Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: 2012 College Football Thread

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    I guess ip is happy with NIU making a BCS Bowl game. Their only loss was to Iowa and they'll have a really tough one against Florida State.
    I am with Kirk Herbstreit on this one... this is a joke. MAC schools should not be allowed to play in the BCS. They lost to Iowa who was the laughing stock of the Big10 who was the laughing stock of the entire college football system this year.

They did have a big win over Kansas.

This isn't basketball. This isn't about Cinderellas. In basketball, everyone has a shot on the right day. That isn't the case in college football. This is about teams that deserve to play in bowl games. No MAC school has ever deserved to play in a BCS bowl game, and once they get killed by Florida State, I hope we all realize that there is a reason that no one watches MAC football. If you are talented enough you go to the Big10. You go to the SEC. You go to the Big12. MAC football is a waste of money and effort on the budgets of small schools, who could be doing so much more with that money.

Although I am sure it is a good thing that NIU is required to buy 17,500 tickets to the game, when they couldn't even get that many people to see them during the year..... what a joke.

P.S. You should have to win 8 games to get to play in a bowl game. Winning half your games should not make you eligible for a bowl. You should have to win 2/3rd of your games or beat X number of ranked opponents. You beat 3 ranked opponents you are eligible. You get 8 wins you are eligible. All the rest of you, try harder next year.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    I am with Kirk Herbstreit on this one... this is a joke. MAC schools should not be allowed to play in the BCS. They lost to Iowa who was the laughing stock of the Big10 who was the laughing stock of the entire college football system this year.
    I'm there too. I also think that the Big 10 should have given up two of their bowl slots since the two top teams by record were not bowl eligible. It's going to be another embarrassing year for bowl performances.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Apr 2006

They did have a big win over Kansas.

This isn't basketball. This isn't about Cinderellas. In basketball, everyone has a shot on the right day. That isn't the case in college football. This is about teams that deserve to play in bowl games. No MAC school has ever deserved to play in a BCS bowl game, and once they get killed by Florida State, I hope we all realize that there is a reason that no one watches MAC football. If you are talented enough you go to the Big10. You go to the SEC. You go to the Big12. MAC football is a waste of money and effort on the budgets of small schools, who could be doing so much more with that money.

Although I am sure it is a good thing that NIU is required to buy 17,500 tickets to the game, when they couldn't even get that many people to see them during the year..... what a joke.
    Preach on brother man!!!

You forgot NIU's signature win...Kent St...
    P.S. You should have to win 8 games to get to play in a bowl game. Winning half your games should not make you eligible for a bowl. You should have to win 2/3rd of your games or beat X number of ranked opponents. You beat 3 ranked opponents you are eligible. You get 8 wins you are eligible. All the rest of you, try harder next year.
    If this were the case then there would be only 10 bowl games. I like the bowls but they could get ride of 8 or so. I would be fine with requiring a winning record (ie 7 wins) or more but I like the extra three weeks of college football even if I am watching SMU play Frenso State.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Everyone in our Bowl Season Pick'em selected 'Bama to win the BCS National Championship.

Other oddities was the tie-breaker which is the total points scored in the BCS Champ game - 39, 34, 36, 32, 39 & 35

Other unanimous picks are: UCF, Arizona, Lou-Monroe, Air Force, WVU, TCU, USC, LSU, Okie St, South Carolina, UGA, Stanford, FSU, Florida, TA&M, & Kent State
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Still seems weird to me that Florida State gets to play an easier team than Clemson despite being in a BCS bowl. Who'd you rather play, LSU or North Illinois? It's kind of funny, a Clemson win would bring more prestige to the ACC than an FSU win.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Blide View post
    Still seems weird to me that Florida State gets to play an easier team than Clemson despite being in a BCS bowl. Who'd you rather play, LSU or North Illinois? It's kind of funny, a Clemson win would bring more prestige to the ACC than an FSU win.
    NIU and Louisville have zero bidness being in a BCS bowl...and the Sugar Bowl should be UGA vs. Oklahoma, dadgumit. (No offense to the resident Gators)
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Apr 2006
    FSU made a close game out of what should have been a blow out. NIU was completely overmatched but FSU did not put it away until the 4th quarter.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    FSU made a close game out of what should have been a blow out. NIU was completely overmatched but FSU did not put it away until the 4th quarter.
    If NIU would have won it would have caused a lot of trouble. People would have tried to make an argument that the MAC shouldn't defund football.... which is a weak argument. Now at least the world can once again realize that the MAC can't afford football, and that the Big 6 conferences are the only places that football should live.

P.S. The Big10 sure did better than I would have expected against those SEC powerhouses. For such a down year in the Big10, they almost pulled off some upsets. They didn't, but it sure looked like it would be for a good portion of a couple of those games. I like how this bodes for the end of the SEC dominance in college football. We shall see...
    Last edited by Hink; 02 Jan 2013 at 11:31 AM.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Was happy to see LSU lose.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    The Big10 sure did better than I would have expected against those SEC powerhouses. For such a down year in the Big10, they almost pulled off some upsets. They didn't, but it sure looked like it would be for a good portion of a couple of those games. I like how this bodes for the end of the SEC dominance in college football. We shall see...
    Hooray for moral victories?
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    Hooray for moral victories?
    With the season the Big10 had... yep moral victories are pretty nice.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Now at least the world can once again realize that the MAC can't afford football, and that the Big 6 conferences are the only places that football should live.
    I agree with your premise, but this is a little unfair in that some non big-6 schools have had success in recent years. Look at Boise State, TCU, and Utah- schools that won BCS bowls before they were in Big-6 conferences. Problem is the MAC schools (my alma mater included) have deluded themselves into thinking they can be the next TCU or Boise St.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    I agree with your premise, but this is a little unfair in that some non big-6 schools have had success in recent years. Look at Boise State, TCU, and Utah- schools that won BCS bowls before they were in Big-6 conferences. Problem is the MAC schools (my alma mater included) have deluded themselves into thinking they can be the next TCU or Boise St.
    TCU and Utah are in the Big6 now...

Boise State could be if they wanted.

Ohio, Ball State (my alma mater), and NIU would not be picked up by any reasonable Big6 conference. They lack the ability to ever become anything but good once in a blue moon. Ohio will be horrible once they lose their aging coach. Ball State was good for one year because they had the BIG Hoke. And I say good with a grain of salt. Losing 2 games all season in the MAC is like being the best looking guy at a party with only seals. It doesn't take much.

My problem is that having success one year is a flash in the pan. Which for some strange reason makes otherwise reasonable people think that their team is worthy of wasting a TON of money on. You are not going to ever get the success that Boise has found in the MAC. Marshall had it for a year... they left the MAC and how are they?

The MAC is the Mid-American conference. It is Mid-level players. It is the left overs. I know that is harsh, but the fact that otherwise smart schools are "investing" in football teams at these schools pains me. Why would you ever think losing millions of dollars a year is a good investment? Because one day you might make it to the Two Dump Bowl and have to pay for tickets you can't sell? Come on.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    But then you have conferences like the Big East or ACC where half the schools are never competitive in football. You got schools such VT, FSU, and Clemson which have solid football programs playing schools like Wake Forest, Duke, and Boston College which are no better than MAC teams.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Blide View post
    But then you have conferences like the Big East or ACC where half the schools are never competitive in football. You got schools such VT, FSU, and Clemson which have solid football programs playing schools like Wake Forest, Duke, and Boston College which are no better than MAC teams.
    Yet those schools can support a bad football team... with their basketball team. MAC schools can't do that either. Instead, MAC schools should be looking to be like the A-10 and push basketball where they have a chance. Michigan and Indiana are great basketball states... they could do well if they had more funding.

Instead of losing millions a year, a smart AD that had some balls, could really change the dynamic of the MAC by getting rid of the football program and putting that money into recruiting and facilities for the basketball team.

You think Duke Athletics is doing alright without a relevant football team? Yep? What about Wake Forest? Exactly. It is just good business sense.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    TCU and Utah are in the Big6 now...

Boise State could be if they wanted.

Ohio, Ball State (my alma mater), and NIU would not be picked up by any reasonable Big6 conference. They lack the ability to ever become anything but good once in a blue moon. Ohio will be horrible once they lose their aging coach. Ball State was good for one year because they had the BIG Hoke. And I say good with a grain of salt. Losing 2 games all season in the MAC is like being the best looking guy at a party with only seals. It doesn't take much.

My problem is that having success one year is a flash in the pan. Which for some strange reason makes otherwise reasonable people think that their team is worthy of wasting a TON of money on. You are not going to ever get the success that Boise has found in the MAC. Marshall had it for a year... they left the MAC and how are they?

The MAC is the Mid-American conference. It is Mid-level players. It is the left overs. I know that is harsh, but the fact that otherwise smart schools are "investing" in football teams at these schools pains me. Why would you ever think losing millions of dollars a year is a good investment? Because one day you might make it to the Two Dump Bowl and have to pay for tickets you can't sell? Come on.
    TCU, Utah and Boise St. were not in Big-6 conferences when they won BCS Bowls. That was my point. I am not arguing for the MAC.. just to be clear.

Yet those schools can support a bad football team... with their basketball team. MAC schools can't do that either. Instead, MAC schools should be looking to be like the A-10 and push basketball where they have a chance. Michigan and Indiana are great basketball states... they could do well if they had more funding.

Instead of losing millions a year, a smart AD that had some balls, could really change the dynamic of the MAC by getting rid of the football program and putting that money into recruiting and facilities for the basketball team.

You think Duke Athletics is doing alright without a relevant football team? Yep? What about Wake Forest? Exactly. It is just good business sense.
    There's no money in college basketball.
    Last edited by Gedunker; 02 Jan 2013 at 5:56 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Anybody else watching Florida/Louisville? Gators are embarrassing themselves pretty badly now. Still a lot of time left if they wake up.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Due to Florida getting stomped I am extending my promise from last year for an additional 30 days. This seems reasonable to me

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Due to Florida getting stomped I am extending my promise from last year for an additional 30 days. This seems reasonable to me
    ahem, Planit!

No that game was awful us Gators....there were glimmers, but not enough to come back.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Dealys, delays, delays.

Gaggin' Gators were horrible last night. Seems like the boys hit Bourbon Street too hard before the game. Congrats to Charlie Strong, former defensive coordinator for Florida for 15 years, and the Louisvillle football team. They wanted it more.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    NIU and Louisville have zero bidness being in a BCS bowl...and the Sugar Bowl should be UGA vs. Oklahoma, dadgumit. (No offense to the resident Gators)
    Care to amend your comment now that UofL put a beatdown on the Gators?
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Jan 2005
    ^Yeah. Not an impressive showing by the SEC in the bowl season this year.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Care to amend your comment now that UofL put a beatdown on the Gators?
    Nope, but congrats to the Cardinals for taking care of business. I'm sure that was a very satisfying win for Charlie Strong.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Hey just wondering if anyone saw how the MAC did in bowl games this year? Oh wait they lost 5 and won 2? And the two they won were against LA Monroe and Western Kentucky?

Okay I was just checking to see if my argument against MAC football was weakened or not. I feel better now.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Bama wins big tonight. Take the points.

Closed thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. 2013 College Football Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 300
    Last post: 07 Jan 2014, 2:00 PM
  2. 2011 College Football Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club