but the SEC!!!
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

  9. #159
    Cyburbian Planit's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Posts
    7,036
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    Woof...just about the ugliest game (on both sides) I've ever seen.
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Notre Dame v. Alabama for the Championship would end in a really big loss for the Irish.

    Here's to hoping for K State v. Alabama..... I think Collin Klein could eat up Alabama.... Go anyone but the SEC!!!
    bubba, it was a truely ugly game by all respects. No flow. Penalty after penalty after penalty. Here's another turnover. Every score except one was a result of a turnover. UGH!

    Florida was not even suppossed to be in the thick of it all in the preseason. Oh well.

    K-State vs. 'Bama would be a good game BUT don't hate the conference hinky, hate the game.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

  10. #160
    Cyburbian Planit's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Posts
    7,036
    Week 10 is upon us:

    #16 Texas A&M vs. #15 Mississippi State
    #23 Texas vs. #18 Texas Tech
    #4 Oregon vs. #17 USC
    #1 Alabama vs. #5 LSU
    #24 Okalhoma State vs. #2 Kansas State
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

  11. #161
    Cyburbian Planit's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Posts
    7,036
    #1 Bama loses and neither side did not look like they played well. Florida barely escaped with a lucky win with :02 on clock.

    This week's BCS Polls:
    #1 K-State
    #2 Oregon
    #3 Notre Dame
    #4 - #9 SEC!!!

    hinky: in the AP Poll tosu is ranked #6 after 'Bama & Georgia, but in the BCS the first Big10/11/12/#? is #21 Michigan


    This is a dreaded triple posting
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

  12. #162
    OH....IO Hink's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hang on Sloopy...land
    Posts
    9,744
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    #1 Bama loses and neither side did not look like they played well. Florida barely escaped with a lucky win with :02 on clock.

    This week's BCS Polls:
    #1 K-State
    #2 Oregon
    #3 Notre Dame
    #4 - #9 SEC!!!

    hinky: in the AP Poll tosu is ranked #6 after 'Bama & Georgia, but in the BCS the first Big10/11/12/#? is #21 Michigan


    This is a dreaded triple posting
    I think Ohio State could beat ND. We would get killed by K-State and Oregon.... and Alabama. So I think we are probably ranked pretty fairly at 6. We win games. Not pretty, but they are wins. I miss Bear when we start getting ready for the yearly showdown between my Buckeyes and the school up north.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

  13. #163
    Cyburbian Brocktoon's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Promoting synergies...
    Posts
    3,558
    USC is finally starting to play some decent football but Lane Kiffin is proving he is not up to the task of coaching a national power yet. With that said I think he takes care of business in 2 weeks and ND falls to the Boys of Troy.

    Oregon is playing with almost an entire freshman d-line...which could allow for USC to get revenge on Puddle's mighty ducks of Eugene in the PAC 12 championship game.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

  14. #164
    Cyburbian btrage's avatar
    Registered
    May 2005
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Posts
    6,419
    State is projected to play on January 1. If that happens, I'll consider this crappy year to be somewhat of a success.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

  15. #165
    Cyburbian Bubba's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Above urban19's plane field
    Posts
    2,324
    And, suddenly, UGA moves up to #3 in the BCS rankings.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

  16. #166
    Cyburbian Planit's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Posts
    7,036
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    And, suddenly, UGA moves up to #3 in the BCS rankings.
    What good games this weekend. Now to see if ND falls to the Trojans (with Barkley out).


    SEC Championship with tell who gets to play in the BCS Championship - maybe yet again.


    Gators play FSU next for the state of Florida Championship.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

  17. #167
    Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Location
    De Noc
    Posts
    17,718
    Utah State Aggies are good.

    CU Buffs stink!
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)


    Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

  18. #168
    Cyburbian ofos's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Slightly Off-Center
    Posts
    8,258
    Maryland and probably Rutgers to the Big Ten? Fourteen teams? Time to rename the conference? The Really Big Ten? Oh, wait a minute, I've got it! The BFD Ten.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

  19. #169
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wherever
    Posts
    1,181
    Both those teams seem kind of out of place in that conference. I can understand Rutgers leaving the Big East but Maryland seemed right at home in the ACC. Now I wouldn't be surprised to see Clemson and FSU jump ship then if Maryland gets out without paying an obscene amount of money.

  20. #170
    Cyburbian Brocktoon's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Promoting synergies...
    Posts
    3,558
    Quote Originally posted by Blide View post
    Both those teams seem kind of out of place in that conference. I can understand Rutgers leaving the Big East but Maryland seemed right at home in the ACC. Now I wouldn't be surprised to see Clemson and FSU jump ship then if Maryland gets out without paying an obscene amount of money.
    The Big 10 TV contract comes up soon and having teams in the Washington DC (#9) Baltimore (#26) and New York City (#1) TV makes perfect sense from a $$$ standpoint.

    I love the idea...the closer to 4 super conferences the closer to a real play off where the champions of each conference play to determine the best team in college football.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

  21. #171
    Cyburbian btrage's avatar
    Registered
    May 2005
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Posts
    6,419
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    The Big 10 TV contract comes up soon and having teams in the Washington DC (#9) Baltimore (#26) and New York City (#1) TV makes perfect sense from a $$$ standpoint.

    I love the idea...the closer to 4 super conferences the closer to a real play off where the champions of each conference play to determine the best team in college football.
    Maryland and Rutgers are also both members in the American Association of Universities, which the Big 10 covets.

    Remember, this is also with basketball. While Maryland won't have that much of an impact with football, they are historically a good basketball program, having won the NCAA tourney in 2002.

    I like what this does for the Big 10. I don't think they are ever going to get Notre Dame, and I don't see any other real power schools in football coming aboard.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

  22. #172
    Cyburbian Planit's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Posts
    7,036

    Big Rivals Playing This Week

    Here's a look at them:

    TCU v Texas
    Ohio v Kent State
    LSU v Arkansas
    Utah v Colorado
    Washigton v Washignton State
    Arizona State v Arizona
    Georgia Tech v Georgia
    Michigan v Ohio State
    Illinois v Northwestern
    Virginia v Virginia Tech
    Indiana v Purdue
    Kentucky v Tennessee
    Texas State v Texas San Antono
    Baylor v Texas Tech
    Oregon v Oregon State
    Auburn v Alabama
    Florida v Florida State
    Oklahoma State v Oklahoma
    South Carolina v Clemson
    Mississippi State v Ole Miss
    Notre Dame v USC
    Stanford v UCLA

    Certainly some of these are much bigger than others, but there sure are a bunch to keep track of over the long weekend.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

  23. #173
    Cyburbian Bubba's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Above urban19's plane field
    Posts
    2,324
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Kentucky v Tennessee
    The Fired Coach Bowl
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

  24. #174
    Cyburbian Planit's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Posts
    7,036
    bubba want say you to this scenario:

    Florida beats FSU
    UGA beats GaTech
    UGA beats Bama in SEC Championship
    ND loses to USC

    Could Florida play Georgia in the BCS Championship game?!?!?!?!?!? REMATCH!
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

  25. #175
    OH....IO Hink's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hang on Sloopy...land
    Posts
    9,744
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Here's a look at them:

    TCU v Texas
    Ohio v Kent State
    LSU v Arkansas
    Utah v Colorado
    Washigton v Washignton State
    Arizona State v Arizona
    Georgia Tech v Georgia
    Michigan v Ohio State
    Illinois v Northwestern
    Virginia v Virginia Tech
    Indiana v Purdue
    Kentucky v Tennessee
    Texas State v Texas San Antono
    Baylor v Texas Tech
    Oregon v Oregon State
    Auburn v Alabama
    Florida v Florida State
    Oklahoma State v Oklahoma
    South Carolina v Clemson
    Mississippi State v Ole Miss
    Notre Dame v USC
    Stanford v UCLA

    Certainly some of these are much bigger than others, but there sure are a bunch to keep track of over the long weekend.
    Can we be honest. Only one matters. It is the most important, unimportant game on this year's schedule!


    Let's go Buckeye's!

    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    bubba want say you to this scenario:

    Florida beats FSU
    UGA beats GaTech
    UGA beats Bama in SEC Championship
    ND loses to USC

    Could Florida play Georgia in the BCS Championship game?!?!?!?!?!? REMATCH!
    God I hope not. That would be a terrible game. With Oregon losing, we all lost a great championship game opportunity. Not sure if Florida or Georgia deserve to play for the NC. KState surely doesn't. I would pick A&M over Bama.

    My hope is that if we HAVE to have an SEC team (which it seems like we do), that Georgia makes it because I am pretty confident they would lose to ND. Go every conference but the SEC
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Closed thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

  1. 2013 College Football Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 300
    Last post: 07 Jan 2014, 2:00 PM
  2. 2011 College Football Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 385
    Last post: 11 Jan 2012, 3:15 PM
  3. 2008 College Football Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 176
    Last post: 12 Jan 2009, 4:20 PM
  4. 2007 College Football Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 272
    Last post: 09 Jan 2008, 1:41 PM
  5. Replies: 23
    Last post: 18 Oct 2006, 4:13 PM