Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 College Football Thread

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Can we be honest. Only one matters. It is the most important, unimportant game on this year's schedule!
    Agreed. GO BLUE!!!! Win one for teh Bear!!!
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Really hoping to see FSU and Clemson win just to mess with everyone. Both teams have a realistic chance of doing that. If Clemson wins, the ACC may actually get two teams in the BCS bowls again this year.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    bubba want say you to this scenario:

Florida beats FSU
    UGA beats GaTech
    UGA beats Bama in SEC Championship
    ND loses to USC

Could Florida play Georgia in the BCS Championship game?!?!?!?!?!? REMATCH!
    Yikes - not sure I want to give y'all a rematch.

My hope is that if we HAVE to have an SEC team (which it seems like we do), that Georgia makes it because I am pretty confident they would lose to ND. Go every conference but the SEC
    We handed the Domers the last time we played them with a national title on the line.

EDIT: The early Vegas line has UGA as a 1-point favorite over Notre Dame...
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Well the Buckeyes did what everyone thought would happen... they started another long winning streak against a pretty sub-par team from up north.

I know many people think that it will be a good rivalry for years to come... but Brady Hoke isn't a good coach. He got lucky with Robinson last year, and it seems this year that defenses have figured out the scheme. I foresee Hoke getting two more years, then getting the Charlie Weis treatment. I would guess Michigan will try to actually get a good coach after that instead of going "in house". There are very few coaches who are good that went to Michigan. Instead of making this rivalry boring (like Rich Rod and now Hoke) get a big name and go after us.

I hate Michigan only one game a year. Otherwise I want them to win because they are in the Big 10. I would love for them to not be so irrelevant. Ahh well, it feels good to end the season undefeated even if we don't get a bowl. 12-0. I like knowing that it won't be the last one either.

If ND loses, there is only one team that didn't lose this year. But for the sake of sanity, I sure hope ND wins it all.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Well the Buckeyes did what everyone thought would happen... they started another long winning streak against a pretty sub-par team from up north.

I know many people think that it will be a good rivalry for years to come... but Brady Hoke isn't a good coach. He got lucky with Robinson last year, and it seems this year that defenses have figured out the scheme. I foresee Hoke getting two more years, then getting the Charlie Weis treatment. I would guess Michigan will try to actually get a good coach after that instead of going "in house". There are very few coaches who are good that went to Michigan. Instead of making this rivalry boring (like Rich Rod and now Hoke) get a big name and go after us.

I hate Michigan only one game a year. Otherwise I want them to win because they are in the Big 10. I would love for them to not be so irrelevant. Ahh well, it feels good to end the season undefeated even if we don't get a bowl. 12-0. I like knowing that it won't be the last one either.

If ND loses, there is only one team that didn't lose this year. But for the sake of sanity, I sure hope ND wins it all.
    Now that's a gracious winner. Sarcasm intended. Best you could do against a "pretty sub-par team" at home was win by 5 points? That may say something about your strength of schedule.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2005
    So...my beloved Dawgs versus Bama for the SEC/National Championship (oh, yeah, and the annoyance of having to beat Notre Dame in a superfluous extra game...just pass us our trophy already).
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Now that's a gracious winner. Sarcasm intended. Best you could do against a "pretty sub-par team" at home was win by 5 points? That may say something about your strength of schedule.
    Last time I checked, there are two teams that happen to be undefeated. Strength of schedule is cute, but in the end, you just have to win all the games you schedule. It is nice to be a gracious winner, but when you have been through so much in the last year, it is nice to be a jerk about it every once and a while as well... especially when it is Michigan.

I would argue it doesn't matter how awful Michigan or Ohio State are, it is always a good game. That is why it is called "The Game". A win is a win, and I am pretty glad we got it. Unfortunately, because of some stupid kids, and a coach who didn't feel the need to do what is right, I can't brag about beating an SEC team (or more likely losing) in the National Championship game. Although this year, I would have loved to have played ND for the NC.....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Unfortunately, because of some stupid kids, and a coach who didn't feel the need to do what is right, I can't brag about beating an SEC team (or more likely losing) in the National Championship game.
    I hope you're not serious about the beating an SEC team part. There are 6 teams in the SEC that won 10 games and OSU would lose to all of them. Just because you beat everyone in your garbage conference doesn't put you on a par with the SEC.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    I hope you're not serious about the beating an SEC team part. There are 6 teams in the SEC that won 10 games and OSU would lose to all of them. Just because you beat everyone in your garbage conference doesn't put you on a par with the SEC.
    Maybe not. But one game, you never know. tOSU was supposed to get blasted by Miami in 2002. We saw how that worked out.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Note that I said probably lose... I think Alabama is overrated and yet I agree Ohio State would probably lose. Since Alabama can't beat Texas A&M I strongly doubt Ohio State could. I think Georgia is better than Alabama and therefore don't think the Buckeye's could fare well in that game. I like our chances against Florida / LSU / S.C. Those teams have proved they can be beat or at least allow inferior teams to stay in contention. If you put Braxton Miller in the position to win, he does.

I like my chances going forward. I enjoy that Urban Meyer will help usher in the Big10 again being the premier conference, or at least be comparable to the SEC. I surely hope that if we beat SEC teams regularly (as they have done of the Big 10 recently), the world will again rank based on merit not based on conference. But who knows, maybe Alabama, LSU, and Florida will forever be top 5 ranked teams. I doubt it though.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Enjoy that post-season bowl game!

Well the Buckeyes did what everyone thought would happen... they started another long winning streak against a pretty sub-par team from up north. ....
    Oh, wait...

In other news the operatives who've previously purchased a day sponsorship on Michigan Radio, and forced us to listen to a couple lines from "Across the Field" (TOSU fight song) several times all day...they didn't do that this year. Graduated? Arrested?

Last edited by Veloise; 26 Nov 2012 at 9:51 AM. Reason: added image showing a reformed i-dotter

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Graduated? Arrested?
    Turns out they were selling memorabilia to fund that....

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I like my chances going forward. I enjoy that Urban Meyer will help usher in the Big10 again being the premier conference, or at least be comparable to the SEC. I surely hope that if we beat SEC teams regularly (as they have done of the Big 10 recently), the world will again rank based on merit not based on conference. But who knows, maybe Alabama, LSU, and Florida will forever be top 5 ranked teams. I doubt it though.
    I do think Urban Meyer will rebuild OSU into a perrenial national power, but I don't think a resurgent OSU will lead the rest of the conference to improve to the extent where it can be competitive with the SEC.

I don't agree with everything in this article, but I think there is definitely some truth in terms of where the football talent is and what this means for future conference success:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...ryland-rutgers

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Such an attractive design

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I do think Urban Meyer will rebuild OSU into a perrenial national power, but I don't think a resurgent OSU will lead the rest of the conference to improve to the extent where it can be competitive with the SEC.

I don't agree with everything in this article, but I think there is definitely some truth in terms of where the football talent is and what this means for future conference success:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...ryland-rutgers
    Good article. I agree completely. No argument there. My hope lives with the expectation that Ohio State will lead the Big10 to get better. Not sure if that will happen though... I guess we shall see.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    I'm curious as to what will happen to the ACC now. It's pretty clear that it's turning into a basketball conference like the Big East. There's just not enough competition in football to really produce teams that are competitive in other conferences. So it begs the question as to what the more football oriented schools like Clemson and FSU will do.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    It's Great to Be a FLORIDA GATOR!

For a team that was N/R and 22 in preseason polls, the Gators were very underrated. Since this time last year they won their bowl game (vs. tosu), won every game except a turnover ladened game against bubba's Dawgs and finished (so far) ranked #4. Not Bad At All. It's too bad I don't get to see them throttle ND in the BCSNC. Truth be told it was a good year.

On another note - the coaches firings are a plenty - add Tom O'Brien of NCSU to the pile.

hinky - your team has a good coach, now it needs a better conference (& schedule).
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jan 2005

For a team that was N/R and 22 in preseason polls, the Gators were very underrated. Since this time last year they won their bowl game (vs. tosu), won every game except a turnover ladened game against bubba's Dawgs and finished (so far) ranked #4. Not Bad At All. It's too bad I don't get to see them throttle ND in the BCSNC. Truth be told it was a good year.

On another note - the coaches firings are a plenty - add Tom O'Brien of NCSU to the pile.

hinky - your team has a good coach, now it needs a better conference (& schedule).
    And congrats to the Gators. They will most likely finish #2 in the final standings if they win their bowl game. That is a good year.

I will be putting my full loser apparel on and taking a photo over the Christmas season, so I will meet my promise within 365 days of when I lost the bet

Registered
    May 2005

I'd rather be tOSU and stand out within the Big 10, as opposed to being one of many in the SEC. No one is arguing strength of conference, but theoretically wouldn't tOSU have a better shot at the BCS title than any one SEC team in that scenario?
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I'd rather be tOSU and stand out within the Big 10, as opposed to being one of many in the SEC. No one is arguing strength of conference, but theoretically wouldn't tOSU have a better shot at the BCS title than any one SEC team in that scenario?
    Big fish in a little pond theory.
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Teddy Bridgewater has to be the toughest player in football, what with a painfully sprained ankle and broken wrist! The guy could barely walk yet there he was leading the UofL downfield to victory. Wow!
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    May 2005
    Let's assume the Big 10 continues its expansion after Rutgers and Maryland, and adds two more teams, creating a 16-team super conference.

At that point, they MUST change the name of the conference. Well maybe not, since Jim Delaney may still be the head of the conference.

Anyways, what could this expanded conference be called?

The Big Money Grab?

Registered
    May 2002
    Why would they need to change it? The BIG is a brand, and a very lucrative one, it's not going away. I don't think it's a big deal. But yeah, I agree, the whole move was about tv sets.

The best story that isn't getting much ink right now is that Kent State has a pretty decent chance to make a BCS bowl game. There is a provision that if one of the non-qualifier schools is ranked in the top 16 of the BCS standings AND finishes ahead of the winner of one of the Automatic Qualifier conferences (Louisville, we're looking at you) they will be guaranteed a spot in a BCS game. In fact, no Big East team is even ranked in the BCS this week. Right now Kent State is ranked 17th in the BCS. They need to win the MAC championship tonight (which features two top 25 teams btw) and then have someone above them lose. That will probably happen if Stanford beats UCLA in the PAC-12 game. So in that scenario Oklahoma would probably get pushed out of an at-large BCS berth by Kent State. I'm sure the tv folks will be thrilled to have a Florida State-Kent State Orange Bowl. Just as much as the Rose Bowl will be excited if Nebraska loses to Wisconsin and there is an 8-5 team probably playing Stanford.

Isn't it funny how if this were the Final Four it would be a huge national feel good story about Cinderella (Kent State) crashing the party but when it happens in football most people just talk about how a non-deserving team snuck their way in?
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by MD Planner View post
    Isn't it funny how if this were the Final Four it would be a huge national feel good story about Cinderella (Kent State) crashing the party but when it happens in football most people just talk about how a non-deserving team snuck their way in?
    I go back-and-forth on how I feel about schools from non-AQ conferences getting into BCS bowl games (although I am enjoying a team like Kent State that's been so bad for so long having this level of success). What I would like to see (although it will never happen) is some of the really good non-AQ schools get access to some of the better non-BCS bowl games instead of being relegated to the two or three bottom-tier bowls their conference has a tie-in with...there's always one or two bowls per year that would probably be better with a one-loss MAC team instead of a fifth/sixth-place and five-loss ACC or Big 12 team.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I guess ip is happy with NIU making a BCS Bowl game. Their only loss was to Iowa and they'll have a really tough one against Florida State.

The Gators face Louisville, whose head coach (Charlie Strong) was the great defensive coordinator for the Gators for their 2 National Championship teams in '06 & '08.

Closed thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. 2013 College Football Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 300
    Last post: 07 Jan 2014, 2:00 PM
  2. 2011 College Football Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 385
    Last post: 11 Jan 2012, 3:15 PM
  3. 2008 College Football Thread